StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in a last ditch effort to get some of the last CI-4 Plus generation Shell Rotella T 5w/40 synthetic, I went into Walmart today thinking I was probably too late. Didn't see the gallon jugs, but there were a few quarts left. Then I looked at the lower shelf and noticed it was there in gallons, in a new look. Darker blue bottle with new labeling.

I turned it around to see the specs, and it was still CI-4 Plus, just like we've been using for the past handful of years, not the newest generation CJ-4 like the Shell 15w/40 Triple Protection non-synthetic. I grabbed the last 3 gallon jugs they had, and 3 quart bottles, too.

My guess is- fresh looking bottle waiting for the CJ-4 5w/40 to get pumped into it sometime soon. Reading this link, I don't think I'll be hanging with Rotella after the change to CJ-4 5w/40.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

Rotella 5w/40 CI-4 Plus, one of the best in the test. Rotella 15w/40 CJ-4, rated down near the bottom of the results chart.

Get it while you can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I remember picking up the new jug for my last bike before I got the strom, but I didn't know about the change to the new specification. I guess I got the old oil in the new jug anyway.

Is there going to be a problem with the new specification to where it shouldn't be used?

Also, after my first 600 mile service next week I was going to dump the shops "oil of the day" and start on Rotella dino 15w-40 until its time to switch to Rotella syn. Is there a problem with the dino Rotella??

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just put the dino in mine 2 days ago for my 600 mile change. i will swap to syn on the 3000 mile change also. plus the only place i can find around me that sells the shell is walmart and they did not have the syn even in quarts.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there going to be a problem with the new specification to where it shouldn't be used?

start on Rotella dino 15w-40 until its time to switch to Rotella syn. Is there a problem with the dino Rotella??
It's not exciting reading, and it is aimed at diesel engines, but read that link above for info on the new CJ-4 specification for the commercial grade oils. In a nut shell, the CI-4 Plus oil was the better oil of the two, the CJ-4 has additives that are bowing to the changes in the new low-sulfur diesel fuels and motor oils.

Use that chart with caution, though. Not all of those oils should be used in an engine such as a motorcycle. Gotta read that text carefully to judge it for yourself. Rotella T Syn. 5w/40 will soon be switching to the CJ-4 spec. I found that on another board, someone talked to a Shell rep and he confirmed the Rotella T syn 5/40 will be switching for the new low-sulfur req's, which meet the CJ-4 standard. Look at the donut on the back of the jug for the "C" grades.

I've got enough CI-4 Plus Rotella stocked for 4 oil changes.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put the dino in mine 2 days ago for my 600 mile change. i will swap to syn on the 3000 mile change also. plus the only place i can find around me that sells the shell is walmart and they did not have the syn even in quarts.
You can always hit a truck stop on the interstate, more sold at these places than at Walmarts, used in heavy trucks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got a jug of the Rotella T 15/40 Dino here and it claims to meet API Service CJ-4, CI4 Plus etc. I know you're talking synthetic, but if it meets both specs, what would be the disadvantage?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sulfer is an important product for gear protection. Obviously something an auto/ truck etc.. engine does not have like a motorcycle, so does not need the same percentage. EPA is mandating the lower sulfer in part to help prevent catalytic converter plugging. Removing the sulfer, wear will increase and many oil co. don't have an additive to replace it. Sometimes what mother nature makes can't be reproduced to accomplish the same effects.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
oh no, I ran the walmart Rotella syn 5w/40 for 53,000 miles on my old LC, my wife's Marauder, and was planning on using it in our new stroms... now what?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh no, I ran the walmart Rotella syn 5w/40 for 53,000 miles on my old LC, my wife's Marauder, and was planning on using it in our new stroms... now what?
Check that link I posted, within it provides an anonymous additive chart with sample identification numbers. Then find the actual product against the ID number in another chart. Find oils that are similar in makeup.

I'm no oil scientist, so I'd advise being careful with how you use that information. More is not always better, especially when an oil is designed for one purpose (commercial/diesel use) and being used in a different arena (motorcycles with wet clutches).

It's and engine, right? Yeah, but it is routinely spinning 2-4 times faster than a typical car engine and at higher power output per cc of displacement. In my mind, the inside of a motorcycle engine is a much more severe environment than inside a car engine. In my mind a motorcycle needs an oil that meets a higher level of performance and protection than a typical automobile engine would need.

My car engine spins at 2000 rpm at about 70mph. My bike is doing the same speed but at 5000-7000 rpm (depending on the gear). And the oil is getting thrashed inside the transmission, too. Not an issue in the car.

All else fails, bite the bullet and put in SG rated motorcycle oil. $$$.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I was in WalMart yesterday and they had just stocked the shelves with Rotella 5W40.....the good old stuff. I could have purchased a dozen, gallon jugs....or a case of it in the quart.

Anyway......What is the shelf life of this stuff?

Also, if it goes away.....what will you be using in your Strom?

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is always Mobil 1 MX4T synthetic (which is now called "Racing 4T" but name change only) but its EXPENSIVE. I checked Advance Auto over the weekend and its nearly 9 bucks a quart. However, since the wee takes just under 3 quarts I guess you're talking about a $40 oil change when you include a Suzuki filter. I think the vee takes a little more, which makes the 4 quart jug handy and cost effective but you get killed on the quart price.

They also had regular dino Valvoline for motorcycles - whats the word on that? Haven't heard good things about Valvoline anything but it was $3.50-ish a quart I think.

So maybe the Amsoil synthetic products might be the way to go but I haven't priced that out. There are a couple shops near me that carry it though. I don't want to start using Rotella synthetic and have to switch to something else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great, I changed my oil last night, and didn't even think to check on what the standard was on them. On a positive note, I got 3 gallon jugs for $43 at Sams. The last time I got it at Walmart, it was $22ish a gallon.

·
Banned
944 Posts
You can buy Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40 for $6.75 at Checkered Auto Parts. Works great.

I do like Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 too. I use it for break in. Good oil for the $$$, but it's now getting up to about $4.50 a quart and it really isn't a full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
+1 on the post by mistanfo - Sam's has the old CI-4+ stuff (at least mine did, last time I checked 2 weeks ago) at $43 for 3-1 gallon jugs. I've been hoarding as much as I can find - we use it in a pile of diesel equipment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts