StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I went up to ride in the Georgia mountains last weekend. Got pushed off course a bit by some rain and ended up going through Monticello. We used to pass through there often when we lived in Georgia and were always amused by the Bearlax sign (circa 1906). We were happy to see the sign was in good shape as the folks in Monticello keep it well maintained.

Many folks in the middle part of Georgia used to eat 'white dirt' or the Kaolin clay found and mined there. Some still do. Kaolin .. Think Keopectate. Can bind you up pretty severly. I guess Bearlax was the antidote. The bear looks constipated to me. The dogwoods, azaleas and redbuds were spectacular north of the gnat line (roughly Perry) and were an added treat. Had a spectacular day in the mountains. didn't see but a couple of cars.

From Ocklawaha, if you leave early, you can be in the mountains by days end.

·
Registered
657 Posts
A picture worth 1000 words :hurray:

The Gnat Line? For real, or another "Dixie tale" told to us northerners?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Gnat Line - An imaginary line dividing coastal areas from more inland areas in certain southern states in the U.S., especially the Carolinas and Georgia. The term comes from the abundance of gnats in coastal marshlands and swamps in these states and the relative lack of the insects in the inland regions.

Some examples : I’m not from the piedmont. I’m just east of the gnat line.The city has grown so big, it’s like everything north of the gnat line is considered metro Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
the return of oldstrom

John, So good that you are able to ride with and keep Melodie out of trouble again! Perhaps with you along she will stop crashing into buzzards and dogs (or they will stop crashing into her).
Rick and I are heading to NC on May 5 and stay for a week in Burnsville. If you guys can join us let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts