StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....really, really smooth. I guess for $20k....that's what you get though.

HUGE torque down low, and amazing throttle response, instantly off-idle. Took it on a short trail section and was impressed by how solid it felt going over rocks and holes. Zero rattling or noises of any type.

I still love my Strom and have no regrets though. I think I've got $4,500 in it, including the PCIII. How do you beat that? I'll put the $16k savings in the bank. Now....if you have money to burn....it's a different story.:green_lol:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I rode it too.

Smooth?!? :confused:

I had an old FIAT tractor that was smoother.

Ride a Triumph Tiger 1050, then you appreciate smoothness.

It is a over hyped, over complicated and engineered (like most German products) and expensive bike.

Zero rattling?? The whole bike shakes when you turn it on, and I didn't like the throttle response at all.

Just wanted to go back to my trusty V-Strom.

Only this weekend, riding behind my buddy (him on his GSA), I smelled a very bad stench coming out of his exhaust every time he opened the throttle..
He smelled that too and is going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my buddies has an 1150GSA....and it does rattle and shake when you crank it up....and it is a bit like a tractor. But, this brand new (100 miles on it) 1200 GSA was a different beast than the 1150GSA I'm used to. Maybe it just needs time? Anyway, I just loved the throttle response and torque. So much so, I just created a new fuel map for my PCIII, that throws way more fuel, but only 1200-2500 RPM and <10% throttle. I'd love to duplicate that low-end "snap"...at least a little bit. I'll download to the bike today and see how it works.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
My experience with the GSA is the same as Max. Very smooth, no rattles, bags of torque.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I wish it was funny..
My sympathys ... but they do always smell like something dead due to taking a bath once a month whether they need it or not.

... Rich says the damndest things. He makes me :green_lol: .... my apologies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
One of my buddies has an 1150GSA....and it does rattle and shake when you crank it up....and it is a bit like a tractor. But, this brand new (100 miles on it) 1200 GSA was a different beast than the 1150GSA I'm used to. Maybe it just needs time? Anyway, I just loved the throttle response and torque.
After living with a BMW boxer for 30 yrs one thing I'd comment on about smoothness, they are super sensitive to TB/carb balancing. I mean SUPER sensitive. Get them balanced right and they are smooth, when the sync is off they shake pretty bad, and it doesn't take all that much. The problem is they are a twin cable system, not a mechanical linkage, so it doesn't take too much change in the cables to make the sync off.

So much so, I just created a new fuel map for my PCIII, that throws way more fuel, but only 1200-2500 RPM and <10% throttle. I'd love to duplicate that low-end "snap"...at least a little bit. I'll download to the bike today and see how it works.
Be careful about dumping in more fuel to get snappy response. Usually more fuel will make it smoother but not snappier. I find that often a setting just "slightly" leaner in the low rpm/throttle opening ranges makes it more snappy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I test rode a demo GSA last summer... :thumbdown:

Try going 70MPH and then accelerate to 90MPH, for passing, for example. My Nissan Altima is faster.

Try doing 0-60MPH race on GSA, even a DR650 beats in in no breath.

Stop at intersection on a calm day, you feel like you're on a bicycle on a windy day. Give it a little throttle and it's hurricane.

Listen to that exhaust on the left, I though I had a Harley passing me.

Brakes good though, they were like :headbang:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm sure the GS's and GSA's are great bikes. The interesting thing is that we compare them with a 650cc budget machine that originally cost $6400 (like mine). The only reason we continue to have this conversation is because the DL650 is such a good bike for the money.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
No the reason we have this "discussion" is its human nature to want to believe that every decision you make is the correct and best one possible.

I see and talk to lots of GS riders. I have yet to hear from one...except here....that have any significant complaints. I doubt BMWs are as bad as we perceive. These satisfied customers range from peolple who really stretched finacially to buy one to others to whom the cost is meaningless.

I have spent a fair amount of time on my brothers 1150 GSA. There is a lot good going for it.

But what do I know, I still love my harley. I suspect the majority here would buy a BMW over a Harley anyway. The road is long enough to let BMW share it with us.

·
Registered
808 Posts
For some reason this board tends to be vicious about any non-Stroms... well, mostly, any non-Japanese bike.

Everyone insists on telling you how horrible it will be if you switch to any other brand, insist on mocking you if you've ever bought another brand, and so on.

*shrug* some people just have to be right, I guess.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
For some reason this board tends to be vicious about any non-Stroms... well, mostly, any non-Japanese bike.

Everyone insists on telling you how horrible it will be if you switch to any other brand, insist on mocking you if you've ever bought another brand, and so on.

*shrug* some people just have to be right, I guess.
I'm not everyone - I clearly stated here and in previous threads how deeply excited I feel about Triumph products, Tigers in particular, and I rode them.
Triumphs are not Japanese, last I checked, and being a blind fan boy is the last thing one can attribute to me - criticism is a healthy practice.
If I ever move from a V-Strom it will most probably be a Triumph.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sure the GS's and GSA's are great bikes. The inter
PHP:
esting thing is that we compare them with a 650cc budget machine that originally cost $6400 (like mine). The only reason we continue to have this conversation is because the DL650 is such a good bike for the money.
He-e-y.... We're in DL1000 section here...

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
I will take a new Tiger 1200!!!!!!!:yesnod:

·
Registered
600 Posts
No the reason we have this "discussion" is its human nature to want to believe that every decision you make is the correct and best one possible.
Sorry, but I believe the reason we continue to have this discussion is that the DL650 is a damn good bike. If it wasn't why would we be comparing it to GS or GSA? Its got nothing to do with being "right", or with dissing the BMW. The bikes really aren't equivalent or in the same class. Yet the comparisons continue.

If I was buying into the large displacement class it would probably be an S10 or Tiger 1200.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't really see the need to knock other brands. I think comparison is natural and healthy, I'm not brand blind. A few fun "jabs" are OK, but not outright slamming of other brands.

I've owned several brands and still have 3 different ones in the stable. I currently own 2 Suzukis and have had others. I'm a bit partial because I've had good experiences with all of them.

Will I buy a Suzuki next time? It depends on what they are offering and what else is out there. At the moment, probably not because I see better offerings from other companies, at least for what I'm interested in.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the Triumph Explorer 1200 and Honda Crosstour hit the market. Things are really heating up in the big ADV bike market and it's a good thing. I think it's a shame Kawi isn't bringing their Versys 1000 to the States. I'm not sure I'd buy it but having another option is always good for the category.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts