StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I know oil discussion has been beat to death. Still, I have anxiety about using Rotella synthetic 5w-40 here in Tucson, AZ., especially in the 110 degree summer and commuting. Anyone using this oil in the desert? Should I stop worrying? I would prefer Mobil 1 racing motorcycle 10-40 but it isn't readily available for any reasonable amount.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My understanding is that this oil is a 40-weight that has the cold temp properties of a 5-weight. The 5-weight being good for those moving parts at the top end of the engine looking for something to drink at start-up. Get 'er up to operating temp and that oil runs like 40-weight should.

Besides, your bike is water and oil cooled, so even in your area the radiators (water and oil) are dumping lots of heat in that air stream ripping past the bike, so I bet regardless of the outdoor temp, even in the hot stuff you're still only seeing 3 bars on the temp gauge (for the 650 anyway, and maybe 4 bars at stops in the high heat times of the day), so the oil won't know if the outdoor temp is 75 or 115.

I'd suggest also keeping your radiators clean of dirt and other contaminants. A clean heat exchanger is a happy and efficient heat exchanger.

Use it, you're fine.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Diesel engines are subjected to more stress then you will ever put on your strom and they do not have a problem with it. In answer to your question yes I run it in high ambient temps no problem quit worrying and try it. Hard to beat the price also.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
My understanding is that this oil is a 40-weight that has the cold temp properties of a 5-weight. The 5-weight being good for those moving parts at the top end of the engine looking for something to drink at start-up. Get 'er up to operating temp and that oil runs like 40-weight should.

Besides, your bike is water and oil cooled, so even in your area the radiators (water and oil) are dumping lots of heat in that air stream ripping past the bike, so I bet regardless of the outdoor temp, even in the hot stuff you're still only seeing 3 bars on the temp gauge (for the 650 anyway, and maybe 4 bars at stops in the high heat times of the day), so the oil won't know if the outdoor temp is 75 or 115.

I'd suggest also keeping your radiators clean of dirt and other contaminants. A clean heat exchanger is a happy and efficient heat exchanger.

Use it, you're fine.
What he said.:bom_bulb2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts