StromTrooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
More garbage from the owners manual. Shift into top at 60 km/hr?
I consider that to be lugging the motor. It is just not happy accelerating in top at such low rpm's.

And speed does matter. Higher speed = more wind resistance.
Might be a misprint. If you substitute mph for the kmh schedule, it comes out pretty ok for just cruising. Replace KTAS (knots true air speed) for the mph schedule, maybe. :confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agree, that is way under comfort for the engine. At 60km/h I am in 2nd - 3rd. No way 6th. I will stall out of boredomness hahaha

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Rider Magazine states 4400 indicated rpm in 6th @60mph for a 2017 DL650 The motor is happiest at anything above ~3800 rpm to about ~82-8300 rpm regardless of gear or speed. Anything below is lugging, lotta hammering of the seat and thighs. Above is just noise, not much power left.
This may explain why when I'm cruising along backroads and look down at the tach it's almost always reading 3800 RPM.

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am quite slow rider, so I mainly drive around 90km/h in sixth gear. Usually somewhere around 4.000 rpm.
But I do try to show it who is the boss by reving it once or twice (when the engine is up to working temperature) per ride until red rpm in second or third gear. Although it becomes a fast sucker after 8.000rpm. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
More garbage from the owners manual. Shift into top at 60 km/hr?
I consider that to be lugging the motor. It is just not happy accelerating in top at such low rpm's.

And speed does matter. Higher speed = more wind resistance.
I think they put that same chart in the owner's manual for every model, regardless of what type or size of engine it is.
Those might be suitable shift points for 100cc utility bike, or the dirt bikes they made in the 70s. They're absurd for these bikes.

·
Administrator
6,406 Posts
I was surprised at the very conservative running in instructions for my Kawasaki Versys 300. I have since found out that the 300, 650, and 1000cc Versys models ALL have the very same running in chart, meaning that the 300cc version is limited to 35mph for the first 600 miles! Ride up even a modest hill? Immediately the motor is lugging.
There is a lot of great information in operators manuals. However, the operator also needs to apply a little common sense to some of the copy'n'paste data.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cruising where?

In town I never go higher than 4th, usually 3rd, which provides a snappy throttle response and strong engine braking in case a thick cager is too busy dropping a cig or smacking kids to pay attention.

Rural highways, 6th at 3-4k RPM for an easy lope down the road and spooky-good gas mileage (60+.)

Superslab.... yeah, 6th at 5.5k most of the time.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I was surprised at the very conservative running in instructions for my Kawasaki Versys 300. I have since found out that the 300, 650, and 1000cc Versys models ALL have the very same running in chart, meaning that the 300cc version is limited to 35mph for the first 600 miles! Ride up even a modest hill? Immediately the motor is lugging.
There is a lot of great information in operators manuals. However, the operator also needs to apply a little common sense to some of the copy'n'paste data.
How do you like your Versys? Our local dealer has two new 2017 for a great price on the floor.

·
Administrator
6,406 Posts
How do you like your Versys? Our local dealer has two new 2017 for a great price on the floor.
It feels far, far lighter than the quoted weight. Nimble but stable, even on dirt roads. Ya just gotta rev it and it goes. It feels 200 lbs lighter than my DL650.
A great compromise if you need to travel a distance and then ride poorly maintained dirt roads. It reminds me of my KDX 200 with a bigger tank, twin cylinder motor and better faring. Very close to a dual sport.

The Cons - The seat is hard and the gearing is especially low. Contemplate a 15 tooth front sprocket and maybe a seat. Otherwise perfect. There is a good thread here on them under "other motorcycles".

21 - 30 of 30 Posts