StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just returned from a 1100 mile trip and noticed there was some rust on the chain, mostly on the outside of the links though a little on the sprocket as well. I removed it with kerosene and a rag with wd-40. I use dupont drywax lube but did not lube it during trip. is this normal or should I go back to an oil type product? maybe it just needed it more often than 1100 miles. no rain during trip.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm sure during the 1100 mile ride you encounter some rain? Just lube and clean the chain ( especially in wet conditions) more often and you should see next to no rust.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Surface rust is no big deal as long as the chain is running smooth still. I use the dupont lube and it would be tough to get me to stop using it. It just may be showing you to do a bit better job of covering the chain when you lube it. Or in that length of a ride it may have just done its job and needed to be resprayed. In humid situations surface rust can show up in very short time.

R

·
0 Posts
I use the same stuff and dont plan on changing any time soon. I just rode down to Tampa and back last week, my chain rusted the second day down and I had ran out of my travel can of lube so it did not get lubed on the trip. Got home sprayed the WD-40 on it and let it set overnite. Resprayed it the next day and hit it with the grunge brush and Walla looks like new man. No worries your chain is fine.

RR

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Yeah, maybe it just needed it more often than 1100 miles. Chains are supposed to lubed about every three HUNDRED miles. You nearly quadrupled that. When I'm on the road I lube mine every night when I stop for the day and the chain is still warm.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Plus one on Kerosene to clean of the surface rust.
I have been using the Dupont (blue can) multi use with teflon and I notice there is another product on the dupont web site called Chain Saver lubricant (yellow can). Is anyone using the yellow can? It's difficult to determine why one would be any better than the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts