StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this in both the West and Southwest and Texas areas.

My nephew is getting married in Dallas in a couple months...sounds like a good excuse for a ride if I can swing it. I have the required kitchen pass, and still working the time off work issue.

I have a route planned from my home in Utah to Albuquerque, then on to Roswell (got to see the aliens..) but from there to Dallas I'm at a loss.

What would be a good route to Dallas? Google says I-20, but I would rather not super slab it. Any ideas? I won't be in a hurry, but can't dilly dally a ton either... :smile2: Any 'must see' sights between Roswell and Dallas?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
The last time I was out that way, we took Highway 60 in west NM and stopped in Pie Town (Pie-o-neer Restaurant for pie), the Very Large Array (a GREAT site, but watch out for the cows :smile2:) and then Roswell. The UFO Museum opened late in the morning. That may have changed. From there we stayed on Hwy 380 to just north of Dallas. Of course, as you get closer to town, the traffic picks up.

Posting this in both the West and Southwest and Texas areas.

My nephew is getting married in Dallas in a couple months...sounds like a good excuse for a ride if I can swing it. I have the required kitchen pass, and still working the time off work issue.

I have a route planned from my home in Utah to Albuquerque, then on to Roswell (got to see the aliens..) but from there to Dallas I'm at a loss.

What would be a good route to Dallas? Google says I-20, but I would rather not super slab it. Any ideas? I won't be in a hurry, but can't dilly dally a ton either... :smile2: Any 'must see' sights between Roswell and Dallas?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last time I was out that way, we took Highway 60 in west NM and stopped in Pie Town (Pie-o-neer Restaurant for pie), the Very Large Array (a GREAT site, but watch out for the cows :smile2:) and then Roswell. The UFO Museum opened late in the morning. That may have changed. From there we stayed on Hwy 380 to just north of Dallas. Of course, as you get closer to town, the traffic picks up.
Sweet! I wasn't aware the VLA was in that neighborhood... I'll put it on the list.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
I did that years ago. Nice back roads! Some were 4 laners out in the boonies. You could go to Whichita Falls and take 44 up but there are so many little scenic by-ways no point in taking a toll road. Pie Town and the big array are interesting.
Used to be a restaurant somewhere there that had daily specials. Neat old building with high ceilings.
Rural America can make for some pleasant travels.

·
Super Moderator
4,540 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A thousand humble apologies!!
I thought since the ride would go through two different geographical locations (and sub forums) I would post in both sub forums.... trying to get input from both locales. I guess I should have changed the wording.

I doubt many Texas riders hang out in the West and Southwest sub forum.

As there had been no replies to it, your duplicate post in the Texas section has been deleted. Duplicate posts are not permitted.

See: http://www.stromtrooper.com/rules-forum-support-help-information-[not-motorcycle-related-questions]/48470-rules.html

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I did a fly & ride from Dallas to Phoenix and the polar vortex hit there just as I arrived in Dallas. Due to the foot of snow they got up in the Abilene area and sub-freezing temps I had to head south and then up through El Paso just to keep the temps around 40°, so I missed the entire Roswell area, which was on my hit list. I had planned on doing 380 to 60 into AZ. Have a great safe trip and I look forward to reading about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,540 Posts
I guess I should have changed the wording.
Changing the wording wouldn't have helped. It would still be a duplicate thread and your new (altered) one has been deleted. I did run it past the other Mods before deleting the first time.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the wording wouldn't have helped. It would still be a duplicate thread and your new (altered) one has been deleted. I did run it past the other Mods before deleting the first time.
:fineprint: Gasp!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts