StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, while doing some routine maintenance, I did the clutch adjustment. However, where I get a little iffy is how the manual describes that you loosen the lock nut, tighten down the adjuster screw 'until it stops'. As I'm turning in the adjuster screw, I can feel it getting harder and harder, but not sure exactly how tight I should go 'until it stops'. What I finally did was to tighten the screw until it got pretty firm to the feel and then backed off 1/4 turn. Being the persnickety guy that I be, it has been at the back of mind if I did this correctly. The clutch works just fine.....good strong engagement with no slipping or funny noises or feel. Should I have cranked down on the screw until it got really tight, which would have been truly 'until it stops' tight? ...did I get it right by turning the screw in until it got quite firm?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I say yes

I adjusted mine the other day- to me there was a distinct difference between pushing hard and not really pushing on the pushrod

its a funky wee mechanism for sure

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
"Stops" is a bad word. The adjuster hits the clutch release push rod and then starts separating the plates. Back it off until it turns freely. Then turn it in lightly until you feel resistance as the adjuster meets the push rod. . Then back it out 1/4 turn. Hold the adjuster in that position with the screwdriver as you tighten the lock nut.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I adjusted mine the other day- to me there was a distinct difference between pushing hard and not really pushing on the pushrod

its a funky wee mechanism for sure

That's what I expected to feel, but didn't. I think now that part of the solution is to clean the area free of the built-up chain lube gunk that may have added to that premature firm feel. I cleaned some of out by using a big flat screwdriver but it was far from being clean.....and I didn't remove that spiral thingie which could have given access to the rod which is caked with gunk. I just didn't have time as this was the last task and it was after 1AM.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Stops" is a bad word. The adjuster hits the clutch release push rod and then starts separating the plates. Back it off until it turns freely. Then turn it in lightly until you feel resistance as the adjuster meets the push rod. . Then back it out 1/4 turn. Hold the adjuster in that position with the screwdriver as you tighten the lock nut.

Thanks Pat. As I was working the screw in and out, I watched its effect upon the rod and the arm that the cable attaches to. From your description, I am confident that I can get it adjusted correctly and sleep better than I did last night. As it is now, I think it is probably adjust a little too tight. I certainly don't want it slipping slightly as I ride and suddenly have no clutch!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts