StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a trip in rush hour traffic yesterday. 1 Hour and 50 minutes to make a one way 50 mile trip. The Vee kicked up to 3 bars in stop in go traffic. It took 25 minutes to drop down to 2 bars from 3 bars.It never went to 4 bars. I slowed down it bumped back to 3 bars. I noticed the fan only when I stopped. It was 100+ degrees in the afternoon. On the return trip all was normal after the Sun went down. I may have to make this trip 7-10 times in August/Sept for a class. I was a bit disturbed how long it took to cool down. The bike normally takes 2-7 minutes at freeway speed to drop back to 2 bars. Coolant /Flush was done in November about 7500 miles ago.I cleaned and Flushed the system and over flow tank.I'm running Honda Premix. I was thinking about aux switch to manually turn on the fan. The cooling system is working properly. Is fan idea over kill?

Les

·
Registered
522 Posts
Even at three bars, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it ever got to 4 and it took a while to come down, then I might get a little alarmed. I don't think the bike operating out of the norm especially talking about that kind of heat. I think the manual switch isn't needed on a Vee.

I did run a manual switch on my old V-Max. Those bikes always ran hot and you needed the switch if you were in any sort of stop and go traffic.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
Think nothing of it. My Vee hits 3 and sometimes 4 bars in heavy traffic. When you are in it for 20-30 minutes with speeds in the 0-15 mph range the entire engine is going to get pretty warm. Including the oil and transmission components. That is why it takes several minutes at highway speeds to see the "bars" come down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 1K does the same thing here in Austin. It easily goes to 3 bars and goes back to 2 once I get a good cruise going. It's going to be hotter than a beotch, slut, whore today at 104 today.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Add a bit of....

..."Water Wetter."

Will help a tad.

·
Registered
558 Posts
How many miles are on your Strom?

I'm in Houston, too. My 650 always shows 3 bars, as far back as I remember. 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Bike is a Vee. The temp bars are different on a Vee to Wee. It's a 2006 with 29,300 miles.
Today there is a cool front. Only a 100 degrees today.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
just water

Should be no problem at 3 bars. But if you're concerned you could experiment with just using water as a coolant and see a slight difference. I believe that water is a better coolant, although doesn't have many of the good properties for long term use.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
In Miami traffic and heat, which rarely gets past low 90's, my 2007 V with 15k on the clock, regularly runs at 3 bars. when the road opens up, it usually takes no more than 5 minutes at highway speed to drop back down to 2 bars. remember though, you're in temps 10+ degrees more than here there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My Bike is a Vee. The temp bars are different on a Vee to Wee. It's a 2006 with 29,300 miles.
Today there is a cool front. Only a 100 degrees today.

Les
Lesman,

I have the same bike, same mileage, and same riding conditions. My bike responds exactly as your does as you have described.

No worries. It's OK.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Les

If there has been an changed in how fast your bike cools down this summer vs. previous summers at the same air temperature and same ride, perhaps your thermostat is getting sluggish. I'm thinking of the coolant thermostat in the engine, not the thermoswitch for the fan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was down in Houston around the end of May and was also caught in rush hour. It was around 112degrees and my V mostly stayed on 3 bars and went to 4 bars for a while till I could get a couple of miles in at a decent speed.
I find mine usally runs 3 bars unless temp get quite cool. I have a 2010 new this year.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I almost never ride in traffic. I work at night and during the day. The coolant has less than 7,000 miles and I changed it in late November. It's just really hot.
The reason for my concern is the amount of time to drop back to 2 bars.

Les

·
Banned
208 Posts
Les

If there has been an changed in how fast your bike cools down this summer vs. previous summers at the same air temperature and same ride, perhaps your thermostat is getting sluggish. I'm thinking of the coolant thermostat in the engine, not the thermoswitch for the fan.
And check there is no change to the air flow through the radiator core. Obstructed with a new rad guard or just full of mud or road dirt. Flies and the odd bit of grit are a fact of life and accounted for with extra capacity at design.

Make similar checks for the oil coolers air flow as this ships plenty of heat from the engine once road speeds pick up and removes it from the most important areas of oil and sump after a long idle or slow crawl. Oil cooler hardly does anything at slow speeds and even tends to warm the oil up at idle on a hot day because it's right behind a very hot exhaust pipe. It's the all too invisible oil temperature we should be just as concerned about. This can be at the opposite ends of maximum and minimum values to your indicated water temperatures. Only a low percentage of engine oil flow passes through the cooler at idle. The rest by-passes it straight to the filter and back into the hot sump. I never liked the idea of hot oil and tried an additional electric fan on the oil cooler but found low oil volume through the cooler at idle and just above meant it was a waste and hardly effective. In fact the extra electrical load of the fan probably made the engine slightly hotter.

If you take the thermostat out to test and inspect it should start to open at 190 degrees F or 88 degrees C. Hang it on a bit of string in a light coloured pan of water on the stove. You need a thermometer to spot as it passes opening temp. Boiling point is easy to spot. Use a long string. Keep it away from the edge of the pan. DON'T SCALD YOURSELF. Light pan lets you see through the valve better to spot when it opens.
At the boilng point of water (not antifreeze mix) 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C it should be open by at least 0.31 inch or 8.0mm.
If it's not open as specified here it definately needs replacing.

I can't remember what year but some earlier bikes had problems with the water pump impeller vanes cracking off. Made of plastic and moulded to the end of a steel shaft. Pumping efficiency is crucial at low engine speeds so could be the start of this. Easy to lift the cover on the pump if you are draining the water to inspect the thermostat.

I had two of the first water cooled Honda's in the late 70's. Over the previous air cooled engines the oil change intervals went from 3.6k miles to 7.2k miles. Oil capacity went down from a UK gallon to just over half a gallon. Fact we still need to change the oil at 4k miles on these V twins tells me the oil can be expected to regularly get up to frying temperatures (and regular generator problems for city dwellers). The underside of the piston crowns is oil cooled on these engines and you don't get oil much hotter than that if you want it to last for long.

If I ran one in a city through the central American summer I would drop to an 8 or 10 degrees C lower temperature water thermostat. That bit of extra cooling capacity left to absorb the heat soak at low speeds and idle could improve the bike no end. A radiator fan that cut in 10 degrees earlier would be harder to do but also help. Keeping the revs at 2k rpm and just above rather than down at idle speeds will also improve water circulation (engine driven fan on the old Honda's so was even better). And of course if a traffic jam dictates you can turn the engine off with the kill switch before it heats up then all the better.

SVman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts