StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
At 60mph in top gear with OEM gearing your bike should be revving at just under 5,000rpm and you need at least 5,000rpm to move smartly away in top gear. It's a safety thing to get away from a potentially dangerous situation (like when a tintop crowds you).
Lower gears are easier but at least 4,000 rpm. As Big B says, they like to rev, and do not like to be lugged. HD's they are not.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
+1 on the Wee likes high rpm. There are a few you-tube videos on the net, showing the gen 1 Wee in action. Look for videos with names like Suzuki V-Strom 650 K5 Acceleration & Top Speed, Suzuki V Strom 650 Top Speed, TopSpeed Test - Suzuki V-strom 650, DL650 Vstrom Acceleration and Top Speed, to name a few. These videos focus mainly on the speedo and rev counter to show the speeds that the Wee can reach.
Not to turn this into another sprocket thread, one can change the stock 15T / 47T sprockets to 16T / 45T to give a lower / more relaxed rpm at highway speeds, with little loss on pull away. Changing to a 14T / 47T will give more pulling power / torque at low rpm, but rev a lot higher at highway speeds. These can be done mostly without shortening the chain. In the end it is what you want to achieve. There are a few threads on this site wrt sprockets if one makes use of the search facility. https://www.gearingcommander.com will provide expected speed vs rpm on the different sprocket setup, under ideal conditions (aka no head or cross wind).

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I like 6k+. Higher for steep grades. engine is just purring and you have a bit of throttle response without need of downshifting. I mostly ride back country roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 60mph in top gear with OEM gearing your bike should be revving at just under 5,000rpm and you need at least 5,000rpm to move smartly away in top gear. It's a safety thing to get away from a potentially dangerous situation (like when a tintop crowds you).
Lower gears are easier but at least 4,000 rpm. As Big B says, they like to rev, and do not like to be lugged. HD's they are not.

Here it is...

https://youtu.be/MQhbsQ43YwE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Based on the Owners Manual shift points, you should be OK cruising at the shift point speed or above. Though to minimize shifting every time that you drop a little in speed, I find it best to cruise in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range. Riding in higher rpm’s is fun and has its advantages, but then that is not what I consider “cruising”.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Rider Magazine states 4400 indicated rpm in 6th @60mph for a 2017 DL650 The motor is happiest at anything above ~3800 rpm to about ~82-8300 rpm regardless of gear or speed. Anything below is lugging, lotta hammering of the seat and thighs. Above is just noise, not much power left.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
Based on the Owners Manual shift points, you should be OK cruising at the shift point speed or above.
More garbage from the owners manual. Shift into top at 60 km/hr?
I consider that to be lugging the motor. It is just not happy accelerating in top at such low rpm's.

And speed does matter. Higher speed = more wind resistance.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts