StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short... I work in Washington DC but live in Northeastern Ohio. I travel back-and-forth on the weekends, ,about 300 miles, always by car. But I'll be on The Scooter this weekend and I absolutely DO NOT want to take my normal turnpike route through PA. I'm planning on using Route 68 West to carry me out of Maryland/Virginia and taking it across West Virginia and turning North on 79 N.

Anyone have experience with 68 West? It looks rather inviting, but hard to tell while sitting at work and trying to sneak peeks at googlemaps. The boss says I'm supposed to be working or something... :thumbdown:

Oh yeah, be safe out there this weekend. :thumbup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am in Sterling VA and have to go to Upper State NY from time to time. I have never taken my bike but I love the ride on 15. Its slower and in PA has some on and off ramps that could be in issue but it is not a three lane 70mph highway. Its nice and on a bike you will enjoy the cruves.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
I 68

68 is now an Interstate highway. I remember when it wasn't much of a road at all! While it may be the fast easy way to get where you are going, and it is a nice view most of the way, from DC area do not overlook route 33. Depending where in the DC area you are coming from you can run I-81 south to pick up route 33 at Harrisonburg. Running 33 west across the Virginia/West Virginia border takes you over some very mountainous terrain with hairpin curves and switchbacks. Good enough you may want to double back and ride the section again! Anyway, you can run 33 toward Franklin WV and it is a wonderful ride. As you head toward Elkins from Franklin the roads are about as good and still very scenic. 33 becomes Corrider H which is a very nice divided 4 lane highway that connects to Interstate 79. You can head north on 79 and pick up your original route. You would have to allow extra time compared to 68, but I'll bet you will never regret it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ridden through that area of W. VA many times and enjoy it very much. I would advise much caution on any and all of the mountain roads, as drivers like their lane and yours ! I have also ridden my Wee from VA to Upstate NY and would also recommend that you keep heading North and beyond !!! Great ride, would go again in a heartbeat !!! PRIME, if you are going to W.VA, why not head down to Boone County and meet Jesco White and his wild wounderful family ?! Have a safe ride, and my God Bless !

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Never done 68. So many good routes through WV I can't imagine taking a highway. If you want efficient travel you could take Rt 50 out of Winchester, VA. Take that to near Fairmont where you can pickup Rt 250, to go north west to Moundsville where you can cross to Ohio.

Rt 50 is just OK until you get west of Mt. Storm, then it really improves. Biggest problem with that road all the other traffic to share the road with you. Not terrible, but not an empty road. Rt 250 is very nice.

Of course if minimum time on the road is your concern then I image 68 is fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts