1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Did you ever notice water standing in the area around the filler cap? You may have had water in the tank and you may have had a kinked line, but water still has to pour into the filler for the two to be related.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you ever notice water standing in the area around the filler cap? You may have had water in the tank and you may have had a kinked line, but water still has to pour into the filler for the two to be related.
It all started as a slight drop and surge in rpms for several days on my way home. I had lots of theories (related on the provided link) about rural gas, tank condensation due to lack of use, etc. The real problems began when I started working on the bike for general maintenance, farkle addition (RichlandRick fork brace) and, as is my habit, I washed the bike beforehand. Even rougher running led to checking things and spilling seafoam on the tank that led to more rinsing. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I did get some liquid splashing out from around the filler. It all made perfect sense after talking to the mechanic.

The proof was when they drained the tank. Top half good fuel, bottom water to the point the contacts on the fuel pump were corroding, and that was after running six gallons of gas from a different station through it. They cleaned the contacts as part of the repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts