StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm attempting to install some rox risers. The Abs line is way too tight. I don't really want to re-route it. Have snipped the zip ties. Was considering moving the ABS master cylinder forward to accommodate. Anyone have experience with this?
Thank you,
MM

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Are you referring to the brake hose? If so others have rerouted and were happy with the lie of the hose. I tried rerouting several different ways and was never satisfied with the results. So for me it was either get a custom length hose made (not expensive) or get rid of the risers. I ended up just going back to stock and selling the risers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking into putting 2" bar risers on my L2 Wee Strom. I noticed the manufacturer wrote somewhere that there is not enough play in the cables to install it without new cables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having recently played around with risers on my 2016 DL1000, I can confirm that the front brake line is the limiting factor. No re-routing of the line can help as the short distance between the master cylinder and the manifold block on the front frame is the problem. No cutting of cable ties, nor re-routing of the line under the top triple clamp, will help (that actually hurts the situation due to the angled nipple on the manifold block).

I tried a 30 mm straight, non angled riser, and after removing all cable restraints from the triple clamp, both throttle/brake and clutch side, it kind-of worked. Turning the forks full lock on the clutch side was OK, but full lock on the brake side was definitely stressing the front brake line. Too much for me to be ever comfortable leaving it like that, even though the forks are really never turned into the lock towards the brake side.

I read information that 25 mm risers will work on 2014+ without issue other than maybe removing the retainer for the clutch line under the triple clamp. I'm not saying I doubt that, but after the 30 mm experience and knowing what that looked like, I KNEW I would be fine with 20 mm risers.

So, I bought 20mm SW-Motech straight risers. They fit perfectly, although I did still remove the clutch line retaining hardware from under the triple clamp. The brake side was left completely alone. There's no discomforting level of stress on any cable / hose line with the 20 mm's. Would 25 mm be alright? Maybe, but 20 mm, I can speak to with absolute certainty.

For me, the small bump in height really does improve my upright riding posture, but I wasn't needing anything gigantic as far as rise anyway (I'm 6'4" on a stock seat).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed roxx 2in risers on my 18 1000 XT. I had to drop the forks and route the cables behind the top triple tree and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I put 2” Rox and Adventure high bars on my 2014 650. Got the Galfer 2” longer brake hose. It was a pain to get to the fitting above the rad. All hoses and cables now run behind the fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed 2” Rox Risers on my 2018 1000XT and had to route throttle cables behind forks and and cut some zip ties to maximize cable routing, did not lower forks but did slide the front brake lever assembly inward on the handle bar a 1/2” and it all worked out well. This install does take some trial and errror but is worth it to me. Very happy with the risers.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I have 3.5" Rox on my bars. I replaced the upper part of brake hose with a SS braided line that was about 3 or 4 inches longer. Cost maybe $40 and all stock fittings used, nothing custom. I also replaced my clutch hose with a SS line, that cost another $40.

The electrical I had to route to other side of triple tree as I did not want to lengthen anything there, and it works fine like this.

It is easy enough to do this if you really want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all.......

I'm attempting to install a 2" ROX anti vibe riser on my 2014 V...I can confirm with a raised blood pressure, that the ABS hard line connections are a complete pain in the ass. I bought a longer stainless braided line with banjo fitting for the top, thinking the 10mm threaded end would marry to the ABS hard line flared fitting. No go... I've ordered more fittings, hoping that Russell part number 641471 or 641411 Adapter Fittings - Brake and Clutch Hose - Russell Performance Products will work... Does anyone know what the thread size or spec is for the ABS hard line fitting? I'm not sure how you guys are making the factory brake line work with a 2" riser. There is absolutely no way that it will work on my 2014, even if I commit to riding only in straight lines for the rest of my life...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, definitely need a longer brake line which I have gotten...the problem is the threads on the factory "block" or rigid brake line fitting doesn't thread into the 10mm fitting on the new hose. I ordered a Russell which was more ready available than the Galfer. I'm curious to know that those thread specs are so I can get a proper hose or adapter... Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 2 inch PowerMadd Risers on my 2014 Vstrom 1K. The brake line is long enough but just barely. It gets very tight when the bars are tuned full lock to the left but it's okay because the a) the bars will go to full lock when needed, and b) it's not needed that much so 99% of the time that line isn't tight at all.

But that's me. If you'd be more comfortable with longer lines, the best option is probably Adventuretech, who sells +2 inch lines.

However, there is another option. I have a 2018 Vstrom 1K. In my continuing search for the best bar position, I installed 3 inch Powermadd risers. The brake line is definitely too short for these. Here's an alternative to installing new extended brake lines:

https://www.helibars.com/products/Hydraulic-Line-Extension-%2d-5-1{47}8-inch-(13cm)-length/618.html

This is a brake line extension made by Galfer that Helibars sells for their Kawi Concours 14 handlebars. (I knew about them because I used to have a C14 that I installed Helibars on.) The bolted right up to my 2018 and provide more than enough slack for the 3 inch risers. They aren't the most elegant looking things to be sure, but they're very functional. And they're easy to install since you don't have to bleed the full brake system, only the length of the new line. And they provide a bleeder screw where the extension joins to the stock line to make that easier.

Incidentally, I myself like the Powermadd risers more than the Rox Isers. The Powermadd is a single, one piece riser instead of two independent risers. That means the bars on the extender will always be exactly alighted with the triple tree. With the Rox Risers, with separate left side and right side adjustments, it's possible to get the bars slightly off kilter -- one more thing to have to fool with when installing them.

Hope this is helpful.

Vinnie

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey all.......

I'm attempting to install a 2" ROX anti vibe riser on my 2014 V...I can confirm with a raised blood pressure, that the ABS hard line connections are a complete pain in the ass. I bought a longer stainless braided line with banjo fitting for the top, thinking the 10mm threaded end would marry to the ABS hard line flared fitting. No go... I've ordered more fittings, hoping that Russell part number 641471 or 641411 Adapter Fittings - Brake and Clutch Hose - Russell Performance Products will work... Does anyone know what the thread size or spec is for the ABS hard line fitting? I'm not sure how you guys are making the factory brake line work with a 2" riser. There is absolutely no way that it will work on my 2014, even if I commit to riding only in straight lines for the rest of my life...

Dudes go to Fren Tub web site. looks up the DL1000 2014 to 2018. They make lines with all the stock hardware (even the blocks that fit into the ABS lines) and they make custom lengths./

I have a set. exquisite workmanship

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. The adapter to go from standard threaded lines to the Strom ABS rigid lines is a -3 to 10mm x 1.0 Japanese female Endura adapter. I used Russell parts, #R41411. It is complete and feels great. I may switch everything out to braided stainless now though, as I like the more solid braking feel over rubber lines... Cheers!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had 2 inch Rox Risers on my 2018 Vstrom 1K. The brake line is just barely long enough. The line is very tight when the bars are tuned full lock to the left but I thought it would be okay because the bars will go to full lock when needed, and it's not needed that much.

If you'd like a longer line because you're uncomfortable with the tightness of that brake line, the best option is probably Adventuretech, who sells +2 inch lines. If you'd like a simpler solution, you might look at these:

https://www.helibars.com/products/Hydraulic-Line-Extension-%2d-5-1{47}8-inch-(13cm)-length/618.html

This is a brake line extension made by Galfer that Helibars sells for their Kawi Concours 14 handlebars. (I knew about them because I used to have a C14 that I installed Helibars on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had 2 inch Rox Risers on my 2018 Vstrom 1K. The brake line is just barely long enough. The line is very tight when the bars are tuned full lock to the left but I thought it would be okay because the bars will go to full lock when needed, and it's not needed that much.

If you'd like a longer line because you're uncomfortable with the tightness of that brake line, the best option is probably Adventuretech, who sells +2 inch lines. If you'd like a simpler solution, you might look at these:

This is a brake line extension made by Galfer that Helibars sells for their Kawi Concours 14 handlebars. (I knew about them because I used to have a C14 that I installed Helibars on.
Just curious, would this Galfer extension work on the clutch side as well?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I haven't looked closely and I'm in Mexico for the next few weeks away from the bike so I can't look until I get back. My impression is that they will. However, at least in my case, there was plenty of slack on the clutch side for 3 inch risers with the line repositioned behind the triple tree.

Vinnie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts