StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a top end rebuild preformed by the dealer at no charge thanks to them failing to put an o-ring back on my air filter (another story). The bike is running great except for one new issue…

Issue: When coming off the throttle, my idle will often hover around 2500RPM. This is about 1k higher than it should be. However, if I do this when I have the clutch engaged, if I slightly disengage the clutch (just enough for it to start to catch) then reengage the clutch, the idle will drop to a normal idle. This condition was not there before the top end rebuild and as such the dealer is determined to fix this issue for me at no charge. Problem is after taking it back to them and them having it for a couple weeks, they are scratching their head as to what could be causing it. Because I had a road trip planned for this past weekend, and this issue does not affect the performance of the bike, they buttoned it back up for my weekend trip and said to bring it back to them when I get back. Again the bike ran great this past weekend other than that one issue.

Possible Clue??? One new development from this weekend is that the entire road trip was up in the mountains with a altitude range of 7487 to 9777 and a temperature range from 35-50F. For the 3 days in the mountains I never noticed the above issue once. I was very excited thinking they had figured out the issue and fixed it, or it had worked itself out. However, I rode back down in to the valley here in Phoenix where the altitude is 1500ft and the temperatures are in the 80s and sure enough the first time I got off the freeway the bike held the idle around 2500RPM. :headbang:

Anyone have any ideas I should point towards when I take it back to the dealer? I know this dealer should be able to figure this out on their own, or that I should take it somewhere else, or learn to work on my bike myself, but I want to give the dealer the chance to fix it (especially for free) since they came through on their end after their messing up my air intake.

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That is typical of having the idle speed set too high. There should be a point in the 1100-1300rpm recommended idle range that will keep the engine from dying or hanging.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts