StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the cruising rpm on the Wee at 55, 65, and 80 MPH?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Indicated 70 mph ~5200
Indicated 80 mph ~6000
Indicated 55 mph it would depend on which gear you are in. I don't know.

That doesn't tell you much though. It doesn't say how the motor feels at that rpm. 6000 rpm is a lot for some motors, heck it is redline on a lot of motors. On the Wee, that is the sweetest range 5000-6500 for highway riding. The motor feels really good at that rpm on the highway.

The Wee will do an indicated 80-something mph all day long 2 up with the motor spinning ~6000-6500 rpm maybe a bit more. No problems. Not much power in reserve at that point, but no problems and the motor feels good.

I am impressed with one thing about the Wee's motor and highway performance. I once rented a stunningly beautiful '99 Harley Road King. It was almost a new bike, 6000 miles and less than a year old. I distinctly remember that thing feeling out of breath at 80 mph. It felt like it didn't want to go faster if it didn't have to. I can see why so many owners modify that motor.

The Wee on the other hand feels great at 80 mph. It doesn't feel out of breath. It is a different sensation entirely. What slows the Wee down is wind resistance as you near 90 mph. Clearly the Wee needs lots of time to chew on the wind resistance that you get at 90 mph to accelerate any more. It has motor/gearing enough to go well over 100 mph but it is gonna take some time to get there. The Harley felt really pushed over 80 mph, not with fighting wind resistance but the motor's vibs felt like protests. The motor felt overdriven, very strong and unpleasant vibes compared to below 80 mph.

The Wee has amazingly long legs for 650cc's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Anyone have stats for 55 in 6th gear?

·
Registered
797 Posts
At 55mph in 6th gear you're lugging the engine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird. Every bike I've owned will cruise at 55 in top gear no problems, no lugging.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Weird. Every bike I've owned will cruise at 55 in top gear no problems, no lugging.
Mean', you can run a Wee 55 mph in top gear. It won't lug, like lurching and the bike's driveline snatching back and forth. It will "lug" as in you are not in the best gear.

I'm curious, what kind of bikes have you owned? Are you experienced with road going bikes of modest displacement? What makes you interested in a Wee?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mean', you can run a Wee 55 mph in top gear. It won't lug, like lurching and the bike's driveline snatching back and forth. It will "lug" as in you are not in the best gear.

I'm curious, what kind of bikes have you owned? Are you experienced with road going bikes of modest displacement? What makes you interested in a Wee?
I meant what Corkus said, he just worded it better ;) You can run the Wee in 6th gear at 55mph, but it would definitely be happier in 5th or maybe even 4th, depending on the road, conditions, etc. This bike has a very nice, torquey engine, so staying in the sweet spot puts a grin on your face pretty much the entire time :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a question along the same lines...

What rpm do you change gears? Is it the same for all gears? ('normal' driving conditions, not racing) If not, what rpm do you rev to before changing gears from each gear to the next? Is there a 'correct / recommended' way or is it personal preference? And do you run higher rpms in dirt and gravel, or less?

Thanks for the help by the way! :D

(I have about 2,000 miles of riding experience, only 600 of those on the v-strom)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for the input. Anyone have stats for 55 in 6th gear?
Checked on the way home. A tick over 4000 rpm is on the clock at an indicated 55 mph. And that is definitely one gear too high for me, maybe two. 4KRPM the motor is asleep and top gear can't wake it up.

What rpm do you change gears? Is it the same for all gears?
There is no right answer here, but if I understand where you're coming from I'd say try 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is no right answer here, but if I understand where you're coming from I'd say try 5000 rpm.
That's good news. I've been using 5000 to 6000 rpms since day one...thanks.

Dude, don't you HAVE to have at least one state colored in ?
:-D You would think. Nope, I'm going to color them in only when I camp in those states. My plan is to use the V-strom to add range to my camping passion as well as make the travel time there a little more worth while. Actually, now that I've started riding I'd have to say that it's more then likely to BE the new passion. Camping may take a back seat for awhile.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a great pic. 6500 RPM at 85 MPH. My old FZ6 was at like 7000 rpm at 65 or 70. My current bike, an ST1300, does around 3000 rpm at 55 mph. I haven't really checked what it does at 85 mph. Somewhere around 4500-5000 rpm probably. I don't get much chance to get it up to 85 which is why I'm considering the Wee.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's a great pic. 6500 RPM at 85 MPH. My old FZ6 was at like 7000 rpm at 65 or 70. My current bike, an ST1300, does around 3000 rpm at 55 mph. I haven't really checked what it does at 85 mph. Somewhere around 4500-5000 rpm probably. I don't get much chance to get it up to 85 which is why I'm considering the Wee.
My wife and I both ride Wee's. Her former touring machine was an '05 FZ6, mine was an '04 FJR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts