StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm I'm 1900 miles into a road trip and my tires are starting to feel funny at low speed. Sorta like I'm riding down a road covered with little rocks. My first thought was that the tires are cupping but I couldn't really see much evidence. I'm running shinkos and I belive they should have right around 4k on them. Any thoughts? Next time I find air I'm going to make sure they the tires are topped up. Anything else I should be checking?

I'm posting pics from the road here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060

A desert rat explores the south.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are thay radial or bias ply? My Shinko 705s cupped like hell on the front. The back was fine. But I attribute it to the SoCal cement freeways. Other folks tend to agree with that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've burned through 3 sets of radial 705's and the fronts always start to cup around 5K.
As it progresses they always get progressively louder and skittish. My guess is if you look close at an angle that they are just beginning to cup.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are thay radial or bias ply? My Shinko 705s cupped like hell on the front. The back was fine. But I attribute it to the SoCal cement freeways. Other folks tend to agree with that.
They are radials. Checked tire pressure this morning and they were down to 30 lbs eek! Pumped the back up to 40 and they are much better now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
my tires used to scallop all the time, then I experimented with tire pressure and found that running the front at 38 instead of 33, eliminated the scalloping entirely, with no noticeable losses in adhesion

Like suspensions, I think Suzuki's tire pressure recommendations are for lightweights

what does a "cupped" tire look like ?

or

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your tread looks pretty good to me. Could they be overinflated? I usually go a few pounds over the recommended pressure but no further. Ensures good traction, etc. Beyond that you remove any comfort available.

Could be a carcass issue or even a balance issue. Hard to tell without riding it...

·
Registered
441 Posts
my tires used to scallop all the time, then I experimented with tire pressure and found that running the front at 38 instead of 33, eliminated the scalloping entirely, with no noticeable losses in adhesion

Like suspensions, I think Suzuki's tire pressure recommendations are for lightweights

what does a "cupped" tire look like ?

or

:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I won't evenuse shinko's they are garbage! they are defective tires and should not be used!

And to all of you guys who are going to say they are not shut up right now!
I sued shinko tires of usa and WON! there tires are dangerous and they do not stand behind them! Ask me and bikebandit.com how we know! All i know is there tires almost killed me when i was riding and there tires shedd all there block knobbies right off in less than 500 miles on a light 250 cc dual-sport bike. I crashed off the road at 40 mph into a river. In 32 degree weather in winter time. I won a 12,000.00 law suit against shinko america and that is exactly how i got my new to me Vstrom! From the lawsuit settlement.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I won't evenuse shinko's they are garbage! they are defective tires and should not be used!

And to all of you guys who are going to say they are not shut up right now!
I sued shinko tires of usa and WON! there tires are dangerous and they do not stand behind them! Ask me and bikebandit.com how we know! All i know is there tires almost killed me when i was riding and there tires shedd all there block knobbies right off in less than 500 miles on a light 250 cc dual-sport bike. I crashed off the road at 40 mph into a river. In 32 degree weather in winter time. I won a 12,000.00 law suit against shinko america and that is exactly how i got my new to me Vstrom! From the lawsuit settlement.

Sorry for your misfortune, but millions of miles say your experience is an anomaly.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I rode the bike into work today it seemed the problem had been solved..then today on the way home the rumbling/ cattle grid feeling was back..I had the front and rear tires set to 40psi each...shinko 705 radials, and I seem to be missing no wheel weights...anything else I should be checking? I'm sorta at a loss...I'm got a new shinko waiting for me at the shop but I don't want to waste money on the tire if that's not the issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
chain?

are you sure it's the tires? the chain condition could also be a factor, or brake rotors rubbing against the pads-- although I'm not sure that could cause the 'rumbling' that you describe.

Bad wheel bearings can cause a bit of extra noise or friction, but tends to be more metal scraping sound.. keep checking all those other parts that move as well..

just a thought

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd put money on it being the tires, most likely the front. I've run 705s on my Wee and the front is getting pretty long in the tooth at about 8K miles. It's pretty scalloped on the edges and every time I lean into a corner, I hear--and feel--the tread blocks smacking the pavement. If I'm really hooning, I can actually feel the tread blocks 'walking' in a hard turn, which is a little spooky, but I've never had an issue where the bike did anything weird without giving some feedback first. I even recently finished taking the Lee Parks Total Control course L1/L2 with 'em on and didn't have any issues. I was running about 30 psi F&R, though, mostly because of cold temps.

Bottom line, it shouldn't hurt anything in terms of riding safety, but if you'd be more comfortable and can stand the outlay, put a new shoe on your baby! :thumbup:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tomorrow I'll jack up the bike and see how the wheel sounds. See if there any rubbing or strange noises. Are the vee and wee font wheels swappable? I could throw the vee wheel on the wee and then I'll be able to know if it's the tire. The vee has a new tourance on it.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I've run 705's on the front, I had the rumbling noise. It got quite loud until I replaced the tires. Problem solved

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Dom,
Have you considered using a product called "Ride On"? It ballances the tire from the inside. Centrifigul force spreads the dense product around your tire and self balances. However, several reviews seem to indicate that it helps prevent cupping based on the way it works. RO also seals punctures.
Another procuct called Dyna Beads also balance from inside the tire. They are small ceremic beads that float around inside the tire and find their resting spot as centrifugal force takes over. DB's do not seal punctures.
I have used both and currently use the Ride On due to the sealing capabilities.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dom,
Have you considered using a product called "Ride On"? It ballances the tire from the inside. Centrifigul force spreads the dense product around your tire and self balances. However, several reviews seem to indicate that it helps prevent cupping based on the way it works. RO also seals punctures.
Another procuct called Dyna Beads also balance from inside the tire. They are small ceremic beads that float around inside the tire and find their resting spot as centrifugal force takes over. DB's do not seal punctures.
I have used both and currently use the Ride On due to the sealing capabilities.
I'm thinking I'll do the ride on. Not sure if I should try it in this tire or just start it in a fresh set of tires. The shinkos look to be in good shape but according to my receipt I bought them six months ago so I'm guessing they should have 6-8k on them. For some reason I failed to put the mileage in my maintenance log when I logged in the tire install. But thanks for the feedback. Either way I should pick up a bottle of that stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
My 705 front has 19,000 miles on it and the rumbling has got a little louder as more miles are added. Only very slight cupping(37-38 psi). 3/4 tread left.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I installed mine about 2200 miles ago. They are noisy from day one and they rumble from day one. I've owned 4x4s my whole life and have always run off road worthy tires on them as well , gives the 4x4 the same attributes , loud and less settled. I really like the 705s , but expected exactly what I got.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed mine about 2200 miles ago. They are noisy from day one and they rumble from day one. I've owned 4x4s my whole life and have always run off road worthy tires on them as well , gives the 4x4 the same attributes , loud and less settled. I really like the 705s , but expected exactly what I got.
This wasn't something they always did. I've got D606s on my klr so I know what off road tires feel like.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem solved. Put a fresh set of tires on the bike and all is well. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts