StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding one and loving it at Suzuki's demo during Arizona Cyclefest I lucked into finding a 2004 Vee with 1595 miles on it and its in mint condition. The bad news is there is rust in the tank. I will run a flow test but I belive it hasen't plugged the secondary filter because the bike runs good at high RPM. The thing I am most concerened with is protecting the paint on the tank from accidental contact with any of the chemicals or coating. I have ordered the kit but its not here yet and I don't know if they have any tips in the instructions.The videos on their website show them using the product on a car's tank where spillage is of no concern. Thanks, Andy in Mesa,AZ

·
Registered
542 Posts
It rusted because the tank was not full during storage. Today's gas contains 10% ethanol which mixes and adsorbs moisture. Saw a big story on TV how the 10% ethanol is really messing up boats with tank condensation and gumming up fuel systems. I would take the tank off and put a half gallon it it a shake the crap out of it to loosing the rust. Drain upside down and do again till clean. Don't store with low levels of fuel.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There are a number of gas tank coatings that first use an acid treatment to clean the tank followed with a coating product. For a tank our size, you might want to use two bottles of the coating after one bottle of the cleaner. One guy I know puts in a bunch of pennies and shakes them around with the acid cleaner to knock off the rust and clean even better. I don't know if one brand of the kits is better than another...

Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cycles

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
how bad

Are you talking flakes floating around loose, or just scattered surface rust? If floating flakes, then, yeah, gonna need to clean it out and coat it. If mild scattered surface rust, might try adding a couple tablespoons of 2 stroke oil (no need for precision, just somewhere around there) per tank and living with it. If all you can get is ethanol gas, might want to get into using Sta-Bil marine (blue) as well, which seems to minimize problems of ethanol. Of course, if you can get non-ethanol gas, better yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This stuff worked for me in the past (little Z50 gas tank)..........

Rust Remover - Harbor Freight Tools

EVAPO-RUST...........
I'm with Mark. I've used this rust remover on quite a few things. Though not a tank. It removes all kinds of rust, and it will break down hardened fuel. I used it to soak my carb jets from my Magna.
I would be cautious on any kind of tank sealer. If the prep does not get done right, it can start to come off and clog up your system. It happened with my Magna(I bought it with the tank already done)

·
Registered
522 Posts
A gallon jug of phosphoric acid is only $15 from Home Depot. Throw in a few large nuts/chain (to break up the rust) and agitate vigorously. Let sit and and drain. Flush out with fresh water and let dry. Leaves a nice brown coating on the inside of the tank and no more rust. It won't hurt the paint if the tank is rinsed throughly.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Oxalic acid found in deck cleaner/brightener at Home Depot

Eats rust NOT the metals and also will removed any other crude

It poisonous so be careful

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey bub,
All of what has been said is very true. Clean with acid,clean some more, throw some pennies. Good info. My experience with tank sealer, or whatever name you give it, is that it will work great for a good 3-5 yrs. just understand the properties of steel and rust. The rust is intergranular, meaning it's in the metal, changing the properties of it. Acid wash and pennies will get a lot of rust out, but once rust sets it, it cannot be removed unless you cut it out and weld in new metal, or if it's small enough, sand the rust out of it.
You can tell by the picture the destruction intergranular corrosion causes. This is more for your knowledge. If you have a good welder guy, see if he can tig or if not mig the tank. If your rust is at the part of the tank where it rests on the rubber mounts, take advantage of removing rusted steel for new steel. It'll be worth it in the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts