StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who owns a 06 DL650 with PIAA HID Cross Country lights is experiencing an interesting problem. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the cause and possible solutions.

The bike and PIAAs work fine until approx 5K RPM at which time the PIAAs just turn off. As soon as the RPMs drop below approx 5K RPM, the PIAAs come back on and work fine. The other lights (stock OEM headlights) work as expected, its only the PIAAs that cut out.

If it matters the battery brand new.

Anyway... any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm guessing here because I haven't dealt with any HID's but I think they have a transformer that turns DC into AC and steps up the voltage that goes to the "bulb". The output of the transformer might be a pulsed DC. The DC available on the bike's system is probably not super smooth if you could look at it on an oscilliscope. On a multimeter it will look pretty stable but there's probably some rise and fall as the 3 phases of the alternator do their thing. Possibly there is some electrical noise that the HID system doesn't like.

We once had a YZ125 motocrosser that would die at high rpm until the motor stopped turning. Then it would fire right back up. The problem turned out to be that the bike had a non resistor plug in it instead of the resistor type that was specified. The ignition box on that model was mounted about 6 inches from the plug. Apparently ignition electrical noise from the plug was affecting the cdi unit. A change to the the right plug fixed it. We put a non-resistor plug back just to be sure and the problem was back.

Also, try unbolting one of the lamps and hold it away from the vibrations of the bike to see if there's any difference there. Do that with caution so you don't get shocked by that HID which might be serious.

Do you know where he connected the power and ground to for the HID? Any black with yellow tracer should do for the ground. I would expect you could use any ground wire but sometimes people do something we'd never expect. For test purposes, power one of the HIDs right off of the battery posts and see what happens above 5,000 rpm.

This is a weird problem and I'll be really interested to know the answer to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A couple more things: Use a multimeter and check DC voltage at the supply wires to the HID system (not to the "bulb"). Check the voltage at idle and then above the point where the lights go out. Is there still voltage going to the HID transformer or power supply? You should see within about .2 or .3 volts of what you read at the battery terminals at the same rpm. If the difference is smaller that's great.

Have the lights been mounted for some time and they just started this or is it a new installation? Since they both go off together, try isolating the power supply from the bike's vibration instead of holding the light off the bike like I wrote earlier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts