StromTrooper banner

Rubber drain hose and coolant

2550 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  dieselndixie
Hello guys. Under my shiny ride this AM was a drip or two of coolant (no oil). It was coming from the rubber tube under the bottom fairing that is obviously meant for this purpose, but I am wondering at the cause. I will take a pic tonight to show you the exact hose but it "appears" to go to a small metal tube at the top of the head. Is this just a bleeder?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dug through the forum and it appears that in 03 this rubber hose was added to the water pump weep hole. And a small drip may be no big deal, but may also point to a failing seal. I cannot see why else this hose would drip as it does not appear to be a reservoir hose, or a bleed for the cooling system.

· Registered
3,862 Posts
If it's just a few drops here and there, don't worry about it -- this is perfectly normal with this type of mechanical seal.

If you start losing noticable amounts of coolant, or it's leaving a puddle every time you park, then you may worry about it.

· Registered
57 Posts
I just completed the replacement of the seal, shaft and bearings without special tools. Fairly straightforward process, difficulty level 2 out of 10.
If you plan to do the replacement on the Vee, order 2 bearings, and dont forget to put the c-clip on the shaft prior to reassembly...dont ask me how I know:headbang:

· Registered
81 Posts
there has been a 2" by 2" puddle under my bike (could be worse, havent taken skid plate off yet) the past 2 out of 3 rides. I think its time I take a look at that seal/o-ring.

Is it worth finding a link to a "how to" on the take down and assembly of the water pump? or is it pretty self explanatory what to do and look for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.