StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I performed the installation of the Rostra Electronic CC and it went amazingly well and I thank everyone involved who assisted in this. It was installed on my DL650K9. The kit includes:

- Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise Control Kit
- Rostra 3592 Lighted Dash Switch + Relay

The install was time consuming, but came together nicely in the end.

I used the Wiring Diagram from here (follow it verbatim):

https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/38864-rostra-cc-wiring-diagram-dipswitch-settings-dl650.html

I used the Dipswitch Settings listed here:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/283440-post3.html

I used a connection to the throttle bodies as shown here:

Throttle Connection: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8644.msg102889.html#msg102889

The whole system works 99%. The clutch and brakes disengage as expected. All four buttons on the keypad function as they should. When hitting the SET button the engaged light illuminates, there is no need to drop speed a mph or two, it simply takes over exactly where I am on the throttle. Nice! I was able to set the CC down to 35MPH and it did hunt for a moment but then settled down.

Everything seems great but one small issue.

I have the control pad with the ON and ENGAGED light. Both lights work as expected! The only oddity is that if the CC system is off while the bike is running/riding and you pull in the clutch, it turns the CC system on. And that is the only issue.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I performed the installation of the Rostra Electronic CC and it went amazingly well and I thank everyone involved who assisted in this. It was installed on my DL650K9. The kit includes:

I used the Wiring Diagram from here (follow it verbatim):

https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/38864-rostra-cc-wiring-diagram-dipswitch-settings-dl650.html

I used the Dipswitch Settings listed here:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/283440-post3.html

I used a connection to the throttle bodies as shown here:

Throttle Connection: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8644.msg102889.html#msg102889

The whole system works 99%. The clutch and brakes disengage as expected. All four buttons on the keypad function as they should. When hitting the SET button the engaged light illuminates, there is no need to drop speed a mph or two, it simply takes over exactly where I am on the throttle. Nice! I was able to set the CC down to 35MPH and it did hunt for a moment but then settled down.

Everything seems great but one small issue.

I have the control pad with the ON and ENGAGED light. Both lights work as expected! The only oddity is that if the CC system is off while the bike is running/riding and you pull in the clutch, it turns the CC system on. And that is the only issue.
Might want to recheck as mine never turns on by itself. It's not supposed to do that.....ever

That being said take a look to the upper right of your screen. Greywolf is the guy that came up with this for the V-Strom

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might want to recheck as mine never turns on by itself. It's not supposed to do that.....ever

That being said take a look to the upper right of your screen. Greywolf is the guy that came up with this for the V-Strom
I am very familiar with Greywolf. I was on these forums heavily starting back in 09'. He was the consummate V-Strommer. He will definitely be missed.

Besides + and - there are only four connections to the bike. If I had to take a stab at why it comes on with clutch pull it may be the connections to the brake/clutch relay; 86 and 87a reversed maybe?

85 = 12v
87 = 12v
86 = Black/Yellow
87a = White/Black
30 = CC Module (Purple)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I am very familiar with Greywolf. I was on these forums heavily starting back in 09'. He was the consummate V-Strommer. He will definitely be missed.

Besides + and - there are only four connections to the bike. If I had to take a stab at why it comes on with clutch pull it may be the connections to the brake/clutch relay; 86 and 87a reversed maybe?

85 = 12v
87 = 12v
86 = Black/Yellow
87a = White/Black
30 = CC Module (Purple)
Newer units have an issue with clutch disengagement. Tacoma's have a clutch disengage switch and you have to take the blue wire from the unit and ground it. Since the unit works otherwise I doubt it's that wiring

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/installation-of-rostra-cruise-control-on-a-2003-tacoma.388098/

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Do you mean turns on the system/keypad, or actually engages the CC? I agree, something is not right but if it just powers up the system I really don't see an issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean turns on the system/keypad, or actually engages the CC? I agree, something is not right but if it just powers up the system I really don't see an issue.

The clutch turns on the CC system if it's off. Odd but it does. The clutch also disengages the system as it's supposed to, as well as the brake. Puzzling but not a huge issue for me. It saves me a button press when riding.

All things considered, after riding some more, this is one of the best farkles I have done. And I've farkled my 09 Wee!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Not having an issue with clutch "disengagement". It disengages as it should.
Yes it disengages as it should, which is why I said it’s probably wired correctly to the switch. And it works on the Tacoma except for the fact the Tacoma has a separate switch for full clutch disengagement.

I am simply saying maybe your unit is seeing your pull of the clutch when it’s off as the same effect as the clutch disengagement switch.

Remember it’s supposed to be on a car

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it disengages as it should, which is why I said it’s probably wired correctly to the switch. And it works on the Tacoma except for the fact the Tacoma has a separate switch for full clutch disengagement.

I am simply saying maybe your unit is seeing your pull of the clutch when it’s off as the same effect as the clutch disengagement switch.
I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. There is no danger here. It has absolutely no affect the S/C or R/A operations

Remember it’s supposed to be on a car
Exactly. That it works this good at all... amazing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm starting to look at installing the Rostra, have plastic and the tank off, but I just realized that the Wee uses a push-pull throttle cable setup. Doesn't that mean that while the cruise is engaged and adjusting the speed, that the throttle on the handle bar will move? I'm not sure how to handle that. Do those of you with the Rostra notice this, or do you just not have your hand on the throttle when the cruise is engaged?

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
The handle moves, but it is a natural sort of feel. Make sure you start with the gain set low or you could be in for a surprise. Should be a smooth roll on and transition to increase or decrease speed. If you find it to slow to respond you can adjust. Also watch for slack in the wire. A little is good. None or too much cause problems. Read all you can here and on ADV forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts

Where did you wind up mounting the control box? If I put it under the seat at the rear (where the charcoal canister goes, which my bike doesn't have), the control cable isn't quite long enough to reach the throttle body.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
I don't know if it will reach from the rear compartment. Mine is in the forward one right behind the battery and loops around then pulls the throttle forward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw another post where the person connected to the same pulley that the throttle cable connects to. I think I'm going to go that route, even though it looks like it's going to be tough to get in there, but I think it will be the best way to handle it. I can't post with links, but if you search for "Looking for first hand experiences with Rostra Cruise" you'll find the thread that contains how to position the Rostra's cable to connect it to the pulley.

Whatever route I take, I'll take pictures and post it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you wind up mounting the control box? If I put it under the seat at the rear (where the charcoal canister goes, which my bike doesn't have), the control cable isn't quite long enough to reach the throttle body.

Thanks.
I should have included this link in my original post. It combines the mounting location used by RuggyBuggy along with the throttle connections made by johnofchar...

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/37860-rostra-cruise-control-fairing.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw another post where the person connected to the same pulley that the throttle cable connects to. I think I'm going to go that route, even though it looks like it's going to be tough to get in there, but I think it will be the best way to handle it. I can't post with links, but if you search for "Looking for first hand experiences with Rostra Cruise" you'll find the thread that contains how to position the Rostra's cable to connect it to the pulley.

Whatever route I take, I'll take pictures and post it.
See this post. It shows you everything.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/37860-rostra-cruise-control-fairing.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update: I got everything hooked up, and took it for a test ride. I was only able to test it on my local roads, around 35 MPH, and it's really not working well. It will grab, speed up, over shoot, then shut down, under shoot, and then speed up hard again, etc. I don't know if this is just because I'm trying to use it at a relatively slow speed, or if there's something I can adjust. I tried a few different settings for the gain, etc., nothing seemed to make much of a difference. The only bike I rode that had a cruise was my old Cavalcade, and that system worked spot on regardless of the speed.

Any thoughts out there? I'm truly perplexed by the whole pulses per mile/km setting. It's not quite clear where/how that's used :confused:

(Once I have it all done, I'll post pictures)

Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Too much slack in the cable that connects to the throttle is my suspicion. You may wish to lower the gain also if it is jerky. You can always add more later...best to start off with less gain=slower response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too much slack in the cable that connects to the throttle is my suspicion. You may wish to lower the gain also if it is jerky. You can always add more later...best to start off with less gain=slower response.
I'm pretty sure I didn't leave much, if any slack, but I'll double check it tomorrow. I'll also play with the gain and other settings and see what happens.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts