StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
My '14 DL1000 resides at my beach house and has developed rust on a front disc and the chain in the span of 2 mos. I used Sta-Bil Rust Stopper and then Chain Wax to treat the chain, which looks fine now. Disc a different story.

My questions:
-I had a cover that only covered 3/4 of the bike but not to the floor and tightly around wheels-discs & chain were definitely exposed. Would a high quality full cover cover prevent or just deter the rust for a while?
-I assume I would do better to store the bike away from the beach, but are there any products I can use on discs/chain to inhibit rust, and if so which?
-Using the bike removed all the surface rust on the face of the front disc, but the drilled holes are still rusty. What product would remove?
-What product could I use as rust inhibitor on the various parts when I'm storing the bike (I didn't use the Rust Stopper on discs prior to last storage, as I assumed you didn't want to get anything on them).

Cheers, Fred

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
The moist salt air will get into everything no matter how it's covered unless it's stored indoors. Garage it if you can or buy a portable bike-garage; otherwise, prepare for everything to start rusting and corroding. Not to mention MICE. I have a lakefront house that gets mildewed every year. That's the price to pay :)

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Surface rust is the least of the risk ....it's electronics that suffer the most. Our mini-van was never the same after a two week trip to the keys....doors, windows all erratic ......there was always something showing up.

I'd get it well away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your issue with the rotors is not unexpected and can be attributed to flash rusting. This can happen to automobile rotors within a few days (if left unused) in humid environments (non-salt). I am not sure if there is anything you could treat the rotors with that will not affect the pads.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts

I learnt the hard way, riding unprotected for a few Northern New England winters, My wire harness and all the sensors got cancer, lucky to save my ECU, even that needed a few pins carefully cleaned

I had everything replaced oem, and extra wrap of 3M Super 88 vinyl then ACF after assembly

Not many people ride in the slop I ride in, and ya never know if it's gonna be sodium chloride, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, urea (cow piss), or beet juice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts