StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sniffed around the forums a bit, but couldn't find a thread where someone might have posted a review of street tires on their Vstrom.

Here's the problem I'm trying to solve:
My factory-issue trailwings are about to expire. I figure I've got about 1000 miles left on them, so that gives me a little time to plan.

99.9% of my riding is on city streets or freeways. Yes, yes, I understand there's this "dirt" thing people like to go ride in, but there just isn't a lot of that in between my house and work.

Without moving someplace where I *do* have to cross a lot of dirt to get to work, I was looking at both the Metzler Tourance and Conti TrailAttack tires, since those have pretty solid reviews.

But has anyone mounted actual straight-up street tires and wants to admit it? You can even PM me, I won't tell... :angel_6:

Is there anything to be gained from street tires vs. dualsport tires? The pricing looks like the street tires are about $50-75 less per set, and that makes a difference for me in today's economy.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
why not?

There is no reason you can't run a street tire on a V-Strom if you never plan to ride on gravel or dirt. Just make sure you get the correct size for width of the rear tire. Some of those street tires are really fat and may not like the spacing of the wee

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm running Conti Road Attacks on mine. A number of people run street only tires.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec Work well wet or dry and wear very well. Yes they are street tires.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Radial

Why would you go with the Shinko 712 bias when for about the same price you can get the Shinko 230 which is a radial? Just curious because the radial would offer better performance right?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I love this tire

Metzeler Z6 Roadtec Work well wet or dry and wear very well. Yes they are street tires.
Even though I run Anakees on my Wee, in the past with other bikes I have used the Z6's. They are absolutely the best road tire I have ever had. The down side is they are soft so don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Conti Trail Attacks.

Better on Street than they are on Gravel. And they STICK:D

You also have to look at mileage. A sport tire may NOT get good mileage.
That's the reason I picked the ContiTrail Attacks, Price is a bit higher, but less changes and more mileage.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I'm running Conti Road Attacks on mine. A number of people run street only tires.
Hey Pat,
What kind of milage are you getting from the Contis?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I had Michelin Pilot Roads on my last strom, they worked very well.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Even though I run Anakees on my Wee, in the past with other bikes I have used the Z6's. They are absolutely the best road tire I have ever had. The down side is they are soft so don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them.
8000 miles & still have enough tread on the back for maybe 2000 more thats not bad as tires go.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, thanks for the feedback, guys.

I was beginning to worry that I was all alone in my Wee-as-a-street-touring-bike deployment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have Metzler ME880's on mine. About 6k on them so far. Hoping to get 12-15k out of the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mayday Mike, what size 880's are you using? and how do they handle?
I'm keen to try them but dont know whether to go either 100/90/19 and 140/80/17 combo or 110/80/19 front and and 160/70/17 combo

·
Registered
987 Posts
I want to see a report on the Shinko's after a few thousand miles, with particular attention to any perceived difference between radials and bias.

I suspect the difference in tire construction is minimal on the Stroms, and our usage (moderate speed, minimal roadracing) makes the tiny advantage of radial construction a non-issue. I am considering buying bias tires when the time comes.

I use my DL1000 for sport touring (pavement) exclusively, and a KLR650 for dirt/gravel.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Metz z6 and B020's and B021's all have worked fine for me. Writeups are on vstrom.info

·
Registered
180 Posts
ME880s

I have managed to wear out one rear ME880 on my strom...I weigh about 270 and got 11,000 miles before it was down to 4/32" - it was still legal to run here in VA but I replaced it due to too many 4-lane highway miles. The front looks untouched after 11k, so it is staying on for a while. Good on any kind of road I have ridden it on. Pretty good in the wet, unaffected mostly by tar snakes and bridge gratings, and very predictable and stable. The only negative is I get a decel wobble from about 40-25 mph. Above or below that no problem at all and it isn't even noticeable unless you remove both hands from the bars. If you are primarily commuting, I cannot imagine a better long-wearing tire to run. I don't ride mine like a sport bike and I bet you dont either.

Cheers!

Hotshoetom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts