StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Leave it alone and ride more, I cleaned mine up once and it looked worse after a few thousand miles. I guess you could jet hot coat the header and exhaust, but that would be money thrown away IMO. Its a Strom, put a big skid plate on then get some dirt on it, adds character. :)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
This is turning into a solution in search of a problem. Very little heat is transferred from the pipe into the oil cooler.
And being made of Aluminum, a very good heat conducting metal, it will be just as hot as the exhaust pipe itself and thus not have any measurable effect of cooler oil. Finally, oil temperature is not a problem or else these engines would die prematurely. So all this is a non issue!

·
Registered
820 Posts
And being made of Aluminum, a very good heat conducting metal, it will be just as hot as the exhaust pipe itself and thus not have any measurable effect of cooler oil. Finally, oil temperature is not a problem or else these engines would die prematurely. So all this is a non issue!
Perhaps but "prematurely" is a relative term, my bike has 80K miles and I'd like it to keep running. Heat kills heat engines. I already found a deteriorated oil jet o-ring under the rear cam chain tensioner housing that is almost certainly due to heat loads in the rear cylinder (front o-ring was fine but I replaced both). This is probably a significant failure mode of high-mileage engines. If this mod lowers the temps even a few degrees it can make a difference. I'm willing to roll the dice on the $6.69 cost.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I like the look of the aluminum tubing too. It must be a pain to install because you have to take the exhaust apart to put it over the pipe. I'm lazy, so the pipe wrap is for me. Not to be a nay-sayer, BUT, aluminum melts at a much lower temp than steel. You could find a nice silver melted clump on your pipe after a sporty outing. Others have said that the pipe glows at night so someone might comment on the temperature stainless steel turns red versus aluminum melting. You DO see aluminum coated exhaust pipes on cars and you don't hear about the coating melting, so my concern may well be without merit.

Greywolfe could well be correct that there is no problem to "cure". I wouldn't argue that at all. I'd just rather not have the heat induced into a cooling device. Doesn't make engineering sense to me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I like the look of the aluminum tubing too. It must be a pain to install because you have to take the exhaust apart to put it over the pipe. I'm lazy, so the pipe wrap is for me. Not to be a nay-sayer, BUT, aluminum melts at a much lower temp than steel. You could find a nice silver melted clump on your pipe after a sporty outing. Others have said that the pipe glows at night so someone might comment on the temperature stainless steel turns red versus aluminum melting. You DO see aluminum coated exhaust pipes on cars and you don't hear about the coating melting, so my concern may well be without merit.
I had my header off for other reasons so for me it wasn't a big pain. There is about 1/4" gap between the header and the tube that might keep it from melting. In any event, I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it withstands the heat. Easy enough to snip it off if it causes problems. I will update the thread so no one follows me down this dead-end if it ends badly. I'll probably go to Plan-B and wrap it if doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Stainless Steel Wool

It's so easy I just had to share this. I recently ordered a new package of "Lustersheen Stainless Steel Wool Pads Fine" . Today I spent about 15 minutes total using a dry strip of 1200 grit sand paper and then buffed up the header with one of the wool pads. Came out smoother than a baby's butt. I do this 2 or 3 times a year and it stays looking like new.

Here's where I ordered it.

https://www.briwax-online.com/lusterstainlesspads.html

·
Administrator
16,609 Posts
Get the pipes all covered in caked mud, that will cover it all up quite nicely. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Get the pipes all covered in caked mud, that will cover it all up quite nicely. :laugh2:
Yeah ... that treatment works great on the chain, sprockets, wheel bearings, brake calipers, rotors and pads. It also does wonders for fork seals and if you really charge the mud holes you can flush all that great stuff up under the gas tank , streering head bearings and wiring harnesses. And ... if you spin up the back wheel and roost hard enough you can throw mud and slop all over the shock, rear suspension links and swing arm bearings. :laugh2:

I have friends that do that and after they have beaten the shit out of their bikes or wrecked them, they go buy a new $15,000 - $20,000 bike every 2-3 years or more frequently. The Dealers really love them.

I've had to work to hard for what I've got and can't bring myself to abuse my bike. I keep my machinery a whole lot longer than that and I actually enjoy performing maintenace on them as well as riding them. I rode a 1982 Honda Silverwing DL500I for 20 years and over 200,000 miles before the engine spun a bearing and I had to retire it. It still looked like a near new bike then. I rode my 06' Weestrom for 7 years and 82,000 miles before a Harley decided to run into it and totaled it. That was my 1st accident in 52 years and 350,000+ miles of riding.

My 11' Weestrom has 23,000+ miles and I've got it exactly like I want it. At last count I've added 54+ farkles/modifications and it suits me perfectly . I can always fine tune it bit but here's not another bike I'd rather have.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with you 100% Madstrom as disrespecting your bike just does not make sense. If these bikes were a piece of disposable junk I still would not let them deteriorate as some seem happy to do.

Like you I keep my bikes for the long term and looking after them is part of the fun of owning a good piece of equipment.

My 1982 Honda CX500 EC has now done 246,000km and still looks immaculate thanks to careful washing and polishing.

The exhaust pipe on my 2005 DL650 at 87000km is a bit blued but still sparkles thanks to a front mudflap, regular application of metal polish and general cleaning when dirty.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I agree with you 100% Madstrom as disrespecting your bike just does not make sense. If these bikes were a piece of disposable junk I still would not let them deteriorate as some seem happy to do.

Like you I keep my bikes for the long term and looking after them is part of the fun of owning a good piece of equipment.

My 1982 Honda CX500 EC has now done 246,000km and still looks immaculate thanks to careful washing and polishing.

The exhaust pipe on my 2005 DL650 at 87000km is a bit blued but still sparkles thanks to a front mudflap, regular application of metal polish and general cleaning when dirty.
Yeah ... I too like the patina and multi color bluing effect of the single wall stainless header. I think it's kinda cool looking.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Administrator
16,609 Posts

I do not disrespect any of my bikes but I do ride them hard and put away wet and dirty, however they are in fine mechanical operating order. I am not OCD nor do I care about keeping my bikes or cars tip top clean and tidy......waste of time for me doing other things I enjoy. To each their own of course, whatever gives you joy while spit shining and polishing your mechanical steeds. :wink2: I don't care about resale, as that is never a thought in my mind when I buy something I want. Whatever keeps you happy, entertained and makes you smile.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In any event, I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it withstands the heat. Easy enough to snip it off if it causes problems. I will update the thread so no one follows me down this dead-end if it ends badly.
Here is the update. I've ridden about 100+ miles so far with the exhaust header cover from post #19 of this thread;

It smolder a bit and shed some (glue?) pieces and was a little stinky at first but seems fine now. It looks pretty good, certainly better than that ugly mottle brown of the SS header pipe and I don't have to clean it. If it gets too burnt I can always tape everything off and hit it with some hi-temp silver paint and ride. Extra bonus: It could be blocking heat going into that oil cooler!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read that many dirt bike riders use Mop & Glo cleaner on their exhaust pipes to stop rust and its supposed to work well. It contains a polymer coating that may prevent rust. They say that one coating will last a whole riding season. My front exhaust pipe had some rust but now its improved with Mop & Glo applied with scotch brite. Also going to upgrade to the front fender extender since water travels to the pipe when riding on wet roads.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Johnd: Fun to see you pick up on a thread that's now 8 years old. I've never heard of using Mop and Glo. That could become a standard way of taking care of our pipes. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and comment. Just a note on the Mop & Glo: This stuff cleans and protects very well. This may be due to the polymer and Rosin Modified Maleic Resin content. I first read about this cleaner and polish on the Aprilia forum and I suspect that it protects better than WD-40.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts