StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, but I can't seem to find the answer. How much would I expect to pay if I sent Russell my seat and had them mail it back to me modified? Essentially, price minus in-person fitment.

Thanks.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Click on the "motorcycle reference chart", find V'Strom, it falls under the "S-2" code.

The price range is fron $470 - $710.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Keep in mind options add up fast. A one up build in vinyl is only $415. Make it a two up build in Leather and it's $660. Weigh more than about 250lbs? Add $45. Passenger 250+. Add $45. Want a rain cover. Add $40-45. Want a built in back rest in leather? $270 Heated front and rear $290.

You can clear $1k without trying very hard. I loaded up my RT seat and it was about $1100. My HD was much less, I went vinyl and didn't get a back rest. I ordered my Wee seat earlier this week, it's the best yet. Just a solo vinyl build with the heavy duty suspension. About $500 with shipping. I got an email with my build date on Tuesday, I'm scheduled for 9/22.

I've only done ride ins previously, this is the first time I've actually sent my seat. The price, excluding travel costs, is about the same. Instead of the $80 ride in charge, you pay shipping both ways. I bought an 09 Wee seat for $50, I'll be using that while mine is rebuilt. Once my seat is built I'll make that seat available as a loaner to anyone having a Russell built.

Finally, I recommend vinyl over leather. The leather needs more care, and it gets very slippery as it ages. When two up on the RT I actually have to put down some grippy tool tray liner under my pillion, otherwise she is sliding all over the place. On the HD with vinyl, not an issue.

I have a write up on my RT ride in experience at:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30415&Number=328562#Post328562

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Keep in mind options add up fast. A one up build in vinyl is only $415. Make it a two up build in Leather and it's $660. Weigh more than about 250lbs? Add $45. Passenger 250+. Add $45. Want a rain cover. Add $40-45. Want a built in back rest in leather? $270 Heated front and rear $290.

You can clear $1k without trying very hard. I loaded up my RT seat and it was about $1100. My HD was much less, I went vinyl and didn't get a back rest. I ordered my Wee seat earlier this week, it's the best yet. Just a solo vinyl build with the heavy duty suspension. About $500 with shipping. I got an email with my build date on Tuesday, I'm scheduled for 9/22.

I've only done ride ins previously, this is the first time I've actually sent my seat. The price, excluding travel costs, is about the same. Instead of the $80 ride in charge, you pay shipping both ways. I bought an 09 Wee seat for $50, I'll be using that while mine is rebuilt. Once my seat is built I'll make that seat available as a loaner to anyone having a Russell built.

Finally, I recommend vinyl over leather. The leather needs more care, and it gets very slippery as it ages. When two up on the RT I actually have to put down some grippy tool tray liner under my pillion, otherwise she is sliding all over the place. On the HD with vinyl, not an issue.

I have a write up on my RT ride in experience at:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30415&Number=328562#Post328562
Given your screen name, I suspect you may be slightly biased.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Given your screen name, I suspect you may be slightly biased.
Yes, my last name is Russell. No, I don't have anything to do with Russell Day Long Saddles. Actually, the current owners aren't named Russell either, they bought it a while back when the Russell's retired.

Yes, I am biased in the sense that I am an extremely satisfied customer. My V-strom will be my third RDL seat. At ~300 lbs there is no reasonable alternative that I've tried.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Yes, I am biased in the sense that I am an extremely satisfied customer. My V-strom will be my third RDL seat. At ~300 lbs there is no reasonable alternative that I've tried.
I've never met a owner who isn't.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got mine, vinyl cover, extra height, pushed back an inch and delivered to TN for $458. My wife's russell sport seat was $360. I have had a small problem with my seat but the service handling it was fantastic!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Got mine, vinyl cover, extra height, pushed back an inch and delivered to TN for $458. My wife's russell sport seat was $360. I have had a small problem with my seat but the service handling it was fantastic!
What bike is the sport seat on? Any pictures? I've been thinking of that as a possibility as well.....

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
[krussel]
......Finally, I recommend vinyl over leather. The leather needs more care, and it gets very slippery as it ages......[/QUOTE]
No, no, no. A custom seat is all about comfort and we want the most we can get. IMO leather is always more comfortable than vinyl. If you are sliding around on leather seat then the slope of sitting portion is not correct. A little saddle soap every few months is all it takes to keep leather like new.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm an ATGATT guy, so there are typically at least a pair of jeans and then my overpants between me and the seating surface. I'm convinced I can't feel any difference between leather and vinyl on the Russell. I've had the leather, then the vinyl, and my Wee seat is there right now, I went with Vinyl again.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My Russell arrived last night. Will have 700 miles on it by some time tomorrow. My only concern from merely sitting on it is that my legs are an inch and a half shorter than they were when I took the old seat off.

More later...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts