StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I saw it in another thread, but I can't remember which one. When you install the SW-Motech c-stand and skid plate, it's easier to do one before the other because of the bolt locations, but I can't remember whether to install the c-stand or skid plate first. :confused:

Also: Are there handguards that work besides the ones from Suzuki or do they all seem to have clearance issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I cant answer the first part as I have a Enduro skid plate. My centerstand is on order.

The bark buster hand guards seem to be the best. When my factory ones start looking beat up, thats what I will replace them with.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know I saw it in another thread, but I can't remember which one. When you install the SW-Motech c-stand and skid plate, it's easier to do one before the other because of the bolt locations, but I can't remember whether to install the c-stand or skid plate first.
I can't show you the thread, but I do recall the OP recommended installing the skid plate first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I cant answer the first part as I have a Enduro skid plate. My centerstand is on order.

The bark buster hand guards seem to be the best. When my factory ones start looking beat up, thats what I will replace them with.
Where did you order your centerstand at? Just asking because every place I tried to order the SWM centerstand from are back ordered till like June.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:headbang:I got notice mine is backordered for a month aswell. I can wait.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:headbang:I got notice mine is backordered for a month aswell. I can wait.
I guess I will have to wait as well. I checked with 5 other vendors, all in the same boat.....guess I will have to find another way to install my lowering links. Sorry, don't mean to thread jack.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:yikes:

Yeah I called them all and they all said atleast a month. Its all those who bought before there bike arrived.. lol they took all the stock.. but hey, we get to ride arround why they look at the farkle stack.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
May have been me :)

You need to remove the kickstand to install the hanger brackets for the skid plate. If the center stand is in, no problem. If not, you will have to support the bike to get the kickstand bolts out. Beware - those bolts are on *tight* and access is limited. I used a cheater bar on my ratchet wrench to get those bolts out and in again.

Cheers.
Al..

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/72993-farkling-so-far.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May have been me :)

You need to remove the kickstand to install the hanger brackets for the skid plate. If the center stand is in, no problem. If not, you will have to support the bike to get the kickstand bolts out. Beware - those bolts are on *tight* and access is limited. I used a cheater bar on my ratchet wrench to get those bolts out and in again.

Cheers.
Al..

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/72993-farkling-so-far.html
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah what he said. I laid mine down in the front yard and used 2 1/2 foot cheater bar. Still it was ruff. I think the use jb weld or something cuz they aint coming off in a atom bomb blast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have fitted both the SW Motech centre stand (it is terrific) and the Skid plate. I did the centre stand first and then the skid plate. No problems fitting them except undoing the nasty side stand bolts (tight).

I also fitted the crash bars.

All very nicely made. I was very surprised how accurately they are made and how precisely they fit.

The instructions that come with all bits are easy to follow and y'tube is helpful too.

You will have no problems. A torque wrench would help, and some Loc-Tite.

Cheers, Jock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, meant to say, do the centrestand first (save the beautiful V-S falling on you). Also having the centrestand installed and down will give you more height to work on those nasty sidestand bolts.

J.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
SW Motech centerstand is lightyears better than Suzuki's and a lot easier to use, I also have their skidplate, crash bars, and Suzuki's handguards. I actually like the factory plastic motor cover better for looks, but it's way to expensive, and would be fitting for "on road" travel anyway. Givi will be making a skidplate soon and I like their crashbars better, whatever floats your boat! cheers--BB

·
Registered
281 Posts
SW Motech centerstand is lightyears better than Suzuki's and a lot easier to use, I also have their skidplate, crash bars, and Suzuki's handguards. I actually like the factory plastic motor cover better for looks, but it's way to expensive, and would be fitting for "on road" travel anyway. Givi will be making a skidplate soon and I like their crashbars better, whatever floats your boat! cheers--BB

Plus 1 on the GIVI engine guard, its beefy and solid.
Just look at the mounting points.:yesnod:

·
Registered
100 Posts
which comes first?

If you are using a bike stand, put the skid plate on first. It's easier to get to the bolts for the left side of the rear mount if the center stand isn't in the way.

But as other posters mentioned, the kickstand has to be temporarily disabled for the skid plate. You can get at those 2 bolts with a long extension and ujoint from the right side to finish tightening them.

The SW motech items are well made. If you think you'll be in real off road conditions where you might bottom the skid plate on a rock, take a look at the adventure motostuff skid plate. It does require side guards to be used though as they support the front of the plate. Adv MS did produce mount kits to bolt the plate to Givi or Hepco & Becker engine guards. But I think now they may only have them for the Givi guard. That's ok because the Givi guard is fine.

BTW, if you install the Givi guards, fully tighten the countersund allen screws before you get the guards on the bike. It's difficult to do so after they are installed. And use some locktite on the countersunk allen screws. I've seen 2 broken off after they loosened and another that was loose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fitted SW-Motech Barkbusters (hand guards) to my DL650 (2012).

Maybe they are made to fit a range of bikes, but I did find fitting them a challenge. I had to do minor grinding etc and the end weights etc didn't fit too well.

I have them fitted now and they look and work okay. BUT not quite up to the quality of fit my other Motech bits are.

Given a re-run opportunity I would probably go with the genuine Suzuki handguards.

Cheers J.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I fitted SW-Motech Barkbusters (hand guards) to my DL650 (2012).

Maybe they are made to fit a range of bikes, but I did find fitting them a challenge. I had to do minor grinding etc and the end weights etc didn't fit too well.

I have them fitted now and they look and work okay. BUT not quite up to the quality of fit my other Motech bits are.

Given a re-run opportunity I would probably go with the genuine Suzuki handguards.

Cheers J.
Happy with yesterday's install of the OEM Suzuki hand guards-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts