StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a GPS for the bike (and car) and I am leaning toward a Garmin Nuvi 550. I think it is a good compromise, and I don't need even half the features it has (bluetooth phone connect, traffic alerts, etc...). What is important to me is the ability to plug into an on-board power source (yes), waterproof (yes), and the ability to predefine a route like on my computer beforehand (unknown). Does anyone know if this is possible with this model?

Can anyone recommend a unit that allows for route creation like what I described and still be motorcycle friendly? I am not going to spend $600+ on a Garmin ZUMO so those are out.

Before I get the "try doing a search before asking a GPS question" responses, I did, and I couldn't find the answer to my questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a Nuvi 550. I usually build routes on my desktop then load to the Nuvi before the trip. I also take my Acer Netbook along and use it to rebuild routes in the evening if I need to. You can build routes on the Nuvi but I found it a bit tiresome (it never wants to take the road I want to take!). But for $200 I can live with it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Interested as well.

Does this device store tracks (so you can review where you've been)? The specs don't mention it. I know my hand-me-down 200W does not. (And I wish it did.)

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Zumo 550

I use a Zumo 550 and prefer to build my routes on the unit, instead of on a computer because then I know that it will navigate the way I want and I can very easily modify when I'm enroute. If I'm sharing with others that's a slightly different routine.
I can simply edit my route without needing my laptop even though I usually do carry a laptop for email etc.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You can download routes from multiple sources to the 550.

You shoulda been here a couple weeks ago...waterproof GPS with all the goodies for <$120. All gone now....sold out in a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts