Strom Trooper banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've worn HJC Modular Helmets for years now. They're decent quality for a good price. Not as fancy fancy as the Nolans or Shuberts, but they get the job done. As I know that they fit my head well and I was in the market for a new helmet, I decided to splurge and pick up the new HJC RPHA Max. At first glance, I was less than impressed by the exposed polystyrene inside the helmet, but I figured I'd give it a shot. That's where the disappointment ended.

The fit was exceptional and the weight reductions claimed by the manufacturer are evident. The volume difference between lower end HJCs and the RPHA were night and day. With the top vent closed, this is unquestionably the quietest helmet I've worn. Not the Quietest Modular, the quietest helmet. Open the top vent and the noise increases considerable. There is a slight whistle when riding with the face closed and wind screen open, but not too bad.

Still getting used to the design of the chin curtain (I've popped it off a few times when trying to open the face), but I'm sure that's just part of the getting to know you phase of the helmet.

I've noticed significant reduction in head shaking when I'm behind semis and SUVs. A note to glasses wearers, the padding in the temple area is looser than in may other helmets. If you wear thin framed glasses, you may have some minor issues with your glasses shifting on your face when riding with the face open (Yes, I know they say you're not supposed to do this. Thanks mom).

The biggest downside is the $450 pricetag, but I gotta admit, its hands down, the nicest helmet I've ever worn.

My only complaint is the squeaky, cheap feel of the integrated sun visor.

:thumbup:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts