StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my front and rear tire changed (to mich anakee twos) by a shop (not a dealer) and after 2500 miles I noticed some irregular wear patterns on the front tire...only to find out the tire was mounted wrong...directional arrow moving the wrong way...will placing the tire in its correct mounting reverse the unusual wear (cupping) or is the tire doomed and what about the shop's liability to fix the problem?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
k moore ... could this tire be structurally damaged...risk of failure, etc.
Yes, it could be. The directional arrows are mostly there because the tread pattern is intended to face either forward or backwards. But - you've seen serious wear issues in only 2,500 miles, which is pretty dramatic for a front. That tells me the belts are being stressed and letting the tread squirm and preventing good contact.

Who wants to ride around on a questionable tire? And why should you pay because a "professional" didn't bother to notice the big arrow on the tire?

Maybe if they want you to pay a SMALL pro-rate fee for the miles, or cover a small part of the replacement, that would be acceptable. But where I buy tires they'd cover the replacement, no questions asked.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I used to work with a guy who was really lazy but got good results out of the mechanical repair contractors he hired. His motto was, "You get what you inspect, not what you expect."

Try telephoning Michelin. Or, better yet, write or email so you have a written resonse. Ask them about the results of mounting the tire the wrong direction. Take their response to the installing shop, and use it to justify your demands for a new tire if Michelin says that the direction relates to wear (not just wet braking or such). It would be fair to have you pay 1/4 or 1/3 the cost of a new tire, 'cuz you got this much good service from the tire.
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=contact.us

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
As I recall, and I could be wrong, the front WHEEL has an arrow cast into it to show direction of rotation. Also, as I recall, unless it's an ABS wheel it can be mounted backwards. So the question is, is the tire mounted backwards or the wheel installed backwards? And who installed the wheel?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the shop installed tire and wheel...i will have to check for directional arrow on wheel....being spatially challenged...is it possible the tire is right, but the wheel mounted wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts