StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New DL650 rider here – picked up my new 2014 EXP less than a week ago. Driving it away from the dealer I didn't want to stop! I can hardly wait for the summer and some planned tours throughout BC and Alberta.

I am planning to mount an over-the-dash GPS – I have ordered the Line of Sight GPS Mount from Ravetech.

My question has to do with wiring: what is the best path to route the power from the battery to over the dash? Getting power to the handle bars seems very easy; however, the top of the dash seems “sealed”. I would prefer not to have the cable exposed and looped around the side of the dash. I have not seen any examples on-line on how people have brought power to the top of their dash.

Any suggestions for a clean solution would be great.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Can't help you with wiring since I always put my GPS on my Left Handlebar but:

Welcome aboard!!!! Crazy fanatastic scenery and riding in BC and Alberta! Where are you in BC?

You might want to stop in the Canadian Section in Regional Forums and say hello.

..Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
i'm in on this too. just bought my bracket from rick and am mounting to a 2013 with a madstad windscreen.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I pulled the instrument panel out, put about a 3/8" notch with grommet in the top edge, and routed the wires through there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I drilled a small hole in the front of the fairing that is covered by the GPS mount. One of the rubber plugs that covers the spare holes for the windscreen mount can also be pulled for access. The connector to the instrument panel has an orange wire with a green stripe that is ignition on hot and a black wire with a white stripe for ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't help you with wiring since I always put my GPS on my Left Handlebar but:

Welcome aboard!!!! Crazy fanatastic scenery and riding in BC and Alberta! Where are you in BC?

You might want to stop in the Canadian Section in Regional Forums and say hello.

..Tom
Thanks Tom! I’m pretty excited to have the V-Strom.

I live in downtown Vancouver, right next to Stanley Park. Lots of great half-day rides from here, including a nice ride up to Squamish and back. Just dealing with traffic right around home can be a bit of a pain.

Now that my CBR500 is gone (new rider – that was my learning bike for the past 18 months), I’m looking forward to longer trips. I have family in Alberta, so I thought Vancouver->Edmonton->Calgary->Vancouver would make a great summer trip.

Also I have trips to Lillooet, Penticton and Vancouver Island planned over the next couple of months.

We have been really lucky with the weather here Tom! It has been sunny and fairly warm for weeks! The dealer I picked the bike up said they had their best sales in February ever.

I will check it out the regional forums.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Small notch with a chainsaw file did the trick for me. The cable lays nicely along the "groove" when the GPS isn't on the bike. I also have a small rubber cap for the cable so it doesn't stay exposed when not in use.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Congrats on the new bike the EXP looks awesome!

On the 2005 there was enough room to run the wire under the windshield and down to the battery. It's hard to explain but I'll see if I have any pics tonight. No drilling, cutting, etc. Not sure if will apply to your bike though.

I'd run it straight to the battery if you do any camping. It's nice to leave the phone/gps charging up while you sit around the fire! I try not to charge the phone/gps while riding unless i have too as the vibrations on the connection make me nervous!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drilled a small hole in the front of the fairing that is covered by the GPS mount. One of the rubber plugs that covers the spare holes for the windscreen mount can also be pulled for access. The connector to the instrument panel has an orange wire with a green stripe that is ignition on hot and a black wire with a white stripe for ground.
Thanks. I'm waiting for the mount to arrive so I haven't removed the windscreen to investigate. But I did notice the holes with the rubber plugs and was already thinking about this. My was thinking about running the Zumo 590 cable from there, under the side fairing to the battery.

Is there any need to seal the hole?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small notch with a chainsaw file did the trick for me. The cable lays nicely along the "groove" when the GPS isn't on the bike. I also have a small rubber cap for the cable so it doesn't stay exposed when not in use.
This looks great! Thanks for the picture too - I'm trying to visualize the different options.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Is there any need to seal the hole?
Mine is a close fit and shielded by the mount so I didn't bother. Water is going to get behind the fairing when riding in the rain. It wouldn't hurt to seal it and some may prefer to do just that. If using a spare windscreen mount hole, converting the plug into a grommet should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the new bike the EXP looks awesome!

On the 2005 there was enough room to run the wire under the windshield and down to the battery. It's hard to explain but I'll see if I have any pics tonight. No drilling, cutting, etc. Not sure if will apply to your bike though.

I'd run it straight to the battery if you do any camping. It's nice to leave the phone/gps charging up while you sit around the fire! I try not to charge the phone/gps while riding unless i have too as the vibrations on the connection make me nervous!
Thanks Tenny,

Pretty excited about the bike.

On the 2014 it looks like I will have to "create" a path if I want the cable to exit at the top of the dash. I'm getting the Zumo 590, so I also want to run the cable directly to the battery. Having the USB port with the Zumo cable is nice for phone/Go Pro charging.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hello,

New DL650 rider here – picked up my new 2014 EXP less than a week ago. Driving it away from the dealer I didn't want to stop! I can hardly wait for the summer and some planned tours throughout BC and Alberta.

I am planning to mount an over-the-dash GPS – I have ordered the Line of Sight GPS Mount from Ravetech.

My question has to do with wiring: what is the best path to route the power from the battery to over the dash? Getting power to the handle bars seems very easy; however, the top of the dash seems “sealed”. I would prefer not to have the cable exposed and looped around the side of the dash. I have not seen any examples on-line on how people have brought power to the top of their dash.

Any suggestions for a clean solution would be great.

Thanks!

I used one of the windshield mounting holes not in use. Popped out the rubber stopper and replaced it with a grommet. I used a dab of silicone seal to seal the hole but I don't think it was needed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do this stuff as my course of work.

I have not looked on the DL yet, but I typically run my power cords to follow control cables. I use a home wiring fishing rod to pull the wire through under the tank. Using zip types and a flush nipper I get a nearly OEM looking set up,

·
Registered
76 Posts
... But I did notice the holes with the rubber plugs and was already thinking about this. My was thinking about running the Zumo 590 cable from there, under the side fairing to the battery. ...
Since you have a Garmin 590 I don't think you will be able to just drill a hole or go through on of the unused windshield mount holes. On one end of that cable is the cradle and on the other end is a big rubber over-mold where the cable splits into 6 separate wires. Neither of those end devices is removable. I put a notch in the edge of the combination meter cover and when put back together with the fairing it makes a pretty tight fit. I'm not sure if it has to be water tight since it looks like the screws in the area have weep holes that would allow water into the fairing anyway. I used a little clear silicone just to be safe.

To make the notch, find a drill bit the same size as the cable and drill a hole where you want to the cable to end up. In this case, you have to be far enough from the edge to clear the fairing once reassembled. Then use a small fine-toothed saw to cut a notch from the edge of the plastic to the hole. For small wires you can probably just make one cut from the edge to the hole and then flex the plastic just enough to slip the wire through. This cable is too big for that so you'll need two parallel cuts ... one each to opposite sides of the hole.

View from the saddle ...

View looking down upon the point of entry ...

·
Registered
92 Posts

I cut my cable and just soldered two wires to it and ran it to the fuse box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I drilled a hole just large enough for the cable to go through on the left top side of the dash behind the allen bolt. I disassembled part of the dash to run the large part of the power cable through and then bolted everything together. The overhang makes it impossible to see the hole as the power cable fills it. Should I decide to remove everything back to stock a small amount of black silicone will hide the hole. FWIW.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts