StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for those of you with hard cases....side and top. I know that most of you constantly run with your top case and usually take off the side cases, but I am wondering......

Is it bad to run with the side cases on all the time? Specifically, I have the GIVI 45's. Do side case mounts and the cases eventually wear and become loose?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I have the E45s also as sidecases and do not use them on a regular basis. They are used mostly for trips.

I would imagine that the lock(top mounting point) would wear over time, but probably on the cases themselves and not the racks. More so if the cases were loaded up fairly heavy. The rack mounts are metal and the case locks are plastic I do believe. When I have mine loaded down for a trip I run a bungee cord across the seat from handle to handle, just as a precaution. Keeps the cases from rattling and takes the weight off the top mounts.

The Givi products are very durable though, so I would not expect anything to wear out quickly. If they did wear out and cause problems I'd expect it to take years to become noticable.

If you would have any problems, Givi does have a 2 year warranty on there products and they do honor it and are easy to deal with. I found that out when my first set of engine guards broke and they replaced them with a revised design that came out right after I purchased them. All it cost me was shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I swap my E46N Givi top box from my Concours to my Wee so it's ALWAYS with me, and has been for 37,000 miles on the Concours, 2,000 miles on the Wee The Concours side bags are also plastic with aluminum supports, and not any more heavy-duty (probably less) than the Givi's, and few Connie riders ever take them off. I never do. Usually have about ten pounds or so of crap in them, also. Every now and then some Connie rider will report a lock wearing out and a bag coming off, but it's rare. Mine are bolted on for that reason and also to deter theft. So far, no noticeable wear on anything. YMMV.

·
Registered
597 Posts
For the amount of money you guys pay for those side cases, I would run them all the time too!

Not sayin I wouldnt like to have some, Just sayin they are stupid expensive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I usually only run with my V46 topcase. Reason being that the bike is so much easier to maneuver in tight spaces, like my driveway (bumped the side-case hard into my Porsche the first day I put them on) and also, they make a whisteling noise starting at 45 mph which I can live without. Once a week I commute to the coast and back (250miles round-trip) and for that I put them on.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the amount of money you guys pay for those side cases, I would run them all the time too!

Not sayin I wouldnt like to have some, Just sayin they are stupid expensive.

Lil'Joe..... You are right...these dudes are expensive, but put it all in perspective.

What does a professional traveler spend on luggage? They pay hundreds for luggage that isn't waterproof, isn't as tough as Givi's, and doesn't have nearly the security.

With that in mind, I think the Givi's are a great bargain, especially since they will go on the side of a vehicle and be there for years.

My business colleague just spent $1,200 on business, travel luggage....My $600 investment on Givi is actually a bargain in my book. Especially since they will be holding my wife's stuff on trips and keeping her happy is the utmost priority. If Momma is happy....we are riding more!!!!

But, I think I will run my side-cases 'on' most of the time and expect them to hold up through thick and thin.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I run with the cases on all the time. One side case holds rain gear and warmer gear just in case. Top case is for everyday stuff and the other is normally empty waiting for an errand run and whatever else comes along.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I keep the side cases on permanently. I don't have a top case...that's the wrong place to put extra weight...so high and so far back. I don't put any weight back there on a bike except as a last resort on a long camping trip with a ton of gear along.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got the 06 GT Vee and run with only the top case on at the moment. Will be starting on a blood delivery service soon so the side cases will have to go on. The GT cases and frame are made by Soft in Italy and they sure do look wide, don't mind asking people if my ass looks big when their on the bike. Give it a little time and I may be able to start filtering with the cases on or change them for GIVI 35's.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I bought SW-Motech Quick Lock case mounts for a reason. Every trip uses as little luggage and as small a windshield as practical. Less weight, better weight distribution and better aerodynamics are all important to me.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would think that the reason for quik-lock removable cases includes taking them off when not in use. I just swapped top boxes for that very reason - to be able to pop it off when I'm just day-riding and want less weight and drag on the bike.

Unless you are running errands, why would you want those big ole bags on there all the time??

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been running E21s and a v46 full time. I keep tools and a raincover in one e21 and rain gerar / warm/rain clothes in the other. I use the v46 for helmet / tank bag / other daily stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Leave my E46 top box and E36 side cases on all the time. Top box gives me someplace to put my helmet when stopped. Cost too much to leave in the garage and not use!!!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
On- mostly

I leave my E41s on most of time, same with E52 top case, unless I know I'm going somewhere where there's unimproved roads (like backwater fishing spots). Then I switch to a Nelson Rigg set of soft bags which hold enough for a days fishing and photography, along with the FAMSA tank bag and panniers.

I used to take them off all the time but strangely enough, found myself being more cautious and observant with them on - at least in tighter quarters so now most of time they stay on.

Interesting re the plastic indents that hold the bags to the bottom- they can be deformed - I found out by knocking bike of side stand accidentally on gravel on a slight slope. Left bag hit gravel and promptly pulled out of the rubber mounts and snapped the white metal latch off the top. Indents still work (I smoothed out with a heat gun on low and some weights and 4 weeks and 17$ later, had a new latch for top of case (I now carry a spare as well). Here is Great White north a new 1/2 section of an E41 is pushing $200 so I just tell people it broke when I took evasive action from a charging moose -much better than telling them I dropped my helmet off seat and knocked bike over trying to recover it before it fell.

Safe riding
Bob

·
Registered
338 Posts
side Cases

Except for designated trips off the pavement i use the side cases as well. It makes the bike a larger picture to the cagers around me for visibility. Plus in a pinch i can bring about a weeks worth of food and beverage home in them.

Coop

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Wee-Strom is on order but I'll weigh in anyway! I keep my V46 on my Vespa 250GTS all the time, the brake light kit adds extra visibility and I store my helmet and take my lunch in there every day. You never know when the old lady is gonna ask you to bring home something from the store after work. It's handy! If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll post a shot of a recent shopping expedition on the Vespa. I hope the V-Strom can carry as much!

I plan on getting the 52 Liter Givi with dual brake light and do the same on my V-Strom.

Does anyone know if the dual brake light on the Givi 52L topcase functions as running lights plus brake lamps?

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I will run with the top case on most of the time, storing the sidecases...unless I hit the road for a distance or so.

Here is a pic of my rig.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts