StromTrooper banner

Rusty part with low mileage. Normal?

4061 Views 21 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  MuttleyToo
Hi guys.

Cleaning the bike a little, I noticed that this part has a suspicious color, I would say that it is a little more rusty than it should with no time either. Does this look normal to you? What does it look like on your bike?

Thanks in advance

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2020 DL650
6 Posts
Having read this here before buying my 2020 Wee, I applied WD40 lithium upon receipt and do the same after most rides (always if there’s any moisture on road)

it’s still shiny after 2400mi

In this case a little preventative OCD really didn’t get any benefit.

· Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,391 Posts
On my 2016 Strom I have found rust coming thru the paint under the tank, the mirror stalks have rusted and the edges of the spot lamp cowls have also rusted. I am reasonably careful with rinsing my bikes after salty rides in winter and the like, but these rust spots tend to demonstrate poor paintwork on some aspects of the bike. I have them under control for now until I get around to tidying them up.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Clean the part with steel wool or a Scotch Bright pad, wipe clean, apply some gun blue on it. Do two or three layers of the gun blue and then once its all dry put a touch of oil on it. Problem solved. 15 minutes of your time.
Been there, done that.

· Registered
15 Posts
You did well seeing that, not many people I know ever get down and look up there, its probably one of the most neglected areas of a bike. It will never cause a problem but a bit of protective grease or oil will satisfy yours and my ocd!

· Registered
3,862 Posts
Every steering stem on every motorcycle ever made looks like that. I can't recall ever seeing one that's painted.

If it bothers you that much, go ahead and paint it.

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Mine is nicely oxidized as well, at 16 months of age. Not something I care about, personally.

Railroad couplings are forbidden to be painted, because paint obscures fine cracks for which maintenance personnel are required to inspect periodically. Thus, those couplers are always orange from surface oxidation. I'm sure those are a lot tougher than my steering stem, but it does illustrate that surface oxidation isn't necessarily a problem.

· Registered
150 Posts
Thanks guys for all the information and for taking the time to take pictures of your dear ladies (or gentlemen).

Maybe in the future I will put some paint or some kind of anti rust treatment, but for now, and seeing your pictures, I don't worry too much.
I might just paint mine too but the rust extends up into the tube anyway. My gut feel is to leave it alone since it's not really a cosmetic issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts