Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:
Last Friday I was riding to work (One should ride every time it's possible ) and the fuel indicator was in the last square and not flashing. As per the manual, that indicates me that I have more than 2.2 lts , and less than 4 lts. Trip counting 418 km or about, then the bike start stalling and kicking , as it had no fuel. I keep going as I knew there was a petrol station in less than 5 km. but in my mind and in the fuel indicator I still had more than 2 lts. (2lts should last for more then 40 km @22.3 km/k) but the bike stopped when there was 2km to the station. no fuel.
I tried to shake the tank to hear any liquid noise but in the highway with cars and truck at 100km/h it was not much to hear.
I push those 220kg to the station to fill the tank 17.7 lts WWWWTTTTFFFF. The tank is supposed to have 20 lts.
If the indicator was ok, why did it stopped?
The range of the Vstrom 650 is been said to be 420 km, which is where mine stopped. But the fuel indicator and the fuel in the tank made no sense.

Had anyone of you had a similar issue ?

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Your system seems to be misleading you. Why not settle for 375km and go for the fuel stop.
Or do the search for fuel tank problems and do a bit of trouble shooting and measuring of the fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
420km is 261 miles. I usually start looking for a gas station after 220 miles or 355km. I don't know why it did not flash, so far my bikes fuel gauge indicators have been spot on.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
All indications are you had fuel left in the tank. You may have a dirty screen or filter that diminished flow and you may have loose crud in the tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All indications are you had fuel left in the tank. You may have a dirty screen or filter that diminished flow and you may have loose crud in the tank.
That sound logic , reasonable right, but the bike has 2600 km, that is 8 tanks of fuel so far.
Unless someone add dirt to the tank or fuel, that should not happen.
I thought of unmounting the tank and check it, but the bike in on warranty :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Now I recall I got suckered by my Burgman 650 ...I was expecting the final segment to flash after it went hollow

and it did not.
....had to get staff to bring me fuel a couple of KM from home.

It flashes when it's full black ...when it switched to the hollow square that was the final couple of litres and not flashing as I recall.

Same company.

I can't recall on the Wee as with it's range I never push the limit ( unlike my :furious: CBF that give me range anxiety the minute it gets below 1/2/

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm curious about the range. Obviously it depends on how hard you're riding, but for almost all my riding I'm usually over 450km before I fill up, and my fills are about 17 litres. I log this stuff, I'm not relying on memory :)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
We must get better fuel than the US. I can pretty much guarantee 440k's no matter how much of an idiot I'm being and maximum (long rides on slow country roads or off road) is near 600k's.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We do pay a bucket-load more, so yeah it's probably better :)

I might try for 600km when I've got a particularly cruisey ride on :) And some spare fuel :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I rather agree with Greywolf. It sounds like something prevented the tank from draining fully. I have dropped the plastic seal out of a fuel additive bottle cap in my tank, so far with no issues. You may want to take an extra container of fuel and experiment to see if will run out like that repeatedly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Be careful about running dry. Running out of fuel or running very low often is hard on the fuel pump. It relies on fuel for cooling.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Never ran out in 58,500 on Wee.On the DeadHorse trip one of the 1000 stroms ran out in DeadHorse but we had filled a gallon can with us for first time at last gas stop going to D.H.. All our gauges worked fine. I miss the old reserve carb petcock as no need to look at gas ,just know how far you could go on reserve.
Only time I ran out on a long trip was 1995 on a two gallon tank sportster.We went to Montana and Sturgis rally. Carried a qt. oil bottle filled with gas and a rain suit around it in one saddle bag.Ran out three times and two of the times that qt. got me to a pump.The other time had to get some out of the bigger tanks bikes with me.That bike got 55mpg.
Ran out in the C50 the day I got it out of state. Got the bike that had been unused six months.Brought a bottle of injector cleaner with me.When the money changed hands after a test ride and paper work poured half in. Then the connie I rode double with the over 200 miles and me stated back to Ky. from SpringField,Oh.. After a fill up at end of block it did perfect. We split in Lexington,Ky. and turning dark. Went on the BlueGrassParkway and about eight miles from my exit see a light flashing dim in a square on dash? Then it hits me that's a low warn on gas! Slow down from 80 to 65 and when 1/8 mile from exit it stops.Pull over take cap off and can hear no gas with side to side shake.Tie helmet on,grab jacket and take a step and stop! The half bottle of cleaner is in the saddle bag! Pour in,put gear on,get on and shake bike hard to get any small amount to mix up. Start up pull out.Make exit and heading up the hill to first gas next to exit it dies again.Push it about 40 feet to pump.30,000 later never ran out on that one again.
Like the real old line....You can never have too much gas in a motorcycle unless sliding down the road on fire!!..........:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
We must get better fuel than the US. I can pretty much guarantee 440k's no matter how much of an idiot I'm being and maximum (long rides on slow country roads or off road) is near 600k's.
North American slab speeds are usually much higher ...140-160 indicated which will kill mileage right quick,

How the hell do you get 600 ???? 500 maybe but 600 seems unobtainium ....fuel quality will not have a major impact.

Rule of thumb for rural riding generally fill up when it hit's the half way mark. Was not so critical on Wee but the CBF and Burgman with 300 km ranges yah just ad to keep an eye out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Rule of thumb for rural riding generally fill up when it hit's the half way mark. Was not so critical on Wee but the CBF and Burgman with 300 km ranges yah just ad to keep an eye out.
I learned this lesson on a cross country trip. I was filling when the low fuel light bar blinked. We wandered into Texas and were on farm to market roads. Well there wasn't a gas station for hours. I ended up running out of gas. The nearest station was 13 miles away from where the bike stopped :surprise:

Needless to say, I fill up at the halfway mark now

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Particularly bad in some areas where some stations close on Sunday ( PA rural )

Kid ran out on a major highway in BC when the indicated station was seasonal....long range on the Wee saved the day ...even the Wee was low when I finally got to the next station....there is a nice spot for the spare fuel on the 2010.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
372 miles??? Jezus you must have been idling the whole time in second gear on flat level ground................

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just last week pushed mine to 248 miles - the last segment had been flashing at me for about 15 miles. Phew! But I wanted to know if I had a 250 mile range. Bike took 4.7 gal to fill, so I should have a reliable 250 mile range; mpg avg. about 50 mpg.

·
Registered
121 Posts
North American slab speeds are usually much higher ...140-160 indicated which will kill mileage right quick,

How the hell do you get 600 ???? 500 maybe but 600 seems unobtainium ....fuel quality will not have a major impact.
Macdoc, I think you spend time in OZ so you know, but for others - in Australia, if you venture past 105km/hr very much you will get fined for speeding - I have much documented evidence!

The authorities say they are saving us from our own stupid selves, but maybe what they really want is for us to save some money on fuel :)

And dammit, I'm going to try for 600km from a tank. After I buy myself a spare fuel bottle...

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Yeah - was shocked to get a warning flash from a cop car at just a tad over the limit....now there are a few 130 kph in FNQ but the rest are subject to speed cameras and strict enforcement.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
gas stations are far apart in eastern ca and western nv so you fill up before you head anywhere and it is sometimes neccessary to top up when you can. I have seen (a few times) the only stations for miles out of fuel or otherwise unable to pump any due to some glitch. And of course cell service is unreliable due to distances and terrain. The plus side is there is not much traffic.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts