StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

^that part.

6 days, the marker's are just for routing sake.

was hoping for a decent route from the bottom of the peninsula back through ME and NH.

we have 4, maybe 5 days after leaving quebec, i'd like to spend 2 days on the peninsula, so 2 days to get back. i've been up and down the coast a few times, and traveled to bar harbor once inland via back roads... and loved it.

so what should i miss and what should i hit? and where should we stay?

thanks for any advice.

we'll be riding the week that is the last of may and first of june if anyone's interested in tagging along... and if anyone knows what to expect weather better than me... i'm expecting 50's?

thanks!
-jon

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Weather could be raw, and socked in. Be prepared for it. Do a gaspe search here and there might be routes and tracks. Maybe Black Lab will chime in. He's got most of those roads memorized by now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do you want to hit Montreal? There's some nice riding North of Sherbrooke if you can live without going via Montreal.
As for weather- I was riding NS and NB in late may two years ago, and the coast was chilly with snow still in the elevations, but NB was warmer. Id say May can be hit or miss.
I'm planning same trip but a little later in the season...

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got a busy year ahead of me, this is the only week that really worked for us. we'll see how it goes... montreal is just going to be a view from the highway, we're gonna buzz up to quebec the first day and try to spend some time in the city...

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Once you are on Québec side of the river, don't cross back to the south side. Continue riding up to the town of St. Simeon, then cross the river via the ferry service to Riviére du Loup. It will cost you about $41 to make this crossing. Doing this is FAR, FAR more interesting then slabbing it on the south side up to RdL.

I have more tips for you, but I am busy writing other stuff right now. There is still time to drop them here before you leave.

I will say, that you DO need to prepare for cold weather riding. You may not get it, but Frostypuck is correct about his thoughts on this.

(My experience has been, you WILL get it!!!)

B.L.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts

so what should i miss and what should i hit? and where should we stay?
[/QUOTE]

been so long since I've made that trip, and never on a bike yet

several lighthouses along the route, I camped at ForillionNP, went cod fishing, whale & seal watching

there's an awesome vertical shaft windmill in Cap Chat,

[size=2][b][url=http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1]Never pay again for live sex![/url] | [url=http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3]Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free![/url] | [url=http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5]Chat for free![/url][/b][/size]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can comfortably ride in anything above freezing... i ride with a heated vest and enough gear that i don't need it. the guy i'm riding with spent a day riding in below freezing weather with me, without any heated gear and a short windscreen. wasn't the most pleasant, but he was comfortable enough to be safe.

we're planning the trip pretty loosely... if when the time comes it proves to be too... uninviting... we can find someplace south to ride to. we just prefer that direction.

i dont think we'll have a problem finding places to sleep? i just now realized we're leaving memorial day weekend. that's when our tourist season starts in upstate NY, but most hotels/campgrounds open a few weeks ahead.

blacklab, i look forward to anymore advice you care to share. the stretch between quebec city and st simeon: is it worth swooping inland a bit and making a day of it, or should i stick to the river bank and try to cross midday making some time into gaspe? i had planned on spending a full day in quebec city, but would give it up if the riding justified it.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
i can comfortably ride in anything above freezing... i ride with a heated vest and enough gear that i don't need it. the guy i'm riding with spent a day riding in below freezing weather with me, without any heated gear and a short windscreen. wasn't the most pleasant, but he was comfortable enough to be safe.

we're planning the trip pretty loosely... if when the time comes it proves to be too... uninviting... we can find someplace south to ride to. we just prefer that direction.

i dont think we'll have a problem finding places to sleep? i just now realized we're leaving memorial day weekend. that's when our tourist season starts in upstate NY, but most hotels/campgrounds open a few weeks ahead.

blacklab, i look forward to anymore advice you care to share. the stretch between quebec city and st simeon: is it worth swooping inland a bit and making a day of it, or should i stick to the river bank and try to cross midday making some time into gaspe? i had planned on spending a full day in quebec city, but would give it up if the riding justified it.
You don't have time for a "swoop" inland. There really isn't "swoop route" anyway. Between Québec City and St. Simeon, nearly all roads lead to the Lac St-Jean and Saguenay Fjord, (Rt 381 is my favorite all time road to ride.). If your goal is the Gaspé, you have some "humping" to do to get there and to get home.

RandyO is dead on with what he mentioned in his post.

When you enter into Cap Chat, you will see a large field of Wind turbines.

Cap Chat is home to Éole. The largest vertical wind turbine.

I got kicked out after taking this photo......

BTW, Does anyone know these "two-up" riders? They are from Québec and we met at Éole.

This is what they look like on the road.

RandyO is also right about Parc Forillion. Where you want to camp there is, Cap-Bon-Ami right near the tip of the Gaspé.

This is the view when you walk down to the beach from the campsites.

But, be careful of some of the wildlife that you pass to get to the beach!!!

More in the near future.

B.L.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i greatly appreciate it.

in reality we have 8 days, sat-sun. i'd like to plan for 6 days, giving us 2 days if things go sour weatherwise or if we find something we really need to spend another day on. otherwise i'll have 2 days to recover and catch up on "honey do list".
so, we have access to 8 days, but i have intentions of planning on 6.

this guy did gaspe+cabot trail in 8 days
started in syracuse NY and covered 3200 miles in 8 days. im planning for a little over half the distance he covered. i based alot of initial planning (where, how long) on similar ride reports. given im less experienced with distance riding than them and you, but i am experienced in endurance sports. they're less dangerous when you're tired than bikes though so i plan to keep it safe in my entry into distance riding.

i'm not very familiar with much outside US border in the NE, so i greatly appreciate the advice. i'm becoming a married man this fall and buying a piece of property now on top of the home we already own, so time will become more and more scarce in the near future...

thanks again look forward to future comments (and great pics!)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
cold and wet

We rode thru Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in mid June 2009 and had cool temps and more than enough rain. Go prepared for wet and cold.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
i'm not very familiar with much outside US border in the NE, so i greatly appreciate the advice.
One thing about Atlantic Canada, even on the TCH -- write this down -- if you see a gas station and you've got half a tank, BUY GAS, especially away from the larger cities and when riding the secondary roads. Also, your US credit and/or debit card may or may not work. One Shell station in Moncton has signs all over the place saying they do not accept US issued credit/debit cards. Some gas stations/hotels put very large holds on debit/credit resources and may not release them for up to eight days (BoA insists it does not do this; my experience and overextended ass sez otherwise). What's worse is that when the actual charges post to your account, the hold may still not be released. So if you buy gas 10 times in eight days, you may be facing a $1000 hold, plus $150+ for each night's lodging. Even if you don't actually put the hotel charges on the card and pay cash, many hotels insist on a card and put a hold on it.\

One last comment about gas -- finding a station open early morning Sunday is tough in NB. Get gas before you park the bike at night.

US cash may or may not work, but usually does. Canadian cash always works and I prefer to use cash on Canada trips. ATM's are relatively easy to find.

If you do take Canadian currency with you, any local commercial bank can get it for you, with usually a day or two notice. They will charge you the going exchange rate. I usually do this.

·
Registered
333 Posts
One more point to add to tmcgee's advice...
If you depend heavily on GPS as I do, take the gas, hotel, food poi's with a grain of salt.
In two instances on Nova Scotia, I asked garmin to bring me to the closest gas station which it found 40kms away. In the real world, there was one 2kms away.
This was on an updated zumo550 two years ago, so things may have improved
Chris in Boston

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
One more point to add to tmcgee's advice...
If you depend heavily on GPS as I do, take the gas, hotel, food poi's with a grain of salt.
I tend not to use the Canada POI's for the exact reason you don't.

The Garmin Topo Maps are much better at knowing where the roads are in many parts of Atlantic Canada. In places, the stock City Navigator maps are just the vectored base maps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in montreal now for the weekend... -10f tonight and -4 sunday during the day! before wind chill!

my french is pretty rusty and meals in the city are suprisingly expensive...

but my favourite canadian beers are cheap! i bought a 3/4 litre of la fin du monde last night for $5!

also, aparently you're supposed to sign your passports before the border... we took them out of the envelope and handed them to the border gaurd. i'll have it taken care of before i head back south.

thanks again for the advice, some of it has been useful already for this trip. i didn't realize verizon would have data roaming charges, makes sense but not something i considered. luckily i travel with GPS and paper maps...

off to the biodome today and a fancy restaurant for dinner

-jon

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I would listen to what black lab is saying about the weather and road suggestions. That tends to be the time of year that cold and damp still hangs around these parts. Sometimes for days on end. If its just you and you have a heated vest, your golden. If the weather is not cooperating, then your times will be alot slower and you'll miss out on the views that you are hoping for (I would imagine).

My only advice is to enjoy the ride and the views. Over 3000 miles is alot of distance to cover in a little over a week. I did 2000 miles from southern to northern to southern California in 3.5 days with perfect weather (May in California is really different than Canada and Maine at the same time :???:). I was beat down when it was over, but I only had 4 days to squeeze the trip in. Enjoyed it, but it was a lot to take in visually.

Do the trip, but enjoy the ride and each thing that you pass through. Can't wait to read your ride reports after you get back. :cheers2:

Best of luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we're looking to cover 1700-2000 miles, not 3000. i have a heated vest, my buddy doesn't but has plenty of gear. we both just invested in one piece rain suits with sweet hoods.

i'm still looking for advice getting through northern maine, inland.or am i better coming down canada side and crossing more towards the NH ME border?

I would listen to what black lab is saying about the weather and road suggestions. That tends to be the time of year that cold and damp still hangs around these parts. Sometimes for days on end. If its just you and you have a heated vest, your golden. If the weather is not cooperating, then your times will be alot slower and you'll miss out on the views that you are hoping for (I would imagine).

My only advice is to enjoy the ride and the views. Over 3000 miles is alot of distance to cover in a little over a week. I did 2000 miles from southern to northern to southern California in 3.5 days with perfect weather (May in California is really different than Canada and Maine at the same time :???:). I was beat down when it was over, but I only had 4 days to squeeze the trip in. Enjoyed it, but it was a lot to take in visually.

Do the trip, but enjoy the ride and each thing that you pass through. Can't wait to read your ride reports after you get back. :cheers2:

Best of luck.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
i'm still looking for advice getting through northern maine, inland.or am i better coming down canada side and crossing more towards the NH ME border?
Jeepers.....it's only March!

I will take a look at my notes and maps this weekend and I will post something in the near future.

B.L.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh no, i've got time. just wanted to make sure that's the subject of the thread. cold wet foggy rainy long distance learn some french and carry $2 coins.... got that covered. seems we'll certainly have the "adventure" part covered with the weather. if it's nice we'll appreciate it that much more.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
oh no, i've got time. just wanted to make sure that's the subject of the thread.
You almost sound afraid that I might change the subject to flying, cooking, reading flying related books, or something other then your topic. Me? I would NEVER hijack a thread!

BTW, I got my new copy of AOPA magazine today! I am excited to start reading it!!! I will share the "bits and pieces" that I feel may be of interest to you, as I read, when they come up. Okay?

B.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You almost sound afraid that I might change the subject to flying, cooking, reading flying related books, or something other then your topic. Me? I would NEVER hijack a thread!

BTW, I got my new copy of AOPA magazine today! I am excited to start reading it!!! I will share the "bits and pieces" that I feel may be of interest to you, as I read, when they come up. Okay?

B.
:thumbup: it took me two go-arounds reading this before i caught sarcasm. that's what i get for frequenting the internet late in the evening. i've been reading through your "2011 modification" thread, good stuff. i hope things work out with you and planes, it'll open the door to even more exciting adventures and then someday i can buy your book. i hope all the work you put into this forum is being recorded otherplaces? i'd hate to see all the hours of well written work get lost in forum land.

there, i hijacked my own thread. hoping to get the bike out of storage wednesday, start getting things situated for our trip. maybe i can get casey, my partner in this adventure, to chime in soon?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts