StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 DL1000 and was wondering if someone makes a conversion kit that allows the turn signals to become running lights also. Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My new to me '12 Wee has the front turn signals illuminated as marker lights. The P.O. performed this mod so I don't know how it was done. I recently discovered his name & wrote him a letter asking him to call/text/email me. I'd like to know if he could share any maintenance records. If he contacts me, I'll ask about the light mod & report back.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got mine from 12 O'clock Labs on my '06 Vee.
http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70
I put in LED bulbs from Superbrightleds.com because I thought incandescent bulbs might be too hot if constantly on. I'm not sure that makes sense because incandescent bulbs have worked in the tail light for ever.
You'll need a new flasher if you get LEDs.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
They use the same bulb as a tail/brake light with two filaments e.g. 12V21/5W which means a 12 volt bulb with a 21 watt brake light (or indicator) and a 5 watt tail light.

And letsgo2up is right. Many LED bulbs used for indicators require an inline resistor added to prevent the indicator relay sensing a drop in current which would normally indicate a faulty bulb. The unit then flashes much quicker than normal to alert the rider that his indicators are faulty.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Also be aware that since the lights are on all the time they are sucking precious wattage/electrical capacity. If you run heated gear it might be a problem. The fix is use LED's in place of the incandescent bulbs. You'd be surprised at how much capacity you can free up just by addressing the headlights and tail light.

Incandescent headlight H4 55/60 watt x two = 110/120 watts when running compared to

LED H4 18.6 watt x two = 37.2 watt or -72.8/-62.8 over traditional bulbs.

The DL650 turn signal bulbs are 21 watt x 4 = 84 watt of electrical draw if uses as running lights. My Gerbing jacket uses about 80 watts

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
You should use the 4 or 5 watt filament as the running light. The brighter 21 watt filament is for the indicator. It would be dangerous for you to exchange your 21 watt indicator for a 4 or 5 watt bulb.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's pretty easy to just wire up LED running lights separately and leave incandescent turns as they are. I believe that Amber rear running lights are illegal in some or all states, but do your own homework on that. I've used SuperBrightLEDs for running lights on numerous bikes now. Works for me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's pretty easy to just wire up LED running lights separately and leave incandescent turns as they are. I believe that Amber rear running lights are illegal in some or all states, but do your own homework on that. I've used SuperBrightLEDs for running lights on numerous bikes now. Works for me.
I did LED lights all around on my '01 ZX11, including the meter lights (analog gauges on that one). I got everything I needed from. https://www.superbrightleds.com. including the excact spec load resistor. IMO, Superbright has the best, most reliable LED lighting and accessories. They also have .pdf guides, how-tos and fitment charts. The bulbs have excellent differentiation (contrast) between running light and turn/ brake lights, lotza colors available , etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts