StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've almost got the GPS thing figured out. MY only question is, which units let you hook up to the computer and plan your routes? I want to save a route and select it out on the road. Thanks!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Garmin Works

As you are requesting . . .I have a Garmin Zumo 550 and use Mapsource on my computer where I make all the details of my trips . . .then transfer them to my Zumo.
When I turn on my Zumo the plans are shown as "routes"
Works like a charm.

If you are on a very long ride I suggest breakin the trips into sections in case the "route" should become defective for some eason

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nuvi 500 Route Planning

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 500. I use mapquest.com (as it's free) to plan my routes and import them. I used Google's Chrome browser as when I tried Firefox and Explorer it would hang up. Don't ask how many hours it took to figure this all out...lol. If you just enter a start and end point for your trip that's all it will load into your gps. If you want a custom route you must enter each point along your route as a location and then all those points will be loaded in. Once your route is complete press send>select to gps> enter a name for your route>select your gps>send. Once the route is loaded to your gps you have to go to tools>my data>import route from file>select the route you want>import. The route will now be loaded into your Custom Routes.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I just got a Nuvi 765T for the same reason. It is an automotive GPS (i.e. not waterproof), but it does the trick for half the price of the Zumo.
Yes, it is a GPS. I have one for my car, along with a Zumo 550 and 665.

It also doesn't come with the Mapquest maps, or a MC mount, nor as mentioned is it waterproof, etc. The map is over $100 in the US. It is pre-loaded on the GPS but you need the disk to load on your computer.

OP, if you are looking at Garmin units, you need one that can save routes: for example the Nuvi 765T can save 10, the Zumos 20. It is also beneficial if they can "Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route):" so that you can create a route "on the fly" by selecting map points. Only a couple of the models are waterproof. It's helpful if it has an external speaker jack, and an MP3 player is nice-to-have.

Most of the lowest-cost Nuvis can't import routes, and can only support a route with an end point and one via point.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Zumo 660 and love it. It worked great on my trip last year and I still use it everyday. Go through garmin/ama for a much better price than anywhere else I've found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts