StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This might seem like a dumb question, but, what is a good RPM to keep at when cruising? I'm still getting use to the Wee, and coming from a KLR. Someone told me, that 4k and below would lung the motor. I try to keep it between 4.5 and 6 thousand RPM. I'm looking for the best for the motor and fuel economy.

Classy

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
That engine will do 7000 rpm all day long with no problems. The sweet spot starts at 6000. I'm higher geared so most of my time on the freeway is spent about 5800

·
Registered
22,242 Posts
Hi. This might seem like a dumb question, but, what is a good RPM to keep at when cruising? I'm still getting use to the Wee, and coming from a KLR. Someone told me, that 4k and below would lung the motor. I try to keep it between 4.5 and 6 thousand RPM. I'm looking for the best for the motor and fuel economy.

Classy
my 650 experience had me keeping rpm above 4500 solo, and above 5000 2up
to have reasonable power on tap, and best fuel economy came when I cruised at those rpms

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Most engines I've had over the years, regardless of what they have been in, tended to run best about the middle of the RPM range.
I agree Middle of the RPM range.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
As often as I see this question, it always amazes me that it gets asked. It's your ride, do what you like.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

Classy
No dumb questions here, just varying levels of tolerance due to varying levels of experience. 4.5 will give you good economy and 6 will give you the ability to accelerate out of trouble. And it's lug not lung.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I also came from a KLR...I found my Vee fairly simular for cruising rpm's,right around the 5000 mark.If your bike is brand new there pretty tight and will loosen up after a while and you'll find the rpm's squeeking up a tad more...:mrgreen:
I have no problem pretending im an HD poser putting around at 3000 in 2nd though...lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
#1. It's not a dumb question...some folks just aren't sure what an engine is capable of.

#2. Engineers figure red line based on piston speed and inertial loading of the crank and rod bearing, valve spring float, connecting rod stretch, etc. By setting a red line on an engine, engineers are telling you it's OK to run up to that speed and stay there for the life of the engine because that's what the internal parts of our engine design will tolerate before something reaches a breaking point.

Now that being said, yes it'll shorten the life of your engine to some degree to run it at red line all the time. The increased forces will simply wear the bearings out faster, cases develop microscopic cracks from increased forces, etc. This is why NASCAR engines may go 500 miles at 9000 RPM then be low on compression and smoking. They wouldn't go 200,000 miles like your family car will, if they stayed at 9000 all the time.

#3. Ride your bike and enjoy it. You'll be tired of your strom long before you wear it out or break it by riding it at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In between 5K and 8K the torque curve is almost flat. HP peaks about 8.5K.
I too sometimes do that HD imitation at 3K putting about the back roads.
Whatever feels good at the time is best for me but I have never hit the rev limiter...no point IMHO.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your reply's. Not to sure about Greywolf's though :mod2_eek:lol

I will just keep what im doing. cruising 4 to 5k, being a ass, 5 to 9k lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also sometimes lug down to 3K, but there is very little torque below that rpm, so I down shift to keep from dropping below 3K, unless I'm on the over-run. I cruise up to 6K, but I feel the motor at steady rpms starts to sound busy (to me) somewhere between 5300-5500 rpm. I actually end up cruising between 5400-6000, busy motor or not.

Also, I feel that although no manufacturers that I know of ever post a recommended cruise rpm for their engines, they will give a hint about what they might recommend for steady cruising if they were to do such a thing by what rpm is at the very top of the rpm dial. The WeeStrom's is as 6000 rpm. Check out your other vehicles, as well, and you'll find that there seems to be some merit to this idea.
Regards, Jeff

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you all for your reply's. Not to sure about Greywolf's though :mod2_eek:lol

I will just keep what im doing. cruising 4 to 5k, being a ass, 5 to 9k lol
I am sure about Greywolf without him many questions would go unanswered here and/or be incorrect. You might try doing a search for some of your questions.

Anyway let me welcome you to the Wee club of ownership glad to have you I have also had the KLR 650 & a 1000 V-strom (known here as a VEE). One other point I would like to make after owning both of these Suzuki bikes is don't listen to the engine noises too much they will make you crazzzzzzzy with there sometimes knocking & sounding like an air compressor :green_lol:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I just wonder why there are so many questions asking what other people's preferences are. If there is anything in this world that's really ours and contributes to who we are, it's our preferences. As the OP said, "I will just keep what im doing".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go figure...

OP: "I'm looking for the best for the motor and fuel economy."
I think most agree the best fuel economy is had around 4k rpms on hwy in 6th, most fun is had well above that...

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
it'll shorten the life of your engine to some degree to run it at red line all the time. The increased forces will simply wear the bearings out faster, cases develop microscopic cracks from increased forces, etc.
That's not what a 62 year old woman told me at last year's Strom gathering. Susan Galpin gives a lecture and talks about how she has an extraordinary amount of hours running at red line and there is no detectable negative effect on her bike with extraordinarily high mileage. She's a very interesting lady with an impressive background and there is no doubt her lecture changed the way I ride. She's big on high RPMs to improve engine braking and greatly reducing the need for brakes in the twisties. Basically she gave me permission to run at much higher RPMs than I previously had been using and it made me smoother in the technical stuff.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's not what a 62 year old woman told me at last year's Strom gathering. Susan Galpin gives a lecture and talks about how she has an extraordinary amount of hours running at red line and there is no detectable negative effect on her bike with extraordinarily high mileage. She's a very interesting lady with an impressive background and there is no doubt her lecture changed the way I ride. She's big on high RPMs to improve engine braking and greatly reducing the need for brakes in the twisties. Basically she gave me permission to run at much higher RPMs than I previously had been using and it made me smoother in the technical stuff.
I have used engine braking in the twisty roads for years and also coming down long mountain passes etc. The only thing I have noted is it did tend to make my bike consume oil where it never does else where. Out side of that yes you will be much s-m-o-o-t-h-e-r getting into a gear like 3th, 4th, or 5th and staying there for the most part. Going fast is all about being smooth and getting into a rhythm like going slower to go fast !!

One thing also to watch out for when riding at redline or near redline when using it for engine braking is the rev limiter will not protect your engine when gearing down. You can push right on pass redline and no limiter will cut in. Major damage will follow very quickly and is very unforgiving just be careful

1 - 20 of 23 Posts