StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've received the Rostra unit from Murph's (good service as usual) and am reading and rereading the various threads. Seems there are a few wiring differences which I'll look at later.
I noticed two different dip switch settings, probably not a big deal but thought I'd check:
Thread #1/Thread #2
switch 1 both off
switch 2 on (gain set to mid)/off (gain set extra low)

switch 3 both off
switch 4 off/on
switch 5 on (pulses 10,000/mile)/off (pulses 9,650/mile)
switch 6 off/on

switch 7 on (4 cylinder high)/on (4 cylinder low)
switch 8 off/off
switch 9 on/off

switch 10 both on
switch 11 both off
switch 12 both off
Wondering what most settings are? TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ian,

I have the Rostra on my '09 ABS Wee. Here are the settings I've been using.

#1 -- off, #2 -- on, #3 -- off, #4 -- off, #5 -- on, #6 -- off, #7 -- on, #8 -- Off, #9 -- on, #10 -- on, #11 -- off, #12 -- off.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Saw this wiring diagram on a post by Brasso on VSRI in 09 but my Audiovox Switch from Murph's is different from his. He also connects the 10-amp and 4-amp fuse wires together and uses a couple of relays that I don't think I need.

I'm quoting from a good wiring write up by larolco's on this board in 08 but it's for a DL1000 and his switch wires are also different than those on my Audiovox:

I understand the red wire (with 4-amp fuse) and the violet wire from the cruise unit connect to the orange wire and black and white wire just in front of the battery. This evidently cuts the cruise when the brakes are applied.

Blue tach. wire and gray speed sensor wires connect to the brown wire with a black stripe and the pink wire with a white stripe in the large bundle in the left fairing area.

Black wires from unit and switch are grounded to the PC-8 or battery

On the Rostra, connect the BROWN wire from the cruise unit (with 10-amp inline fuse) and the WHITE wire from the switch to a switched 12V source (PC-8 ).
My Audiovox control switch doesn’t have a white wire, just a gray wire (in addition to red, green, yellow, brown and black).
Is the gray wire the one to use for power? Questioned again later in this post.
I’ll do that but run it through a switch in case of trouble.
I'll also likely ditch the 10-amp inline fuse and use a 10 or 15 in the PC-8.

The yellow wire from the switch goes to the yellow wire from the main unit (resume/accel).
The dark green wire from the switch goes to the dark green wire from the main unit (set/coast).
The brown wire from the switch goes to the red/brown wire (looks like a red wire with a black stripe?) from the main unit (brake positive).
The red wire from the switch goes to the 4 amp fused wire attached to the bike’s orange brake wire.

Wires not needed:
The blue and gray wires from the switch are not needed.
The Audiovox switch doesn’t have a blue wire, should I ignore the gray wire instead of using it as a power source?
From the main unit, you can ignore the light green wire, which is for a neutral safety switch. Unless you have an automatic transmission, this circuit is redundant.
And there are gray and black wires (paired together) that are not used here. They are for vehicles that do not have a digital speed display and require an additional magnet system to generate a digital speed signal.

Sorry to be such a PITA but it seemed much easier on my FJR in 03.
Thanks for any help/suggestions. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
269 Posts
Vegashotwheeler and I (mostly him) installed a rostra on my '06 Vee last week. There was something screwy about the wires to the break light which is not correct in the diagram. I'll pull my seat off later today and look what what we ended up doing. I think we had to tap the positive side of the break light only. Will let you know later in the day.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My handlebar control has yellow, green, brown, red, gray and black. Mine is wired as follows:
-- yellow to the yellow from the Servo module,
-- green to the green from the Servo module,
-- brown to the red/brown stripe from the Servo module,
-- red to the 4 Amp fuse and then to 12V. switched power through the Running Light in the rear brake light assembly,
-- gray connects into the brown from the Servo module which connects to the (+) 12V. switched power terminal on that circuit in my Auxillary Fuse Box.
-- black to the black from the Servo module and then to the (-) side on that circuit in my Auxillary Fuse Box.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Vegashotwheeler and I (mostly him) installed a rostra on my '06 Vee last week. There was something screwy about the wires to the break light which is not correct in the diagram. I'll pull my seat off later today and look what what we ended up doing. I think we had to tap the positive side of the brake light only. Will let you know later in the day.
The purple wire taps to the positive side of the brake light circuit. Nothing taps to the negative side of the brake light circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts