·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on the net this morning:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow - for all of the reporting saying that the impact on NYC was little more than a severe thunderstorm, this is awe-inspiring. I'm thinking of the nice couple who ran the campground and what must be going on for them now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mother nature wins.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Found this on the net this morning:
Whoa! Difficult to see where the demarcation between the river and the road used to be!

I was thinking of heading up VT-way this week what with the promised good weather but wasn't expecting Irene's wrath to have been that bad.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - for all of the reporting saying that the impact on NYC was little more than a severe thunderstorm, this is awe-inspiring.
The doom predictions were definitely over-stated, but huge areas of PA, NJ, NY, MA, NH, VT, and ME were under flash flood warnings for well over 24 hours in many cases, biblical amounts of rain.

I didn't pay much attention to damage reports further south.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few more from vermont

Rte 9, Bennington

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Geebuz... Best of luck to those living-or at least trying to live-up that way.

Now for my own selfish thoughts: looks like a lot of fun runs up VT way are probably curtailed for a while.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That really sucks bigtime. I can only imagine the widespread damage up there, as so many rivers and streams run right next to the beautiful roads we like to ride our motorcycles on.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Was just looking at Google Maps. It shows sections of Rt 9 through Brattleboro as 'planned'. The road no longer shows on the map view.

Freaky. Sad.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was just looking at Google Maps. It shows sections of Rt 9 through Brattleboro as 'planned'. The road no longer shows on the map view.

Freaky. Sad.
There's been a jog in Rte 9 for years. Google maps is being weird about it today.

From Garmin's BaseCamp:

·
Registered
722 Posts
This is the section between Brattleboro and the VT-100 junction, where I thought most of the damage was.
Although maybe you're right. Maybe I just never looked that close. And the software does still route using that road.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Quite a few sections of 100 are very torn up. Just south of 17 (Ap Gap)it's been closed for flooding as well as that stretch through Moretown. I had to go north to Burlington on Monday morning quite early and with a few minor detours was fine. Waterbury downtown was very muddy and most State offices are closed but they are closer to the river than the road is.

Still lot's of good riding around just best to be veryyyyyyyyyyyy aware.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of the problems in VT. Sounds like they had it pretty bad up there. I was planning a trip in that direction after Labor Day, but it looks like I might have to postpone that. For anyone who needs to travel in that area, there's a listing of road closures at:

IRENE FLOOD DAMAGE UPDATE

There's also an interactive map at http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf

Here in NJ we got a pretty good beating from Irene. With flooding and downed trees it's pretty hard to get around right now since many streets are closed off in my area. Lost power for 12 hours yesterday and had to take a 20 mile detour and get on the Interstate just to get to the local drug store (normally 2 miles away) for a prescription.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My wife wants to camp out off Kelly Stand Road this weekend (Have to take the car to pack all her crap - Pennance for the solo trip I took to California recently). I'll find out how well that area survived.
..... the road is gone, as are some of the houses!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is URL to website showing helicopter photos of this and many other areas of vermont.
http://mansfieldheliflight.com/flood/
This helicopter photo-session starts just outside my hometown (Richmond/Bolton)... follows the famed Rt2 and 100 all the way to Killington ski-area... then heads towards Rutland and back up Rt 7 (well over 100 miles covered by air)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts