StromTrooper banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,294 Posts
It is the one for cars. There are no motorcycle specific Audiovox/Rostra units. You simply adapt the car unit! I do highly recommend the electronic servo unit over the vacuum powered unit. Easier installation and probably a bit smoother operation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought the universal CC off Amazon. You have to order the switch separately, also from Amazon. If you are installing on a 2014+ DL1000, the speed signal is very weak causing the CC to have intermittent trouble or not control at all. A speed sensor kit (hall effect sensor and 4 wheel mounted magnets) installed on the rear wheel, brake side, makes it easy for the Vee2.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Where did you try wiring into the speed signal? I know using the pink/white wire between the ECM and the instrument panel works with a speedo healer or other speedometer correction device.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used the pink/white wire. It would pass the diagnostic test hand turning the rear wheel, but it fell off and quit altogether with speed. I stuck an O'scope on it and sent a copy of the signal to Rostra. It had a max voltage of about 1 volt, but was irregular shaped, more spike than square wave and had a significant bounce in the signal. Rostra said it was "marginal" and recommended the speed sensor kit. It worked like a charm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know if my experience with the speed signal is unique to my Vee, or a design "feature."

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's good to know. The speed display adjuster mods may not need as strong a signal.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I fitted a M C Cruise to my V2, it picks up the pink/white wire at the plug on the right side, at the front tank support bracket and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Rolex, was that this one from mccruise.com for $800+?

Motorcycle electronic cruise control | Motorcycle Cruise Controls

That's the one but here down under it is $1200, if you tell them you are a member here you can save 5%.

The installation was quite easy, getting it set up just the way I wanted it took a email and they called me back straight away to answer my questions.

Very helpful guys, one rides a Wee with a V2 on his wish list so they can't be bad hey.

·
Registered
409 Posts
OK, I'm trying to finish this up, but I'm struggling. I have everything wired up except the switches, and I'm trying to run through the diagnostic test by just touching the wires together, but I can't get it into diagnostic mode.

The manual says to hold the resume/accel button while you turn on the CC, so I hold the YELLOW wire against the RED/BROWN wire, while I then touch the RED wire to both of them, then release the yellow wire. The diagnostic light in the CC body gives one very quick flash, then stays on. The manual says the light should go out, then flash when you press the resume and set buttons, but mine just stays on.

Any thoughts?

The manual is unclear about how the switches are configured. I assume that the on/off button is a NO normal switch, and the set and resume buttons are NO momentary switches.

Am I misunderstanding that?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have switch 250-3592, which is described as "Open Circuit Control" and behaves like a NO switch. I think you have that right.

However, I read the schematic to mean to hold RED & YELLOW together while powering up.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have switch 250-3592, which is described as "Open Circuit Control" and behaves like a NO switch. I think you have that right.

However, I read the schematic to mean to hold RED & YELLOW together while powering up.

Right, I am holding YELLOW and RED/BROWN together, then touching the RED wire from the hot brake to the both of them, then releasing the yellow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not what I meant. Ignore BROWN/RED. Hold YELLOW & RED together while powering up. Then release them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think you'd do better to finish wiring in the switch, instead of crossing wires. I think the unit looks at all the connections, so I doubt it's an easy task to enter the troubleshooting mode like that. I ordered the 250-3593 on Amazon for about $16 and it was here in 2 days. Works great. Has a backlight to see the buttons, and a power light when cruise is on, but no engagement light. Nobody seems to get that working anyway, so I didn't want to spend the $50 or 60 for it.

I got my system all wired up a couple weeks ago, but it had been snowing a bunch, so there was no way to get it out and test it. Yesterday it was sunny and hit 50* so I took it for a short ride and all is working well. Nice setup! I think it will be handy for my upcoming trip out west in a little over a week.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks Brockie,

Got it and some others. Looks like it is working.

·
Registered
0 Posts
No deaths reported thus far from malfunctioning Rostras? ;)

Just bought an '08 650 with loooww miles (for now) and, after reading threads for hours, made the leap and bought one off Amazon as well as a control module. I might try the passing light switch, but wanted to have options as there seems to be more info on that installation.

Who's not tired of this topic and has some words of wisdom from the mountaintop?

Cut

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,294 Posts
Using the headlight switch can work as some have done it.

But I can tell you from watching over this thread and helping others that have e-mailed me that doing EXACTLY what is listed in this thread is the most likely way to get it working right on the first try!

Don't forget the Rostra/Audiovox has a self diagnosis program built in! Worth its weight in gold after you realize you tapped into the wrong wire........

·
Registered
0 Posts
I hope to have a smooth go of it. No LED taillight or any other funky stuff that I'm aware of.

The simplified writing diagram that greywolf has posted a few times is accurate? I've got a clymer manual on the way as well to double check wire colors, but if his is accurate for a gen 1 650 it should be fairly simple right?

It's a lot easier for me to have my hands on the unit and the bike apart (this will be the first "disassembly") for any of the pictures or diagrams to make sense.

Plan on taking my last road trip without cruise this weekend to camp at Turner Falls in OK. I'll most likely start the process next week in my time after work. Thought about making a complete install video as YouTube only had one for a concours that I could find.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 237 Posts