StromTrooper banner
241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Are any of the successful installs 650A's?

These are my thoughts and hope someone wishes to comment with positive thought. Thanks in advance.
Yes, plenty of the A's produced between 2007 and 2016. I put the universal Rostra in my '07, and again in my '15...both are still working perfectly.

Can't help on the vacuum the Rostra does not use it.

You might be onto something with the 2017+ PPR

Others have sucessfully installed the McCruise on the '17 & up(I think)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let's see if my math skills are correct. 63,360" per mile / 79.38" (circumference 150/17-17 rear tire = 798.156 revolutions of 150/70-17 rear tire per mile. 798.156 X 50 PPR ABS (pulse per revolution) = 39,989.30 PPM (pulses per mile). (The front wheel 110/80-19 circumference is 81.46"). I assume both wheels ABS are dependent on their individual ABS sensor (I have not a manual). Which wheel does the speedometer use for VSS? Which ABS sensor, front or rear, did you use for your VSS PPM? What PPM setting did you set your Rostra to? If I'm wrong on anything above please point it out as I'm like the rest of you with a 2017+ 650A that needs active cruise. If any of you have a copy of the Gen 3 schematic (I now own a 2020 650A)I would appreciate a usable copy for research. Thanks in advance.

If the speed sensor is magnetic pickup, I assume it is with VSS being sent by wire, I have a peak and hold feature for my VOM to check magnetic pickup voltage and I'll check the voltage on the pink/white wire..

With all this above if bike supplied VSS is the problem the problem can be easily solved with a VSS generator kit such as Rostra 250-4165.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
I set mine up the same as StromChaser....

8000 PPM I think.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I set mine up the same as StromChaser....

8000 PPM I think...
I see your Wee is a 15 DL650XT which doesn't have the A after 650 to designate ABS plus Strom Chaser has a 06 DL650 and you might be using a different VSS than the A's. Without a schematic for a 2017+ 650A I can't tell where the speed sensor is but there is no speed sensor on the left side of my 2020 650A as was on my K7, only the 50 tooth ABS rotor and speed sensor on the right side. I ain't trying to reinvent the wheel because there has been great headway with the Rostra in this forum. As a matter of fact thanks for the link to Storm Chaser's schematic as I might just use the passing switch instead of the full control unit. I like it.

FYI I ordered the Rostra magnets and pickup kit to eliminate PPM and will use the LED taillight relay. If the pickup unit is small enough I'll epoxy the magnets to the rear chain sprocket studs and install the pickup unit on the swing arm. I think I wouldn't want to to disrupt ABS pulses by installing the Rostra VSS near the ABS pickup on the right side. Input?

Thanks to those who started this thread and to those that kept it going. A lot of information here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My '07 was an A and the '15 is an A...both have ABS.
Thanks, that keeps everything in perspective for what I'm trying to replicate (with few changes) on my 2020 650A, that what you and Strom Chaser did.

If you would, what wires did you use in the passing switch to tie the Rostra control head into??

I'll be pulling the plastics and tank off next week and look at the throttle body vacuum for the CCS-100 and if vacuum ooks feasible I'll be fabbing a bracket to secure the control unit to the the metal fairing stay tucking the unit under the headlights I believe there's enough room by eyeballing it. We'll see. I'd like to use the CCS-100 because I have it in hand.

I don't think I mentioned I was in contact with McCruise.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
I am not using a control head, that is the whole point of the FTP route. I hit the FTP and it sets my current speed. It still shuts off if I hit the front of rear brake & clutch. If I don't like the speed setting I just tap a brake and reset another desired speed. Once set, hitting the FTP again will give me 1-2mph reduction in set speed, another hit of the FTP turns it off. To me the control panel takes up space on the handle bars, complicates the wiring and can be a location for water intrusion(control pads have to be sealed with silicone...not made for outdoor use). You get quite good at setting the speed you want withing a day or so....KISS.

The 07 and '15 are wired differently. On the K7 I tapped into the other side of the FTP switch which disables the original function and dedicated it to the Rostra. On the '15 that did not work so I had to tap onto a leg that still allows the FTP to work which means my lights flash when I set the cruise. If it's dark and I turn on the high beams the Rostra comes on so I have to immediately cancel it. I know I tapped the wrong wire, but I was at the "eff-it point" getting ready for a 3 week trip. I fully intended to go back into the wiring and fix it but just learned to live with it....that was over 30,000 miles ago.

I can't remember which wire, but I know the wire color is different from the '07 to the '15 for the FTP, so assume it's different for the '20(do you have the wiring diagram?). If I was going to do it all over I would still skip the control panel again and install a momentary switch on a dedicated hot lead. You will already have the tupperware off, so running one wire from the battery/fuse panel is cake and no having to split the handle bar wiring loom to fish through the myriad of colors in there. I also highly recommend a relay and the use of Posi-Taps and Posi-Loc connectors. They work brilliantly and can be removed/re-used without hacking any of the wiring harness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your two bikes, 07 and 15, having ABS does indeed shed light on the VSS signal as they both have the 50 tooth reluctors and those two bikes have working Rostra's. Hmmmm?? Might not need the Rostra VSS kit and I might return it. I have an 07 service manual and it clearly shows a 50T reluctor for the 07 ABS which appears to be handed up to the later models as my 2020 has a 50T reluctor also.

I don't have a 2020 650A wiring diagram and there lies my problem. If there are any wiring changes between an 07 (I have an 07 service manual) and the 2020 I have nothing to discern the difference. Again I ask if someone has a 2017+ wiring diagram I sure could use a copy of it.

It appears you've done everything right because you have the Rostras performing the way you like. So now it's on to the LED tailight. There again our in house gurus cam up with a fix for that. That I'll try.

Great minds think alike. I was Googling waterproof miniature switches last night.

Thanks for the posi-lock recommendation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was rereading this thread in case I missed something and I did. Someone more qualified and light years ahead of me has done the research. No need for me reinventing the wheel, thanks ThatFixedIt.

We have the two wire system. Hall effect ABS sensor measurement

Any way, sorry for the thread hijack as my heart was pure in the search for a clean reliable VSS signal for the 2017+ Wee's and ThatFixedIt already FixedIt. . So I take my leave with the Rostra as I have a CCS-100 that'll I'll use and it won't need a VSS signal as it will work on a tach signal only. I'll be returning the Rostra VSS kit it appears.

What about this for a waterproof momentary switch? tinyurl.com/4zhcmveh If it's small enough one can glue it to the left hand grip in a manner where it could be reached if your not a grip squeezer. I purchased the flashlight, pressure switch and ring mount for a shotgun so I'll have first hand experience with this pressure switch.

Or they sell smaller single purpose water proof pressure switches, for flashlight and airsoft purposes, that take up less territory. https://www.amazon.com/BESTSUN-Pressure-WF-501B-Hunting-Flashlight/dp/B008RIIGX0

In both above cut off the coiled cord with flashlight fixture then hook the pressure switch to the Rostra wiring then glue it the left handgrip as an option to the flash to pass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let's start where I left off. The momentary switch on the flashlight is to big for my suggested application.

Fast forward to today. My 2020 650A has a working Rostra. Nothing big or exciting to announce but the use of the Rostra 250-4165 VSS kit is the key to my success. I mounted 4 magnets and pickup coil on the left side rear, 4 magnets 90* apart on chain sprocket with pickup coil mounted low on inside of swing arm. The reason I chose the left rear was to avoid signal interference from anything in the path of the pickup coil's wires passing from front to rear, plus I wanted no interference of ABS signal on right side. I used a single relay for LED brake disengagement but I'm still working on clutch relay disengagement. For my controls I used a CCS-100 pad which I already had and was waterproof prepped . Dip switches set @ off, off, on, off, off, off, on, off, off, off, off, off. As for as servo placement I chose the tool compartment under the seat.

But choosing the tool box under seat meant lengthening the servo cable, which I did. First thing I did with the snorkel and servo cable completely off the head unit was dimension the cable length fully extended to be used for fabrication of the new servo cable. Writing that dimension down I then cut the old servo cable and housing flush with the end of said snorkel then drilled the old cable housing out of snorkel for a tight fit of new cable housing or housing with ferrule end. I used a bicycle brake cable repair kit like I have done numerous times for motorized bicycles. https://tinyurl.com/yj29u4a8 I cut one ball off the old Rostra cable, drilled it out for new cable diameter, drilled a concave pocket for frayed cable end, install cable, fray end (e.g. birdcaging) the cable then flux and solder the ball to the new cable. If soldering with a small butane torch is your thing, it is mine, you can't go wrong with this,
Bicycle cables video

Here's video that also encompassed the basics for motorcycle cables,

There are many videos for DIY cables out there.

Reactions: larolco

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank-you for the installation info. I have been following step by step what you did.
One thing I did was to use a self drilling/tapping bolt to hold the cable bracket to the throttle body bracket instead of removing the throttle bodies to drill the hole. I simply used an power ratchet and it worked great!
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Bumper

241 - 251 of 251 Posts