StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the folks who have had their bikes for 75K+ miles, what's your routine maintenance regimen look like?

I just bought my first wee about a month and a half ago after about a 3 year break from riding. After about 1500 miles I realized, "hey, I ought to clean the chain" - and I should've probably had that thought several hundred miles ago.

I'd really like to keep this bike around a while and would greatly appreciate advice about keeping it trouble-free (beyond the direction given in the users manual)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I am on a Vee and at 59,000 miles. Should be close enough for you.

A filter - every 20,000 miles. Probably a stretch but its a bitch to R&R and the air box below the filter has been spotless, both times. Dirt riding...much sooner.

Chain - never clean, waste of time IMO if street ridden. I use good Bel Ray clean lube every 600 miles like clock work. If I hit rain, I lube the next day. I check tension evey ride, adjustments have been rare.

Oil - Mobil 1 full synthetic. 5000 mile interval.

Oil filter - OEM, every other oil change, 10,000 miles.

Plugs - Non Iridium, I changed at 10,000 mile intervals and they always looked fine. I switched to iridium last time...and plan on 20,000 miles.

Coolant - every third or fourth year. Done it once.

Fuel filter - at 50,000 or so mine clogged and I back flushed it. Waste of my time as at 59,000 it was clogged again. Replaced with oem...$$$$$ part.

Battery - nothing, I ride to much for a tender.

Valves - at 25,000. they were so close to spec that i will not check again for quite a long time. maybe at 80,000 or so.

Throttle body sync - at 25,000 with the valves. Will not do again until it runs funky.

Tires and brakes...as needed, and I run them down to almost toast.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The maintenance instructions in the shop manual are most of what you need. Overkill, actually.

I'd say there are only a few additional things to pay attention to as the bike accumulates miles:

1) Rear suspension -- the stock suspension sucks at both ends, and the rear shock wears out over time. Talk to Sasquatch about rebuilding the rear shock. Once he reworks it, future rebuilds are very reasonably priced.

2) Steering stem bearings -- you'll need to replace these with tapered bearings at some point. The stock ball bearings might get you 30,000 miles or so if you're a small, gentle rider.

3) Electrical connections -- about once a year, or whenever the bodywork is off for some other reason, unplug all the electrical connectors, inspect, clean/repair as needed, and reassemble with dielectric grease. Suzuki always has used low-rent, undersized, corrosion-prone electrical connectors, but if you keep them clean they'll last darn near forever and head off lots of future problems and expense. Boring but necessary. Consider improving the Reg/Rect and headlight connectors.

4) Many years from now, you'll also want to look through the parts diagrams for all the rubber and foam bits and replace these. On vintage bikes, it's astonishing what a difference all those little cushions and grommets make. The shrink and harden over time, and the bike slowly starts to rattle over bumps, the bodywork moves around, etc. Replace all these, and the bike feels and sounds new again. Plus, they're cheap and dang near everything is still easily available from Suzuki.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
I have 66k on my 07 Vee

I have followed the owners manual pretty religiously, minor service every 3750± clean & lube lever pivots, linkage, brake calipers etc are as importan as the oil change, I have oil filter changed every time

intermediate service every 7500 includes all of above+ plugs TPS adjustment, TBS, I replace the AF every 7500 as well, dusty gravel roads, and even worse, winter salt dust, it needs replacing, I don't think AF that often is normal

major service all of above + valve last inspection/adjustment if necessary

I run a Scottoiler and zero maintenance on the chain, if it needs adjusting when it goes in for service it gets done then

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight gents. I appreciate your experience.

1) Rear suspension -- the stock suspension sucks at both ends, and the rear shock wears out over time. Talk to Sasquatch about rebuilding the rear shock. Once he reworks it, future rebuilds are very reasonably priced.
How much time are we talking here?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts