StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and new owner of a 2002 dl1000. Shortly after buying the bike I took it to the local dealer to have a tune up done, since the maintenance records were not very up to date. Got the bike back with no major issues reported and took it on a 100km ride only to have it stall once it was warm whenever I geared down to first with the clutch in. Took the bike back to the dealer on the way home and they could find nothing wrong with it, but did notice that there was rust in the filler neck of the gas tank. After a near death experience at an intersection with the bike lurching and popping and refusing to engage into first I took it upon myself to do some investigating. The bike was behaving like my lawnmower after a long winter without stabilizer in the tank, so I removed the fuel pump and was not disappointed. not only did the fuel tank have a fair amount of free floating rust in it, 2tbsp, but when I finally got to the fuel mesh filter it was encased in a very fine rust cake! Long story short, cleaned it up and it runs much better. Still some popping in the higher gears?? Plan on sealing the tank and changing the filter this winter. Question is ; are the settings done during the tune-up worth the money with such a restricted fuel flow?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
You better find the external filter mod thread quickly

There are other things like TPS your is old probably needs changing and blowing off your intake boot

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Sea Foam won't fix the clogged fuel filter or what sounds like a bad TPS.

It also won't do much about the thumbfingered idiots at the local stealership. Maybe if you douse them in Seafoam and set them on fire. :furious:

Sounds like you'll need to re-check all the work the morons at the dealer did in order to see if they did any of it correctly. A valve check certainly shouldn't make the bike run worse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Okay, dont use Seafoam then.

Sea Foam won't fix the clogged fuel filter or what sounds like a bad TPS.

It also won't do much about the thumbfingered idiots at the local stealership. Maybe if you douse them in Seafoam and set them on fire. :furious:

Sounds like you'll need to re-check all the work the morons at the dealer did in order to see if they did any of it correctly. A valve check certainly shouldn't make the bike run worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rust

Took the beast back to the "stealership" and asked them to rectify the issues that remained since the tune-up and the rust clean-up. The mechanic seemed to know what he was looking for, cleaned the fuel injectors and problem solved! Bike is running great!:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts