StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a short notice trip to a wedding near Philadelphia with my son on our Wee/Wee2 bikes.
We're leaving late Thursday afternoon and stopping on the way down for the night and continuing on to a Friday wedding.
We've got all day Saturday and Sunday to get home and are looking for some back roads going through that area of PA up towards the Hudson river valley and eventually back through Connecticut to Eastern Mass.
Any help with those last 2 days would be great,
Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rt 7 in CT North of 84 is nice
Rt 2 in Western MA is nice. Rt 2 east of 91 turns into more of an expressway, but it's better than a regular highway like 90.

More info here http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestOfNorthEast.htm
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the suggestions and the link. We will be going by way of rte 84 as far as Hartford and we were thinking of using rte 44 to go West towards Poughkeepsie for day 1. But I'll take a look at rte 7 as well and maybe rte 2 for the way home.
My son has picked out some roads in PA that sound interesting too, I'll post a summary of what we decided on when I return.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You will be coming through my back yard. Where are you coming from in the Philly area. I can get you through on some nice roads.

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
When I return from visiting my sister in Collegeville I run up 611N to 209N to 44E to 202N up along the Quabbin to 2E to 495N for the last jaunt up to home here on the North Shore. When I need speed I just run out 84 to 209 to 33 to 309. Where near Philly? I grew up in Conshy out towards King of Prussia. I was supposed to go down there in a couple of weeks but now I have to go away on business on that Sunday so had to cancel my family plans. That just sucks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will be coming through my back yard. Where are you coming from in the Philly area. I can get you through on some nice roads.
The wedding is at a place called Chadds Ford, PA. We'll be heading home from there to Eastrern Massachusetts on Saturday and Sunday.
We're trying to avoid New Jersey and the NY city area.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When I return from visiting my sister in Collegeville I run up 611N to 209N to 44E to 202N up along the Quabbin to 2E to 495N for the last jaunt up to home here on the North Shore. When I need speed I just run out 84 to 209 to 33 to 309. Where near Philly? I grew up in Conshy out towards King of Prussia. I was supposed to go down there in a couple of weeks but now I have to go away on business on that Sunday so had to cancel my family plans. That just sucks.
Thanks for the tip on 611 and 209. I'm somewhat familiar with 202.
My son has mentioned 209. that looks good too.
The wedding is in Chadds Ford, sort of southwest of Phillie.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - we're coming the other way from Nova Scotia ....appreciate the tip.

OP

44/144 are must do in PA as well as Wykoff Run

Motorbike Ride : Wyckoff Run : Sinnamahoning

144 both north and south of Renovo is a must do.
Thanks for the tips and the link, I've got until Thursday afternoon to work out a route up and back for this. Starting to get interesting now ;)
Thanks all fir the help!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hank122, there is no good way to get from Chadds Ford to the good roads. I would recommend starting early before any traffic hits.
Take US202 north to Doylestown then get on PA611 north. Follow that all the way through the Delaware Water Gap and then pick up I80 for about 1/2 a mile to US209 (If you look at a map you get on I80 west and get right back off.) Take US 209 all the way to Port Jervis NY here you have a choice you can continue up 209 or pick up NY97 through the Hawks nest up to Narrowsburg, then cut east on NY52 which will take you back to US209 from there I will leave it to the folks up that way. Pic is NY 97 (Hawks Nest) above Port Jervis, it follows the Delaware River.
IF you want to PM me with the dates you will be headed north I will see if I am able to ride with you a while and show you around some of the crappy parts.
Ride well,
ltljohn

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hank122, there is no good way to get from Chadds Ford to the good roads. I would recommend starting early before any traffic hits.
Take US202 north to Doylestown then get on PA611 north. Follow that all the way through the Delaware Water Gap and then pick up I80 for about 1/2 a mile to US209 (If you look at a map you get on I80 west and get right back off.) Take US 209 all the way to Port Jervis NY here you have a choice you can continue up 209 or pick up NY97 through the Hawks nest up to Narrowsburg, then cut east on NY52 which will take you back to US209 from there I will leave it to the folks up that way. Pic is NY 97 (Hawks Nest) above Port Jervis, it follows the Delaware River.
IF you want to PM me with the dates you will be headed north I will see if I am able to ride with you a while and show you around some of the crappy parts.
Ride well,
ltljohn
ltljohn,
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I can see what you mean about the area near Chadds Ford from looking at the map =\
But I'm definitely interested in those other roads you mentioned. That picture of rte 97 looks awesome.
I'll work it out with my son and see what we can come up with. We'll definitely have more time on the ride home to Massachusetts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ride well,
ltljohn

This is the same route we were going to take down actually. I've done this drive, something very similar and remembered the Delaware water gap was a beautiful area so I wanted to go through there again. On the way back, since we have more time, was thinking of coming back into Jervis and getting on 97 and looping through to route 30 then through the catskills.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hank, as you probably are aware, Rt 2 becomes more "expressway-like" the further east you go, and people get quite aggressive. If not pressed for time, I usually jump off 2 and get on 62 at some point. Earliest is in Orange; take 122 south (at the northern tip of the Quabbin) and follow it to Barre center, where you pick up 62. It's a great ride and goes through some lovely towns.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hank, as you probably are aware, Rt 2 becomes more "expressway-like" the further east you go, and people get quite aggressive. If not pressed for time, I usually jump off 2 and get on 62 at some point. Earliest is in Orange; take 122 south (at the northern tip of the Quabbin) and follow it to Barre center, where you pick up 62. It's a great ride and goes through some lovely towns.
Yeah, I know what you mean about rte 2 Eastern end.
Thanks for the tip on rte 62, though, earlier this year I was trying to complete a day trip loop and stayed on rte 122 too long (before I got my GPS) and ended up in downtown Worcester, yikes! I somehow found my way to 290 and out to 495 south (I live in Millis) but it was close to afternoon rush hour and was starting to sprinkle rain, not fun, lol!
If I had taken 62 I would have most of that crap.
Looking forward to this trip, going to be fun and I won't be riding alone for a change. My son has the '06 Wee now. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is the same route we were going to take down actually. I've done this drive, something very similar and remembered the Delaware water gap was a beautiful area so I wanted to go through there again. On the way back, since we have more time, was thinking of coming back into Jervis and getting on 97 and looping through to route 30 then through the catskills.
You will love this route scenic and beautiful. Especially the Hawks nest and the delaware river views

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
32 up along the Delaware River is nice and many covered bridges right off that road. NY97 is a great road and when yo get to Hancock NY take NY30 to NY29 and 9N up to Lake George NY. Then North to Lake Placid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts