StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had their Russell seat apart? I'm wondering if a conversion from the old style seat pan is doable.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,356 Posts
It would be "doable". I have an early style seat I am going to use on my '12 while the original goes to Russell. Problem with the aftermarket seats is that they all use quite a bit of the factory foam to build off of. The spring part of the Russell should be transferable I think. You WILL have to cut down the foam on the edge of the seat especially toward the front and blend it to the new pan. Most of the surgery will be on the front, the '12 seat is not nearly as long in that area and will require some nice blending. The back of the '12 seat is longer, not sure what you can do there, if you shorten the seat pan a bit it will be ok as the early pan doesn't look bad with the extra space.

For all you cheapskates that will try to fit the early seat to the new bike, your biggest problem will be the rear key latch assembly. One is in the center of the pan, the other is...NOT. I can't remember which is which as I type this. I have a seat I was using on the Vee that I had modified a LOT myself. I cut it up to use short term on the '12 Wee.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, RS. An old friend has been in the auto upholstery bizz for 45+ years and if it gets done, he'll be the one to do it. He's modified and recovered seats for me before and often suggests a very creative solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts