StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from more than one mechanic with a lot of experience, that Suzuki transmissions have a history of being, ummm, not very robust.

Maybe this is just a way to make myself feel better about stripping out 2nd gear, but I'd like to hear from some of you who may know the history of our transmissions and their alleged failure rate.

So???

·
Registered
574 Posts
Honestly I haven't heard of a problem. Don't remember a single posting on xmission problems. I'm sure they exist, but it can't be often.

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
Can't say as I have heard of another "confirmed" on here or VSRI.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to confess that the mechanic asked me how in the hell I had managed to strip out 2nd .

I told him I was crazy about the torque and acceleration and wheelies, etc, and that I drive it like I stole it.

He asked me how old I was. I told him 61 and he just about pissed himself laughing.

I wasn't sure if I should have been offended, but then I thought about it and figured he was right. It was pretty funny.

Crazy old woman.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I would doubt very highly that your aggressive riding is a contributing cause.

It sure sounds like an anomaly to me. Sometimes shit just happens.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Suzuki's M109R has had some 2nd gear issues.
Owners love the power and TQ of the 109 so these bikes get abused. Back cutting the gears and shift fork replacements are common with these bikes,

·
Registered
242 Posts
I find wheeling a 'Strom fairly difficult, at least with stock gearing. am I just too damn short or something? I can get it up, just can't keep it up (now stop it!).

R

·
0 Posts
Janice, you probably noticed the rotating parts in that gear box are just little wee dinky cogs that were originally designed for Black Forest Coo Coo clocks.
You may want to put a few dollars away as a "rainy day" fund if you continue using all of the torque.
Just an opinion here but I think most bikes are not really designed to be thrashed on a regular basis....even the big heavy torque monsters.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
DR650's have a known issue with 3rd gear. catastrophic usually

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The only Suzuki gearbox issues I've heard of were for the DR650. 3rd gear wear and the neutral switch screws coming loose in particular. The former wasn't regarded as overly common outside of those folk who really thrashed the bike in the dirt regularly, and the latter requires a little locktite to fix permanently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The most common failure of gearboxes in motorcycles is 2nd gear in my experiance. I had it fail in my 1987 GSXR that I bought used. The previous owner loved to do power wheelies!!

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
My bike had a nasty 1st to second gear shift clunk, more like a smash. I wonder if that has something to do with it. That clunk puts a lot of force on second gear.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find wheeling a 'Strom fairly difficult, at least with stock gearing. am I just too damn short or something? I can get it up, just can't keep it up (now stop it!).
Good news for you! If an old lady can get it up, so can you...

OK, so. Make sure you have a good grip on the bars. Make sure your feet are firmly in place on the controls. Make sure you are sitting in the right place on the seat and squish the gas tank between your legs.

Put the bike into 1st. Get your shifting toe under the shifter so you can rapidly shift to 2nd gear. Roll on the power up to 10 or 15km/h or so. Make sure the bike is moving in a straight line and is completely balanced.

Twist the throttle smartly and firmly and hold it, you will feel the front of the bike get lighter and it will just magically start rising.

When the rising motion is just about done and the front wheel is at the apex of it's upwards climb, snick the shift lever into second gear and continue twisting the throttle.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP THE THROTTLE OPEN OR YOU WILL COME DOWN LIKE A ROCK AND THAT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE FRONT END OF THE BIKE.

Anyway, by keeping the throttle open, the bike will keep accelerating and the front wheel will slowly come back to just gently kiss the road.

It is a beautiful, beautiful thing to experience when done right.

Oh, it takes practice. So start small with 'bunny hops' just lifting the front wheel a teensy bit, then as you get the feel for it bring the wheel up higher and higher.

Keep the handlebars straight.

Do NOT try to wheelie from a standing start. Really bad idea. Watch bad wheelies on YouTube and they almost all try it from a standing start. Very, very horrible idea. You have to have some inertia and gyroscopic action to keep the bike from going sideways which you will not like at all, not even a teensy bit.

Oh yeah, don't try it with a strong crosswind. You won't like that either.

TRY THESE THINGS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM IN NO WAY ENDORSING ANY KIND OF SHENANIGANS ON YOUR BIKE. I WILL DENY MAKING THIS POST. I WILL DENY OWING A COMPUTER OR A MOTORCYCLE. I AM JUST A POOR OLD LADY LIVING ON A PENSION WHO COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE A HOOLIGAN.

So there, now go have fun..

One last thing. For FSM's sake save the bong 'til AFTER the wheelies.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
While I too have not heard of Vee tranny failures the second gear failure is common from my experience in various bikes. You are basically speed shifting in your wheelie technique Janice. This is very hard on all bikes as you are passing through neutral to second which has a wider shift gate.

I love to wheelie also, but I either start one in first or second and do not shift. I use the clutch. Its the shift that is abusing the tranny. Mine has had its share of wheelies but second gear is still in it at near 100,000 miles.

I suggest a technique change or start saving for another transplant.

My wife thinks you are a hoot and I quote her "you go girlfriend"

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I too have not heard of Vee tranny failures the second gear failure is common from my experience in various bikes. You are basically speed shifting in your wheelie technique Janice. This is very hard on all bikes as you are passing through neutral to second which has a wider shift gate.

I love to wheelie also, but I either start one in first or second and do not shift. I use the clutch. Its the shift that is abusing the tranny. Mine has had its share of wheelies but second gear is still in it at near 100,000 miles.

I suggest a technique change or start saving for another transplant.

My wife thinks you are a hoot and I quote her "you go girlfriend"
OK. So Suzuki needs to produce another 'Strom that has a stronger transmission.

I would like to personally introduce the new bike: The Veelie!

Oh, I like that so much...

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
Get a dirtbike or a big ADV like a DR650/KLR650/XR650L if you wanna do wheelies. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get a dirtbike or a big ADV like a DR650/KLR650/XR650L if you wanna do wheelies. :fineprint:
Not enough grunt. I've been spoiled by the Vees torque.

I need a VEELIE.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

I need a VEELIE.
LOL! Then try a XR650R. It will make your Veelie seem like a scooter up to 100 mph.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

I need a VEELIE.
On paper at least the DR650 has slightly MORE torque than the 650 Strom, at lower revs of course. The lower weight and longer travel suspension would probably handle your brand of thrills better, too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts