StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2015 650 and am faced with the < 5000rpm for the next few miles.....man it's hard to keep that needle down.
Compared to the 2005 model, this thing is a dream, smoother already, feels thinner and smaller - how can that be?
MPG already well over 6o but I'll soon take care of that!
Damned chicken strips.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just ride it reasonably and it won't hurt a damn thing. Don't baby it.

Have fun.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
You must now begin to flog it......you must!!!!!! Don't buy into the break in scare tactics, just ride the damn thing and change your oil and filter a bit earlier.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I ran mine hard in short "Bursts" for 250~300 miles, tried to keep it under 5k on interstate runs, changed the oil & filter, and have been kinda aggressive with it since. No issues from it so far...
My '07 1k was run in the same way with no ill effects for over 85k miles, and is still a exceptionally strong runner with no oil consumption to the day I traded it in on my '15 650.
I have used this method for the last 30+ years breaking in various bikes with good results with all of them. :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
We will now hear from 37 people and how they did it. The thing they will have in common is all their bikes will have no engine problems. There is a clue right there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
grey, I think it will be closer to 45. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts

Unless you absolutely beat the crap out of your motorcycles, there's no harm in just riding the thing normally. I had mine WOT for the second half of second gear on the test ride (sales guy who was chaperoning me seemed kind of annoyed by that :mrgreen: ). Also no ill effects 7500 miles later.

Geywolf has it right. Whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, go for it. If those higher revs are calling your name, feel free to wind it up. If you'd feel better babying it for the first 600 miles (or whatever it is) you can do that, too.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts

Unless you absolutely beat the crap out of your motorcycles, there's no harm in just riding the thing normally. I had mine WOT for the second half of second gear on the test ride (sales guy who was chaperoning me seemed kind of annoyed by that :mrgreen: ). Also no ill effects 7500 miles later.

Geywolf has it right. Whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, go for it. If those higher revs are calling your name, feel free to wind it up. If you'd feel better babying it for the first 600 miles (or whatever it is) you can do that, too.

Yup....but those that choose to do that should NEVER complain about doing so. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the crap that manufactures put in their owners manuals regarding "break in" possibly the record for the most ludicrous is held, unsurprisingly by our beloved Suzuki which if memory serves me if followed translates to under 30 mph for their Burgman 400 model.

Geoff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it over the first hurdle today, temps 45ish and showers but still out and about weather.

Found my first F/U. Yesterday, the sun was over my shoulder and I didn't notice the display was in MPH (not KPH) and that's why I thought I was so friggin slow. Fixed. Much mo' better.
Today a few bursts up to 6,000 and the motor is like buttah.

Might even like the seat, but that'll take a few long days to assess.

Windshield is a pos. Tried it middle and up and the wind noise is a hurricane, compared to a Madstad and Givi 260T on the old bike.
Most opinions favor Givi A/F and a few Parabellum, but we'll see.

Going to have to adjust the shift lever, to give my heavier boots enough room to change gears.

Bottom line..........should have done this years ago.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had the madstad and givi 260 st on my K7, not a bad setup. I had a givi 3101dt on my L2, gets you out of the wind more obviously, but still have some buffeting issues.

I just put the OEM back on a week ago and added the MRA X-creen tour variable spoiler to the OEM screen and have to say I like that much better, I played around with it and found all the way up and tilted back a couple of notches past parallel to the OEM, with the OEM on the highest setting works for me . A little air at the top of the helmet but no buffeting. I am 6'0" 32" inseam. YMMV.

·
Registered
570 Posts
2000 Ks on my new DL650, not worried now about breakin, not taking to max revs but revving through most gears, alter speeds up and down and not just sticking it on the highway at a constant speed yet.
Unless you are a rev head there doesn't seem to be a constraint to riding and enjoying the bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
My favorite break in recommendation is from Cummins on the Turbo Diesel in the heavy duty Ram. Basically it says there is no break in, but you will see an improvement in MPG and power after 6000 miles, and it helps to put it under load during this time (tow 10,000 pounds.) If you don't put it under a load the break in period could be significantly longer...

I guess that's what you get with a design specification of "unlimited service life with rebuild intervals of 350,000 miles." :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
For the first 599 miles I kept the RPM's down below 3,000 rpm. You can't be too safe, right. Then I jumped the gun and went up to 5050 RPMs for the last mike of the break in. Yada yada yada, the bike is gone after 63,000 miles. Do you think that If I hadn't spun the motor up past 5000 RPMs for the last mile of the break in period that the Cadillac driver would have seen me?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You must now begin to flog it......you must!!!!!! Don't buy into the break in scare tactics, just ride the damn thing and change your oil and filter a bit earlier.
I'm apt to believe that the people who design and build my engine/transmission know what they are talking about and I am not going to second guess them. Break-in procedures are there for a reason. It won't kill anyone to take it easy for a few hundred miles.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I'm apt to believe that the people who design and build my engine/transmission know what they are talking about and I am not going to second guess them. Break-in procedures are there for a reason. It won't kill anyone to take it easy for a few hundred miles.
OK.....you just keep on believing that, and be sure to change your cars oil and filter at 3k as well. ;) Motorcycle "break in" is for the RIDER......not for the bike or the engine.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Well over 60 MPG? You sure your gauge isn't set for Imperial gallons?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just be sure to switch to amsoil after 601 miles and rub the stator cover with a witches tit.

I have done this for 30 years and only pissed off one witch.

Oh, and drive it normally too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
For the first 599 miles I kept the RPM's down below 3,000 rpm. You can't be too safe, right. Then I jumped the gun and went up to 5050 RPMs for the last mike of the break in. Yada yada yada, the bike is gone after 63,000 miles. Do you think that If I hadn't spun the motor up past 5000 RPMs for the last mile of the break in period that the Cadillac driver would have seen me?
I believe that the last Mile at 5050 RPM was the deal breaker. This obviously put you ahead in the Space time continuum line to intersect at a later date in the future with said Cadillac.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts