StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow, a scorcher in the outback, but i had fun. swilled a couple of quarts of water. moderate amount of other riders was also oot and aboot. pleasant onshore breeze along the beach.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Yesterday I put in 865 miles. Across the New Mexico border the temps on the display were 102-104 much of the way.

I would have been dead by now if I didn't have my cooling system! I was stopped near Roswell in traffic for road construction for about 1/2 hour. Try that in full gear on black asphalt! When I get back from this trip into Montana I am going to do a product review of my hybrid Veskimo system.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I had to stop on Hwy 50 in Nevada once for construction. I was riding my R80/7 with a side car and just put up my big umbrella and poured a goblet of water from a 5 gallon ballast container and enjoyed the delay.
Be prepared, Scout!
The was a feller on Parhump that stared the 3D ride. Temps over 100, at speeds over 100 at elevations under 100 feet.
Not for the weak of heart or those with qualms.
I think he probably gone now. But I remember him fondly.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Last month I did 620 miles out up 191 through Morenci into Show Low and back through Globe to home and it was 95-114° the entire way. I stopped and soaked myself a few times during Gatorade stops. Tomorrow I'll prolly do 300+ miles back here in Boston in 90°+ and 40%+ humidity. Got the cooling vest soaking in ice water in the fridge overnight. And folks question about riding in rain, which would feel great! LOL! I fart in your general direction! Be safe!

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
back in '09 when I did my bbg ride from NH to MO, the next day, I rode arouns southwest MO, OK, AR,TX and into LA, a 600 mile day, temps were hovering around 106, nearly 20° higher than anything I normally see at home in northern New England

a wet t-shirt works well for AC

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys are far tougher'n i am, fer shur!

200 miles a day in ideal conditions is about my limit. maybe 300...once a decade....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Last month I did 620 miles out up 191 through Morenci into Show Low and back through Globe to home and it was 95-114° the entire way.
IMHO, riding the Devil's Highway (191) and going through Salt River Canyon (77) are, far and away, the best rides Arizona has to offer. 100+ miles of super tight twisties in the middle of nowhere (hwy 191) is more grueling that most might imagine. Doing so in the summer heat should earn you an Iron Butt award. I prefer the April/May and September/October timeframes for that ride, but I usually have to use the electric jacket liner when I'm at altitude. Glad you experienced the best of what AZ has to offer.

SteveinSD, no doubt riding in the heat sucks, but when it's dry you can get downright chilled (for 20-30 minutes anyway) riding in 110 degrees if you soak your inner clothing and helmet liner with water. I don't love having to ride in extreme heat, but it's at least doable...

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
a simple day ride that takes you to the coast is hardly worth griping about.
Tell me about your mega hundred mile 100+ degree day!
America is in a heat wave. go for a ride of epic value and report back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Really, San Diego to the coast:surprise:

I was born in Lynwood, CA and lived there until 1999 when we moved to SW Missouri. I just turned 69 years old and wish I had the opportunity to cruise HWY 1 and 101 all the way from National City to Crescent city as I'd done many times before, where I went from 100 degrees to 40 on the coast right below Brookings, Oregon, all in the same couple of days!

There is a MAJOR difference in areas of low to no Humidity versus areas where it is ever present!

We are in a heat wave thing here now in SW Missouri as is the entire heartland and this makes riding for pleasure a chore instead of fun. The temperature will get to you much more in humidity as I'm sure our fellow riders that put up with it can tell you.

I went for a 111.2 mile ride yesterday morning, in SE Kansas, in 95 degree heat, with high humidity and extremely BRIGHT sunlight and it got to me a little, until a big plate of Eggs, Sausage, Hash browns, Wheat Toast and prodigious amounts of iced tea brought me back to life and then the 40 additional miles back home didn't seem too bad.

Hydrate-hydrate-hydrate!!

Sam:wink2:

·
Registered
168 Posts
91 degrees and 90% humidity, went for a 25 mile off pavement loop out my front door, 50, 50 mix forestry roads and ATV trails. Trying out my new Scorpion exo at950 helmet, new Sliders mesh jacket and new Shinko 804, 805 tires. Everything worked great but Damn, it was a sweaty ride. Did back to back 450, 500 mile days in 103 and 104 degrees earlier this summer.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i forgot to say that it's humid here, MUCH more often than it used to be. while i may raise my eyebrows at the climate change debacle, i gotta admit that 50 years ago it was much more comfortable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I remember as a kid, going from Paramount, CA, where we lived to Phoenix, AZ, right in the heat of summer, when it was 110+ degrees every day! Funny though, a person could feel under their arms and there was no sweat at all due to no humidity! I've been in Lake Havasu, AZ when it was over 120 and rode to Oatman during the Laughlin River run rally and it was hot but comfortable!

Ride in TN, lower Arkansas or Alabama in the heat of summer and prepare to roast!

I used to sit in the shade of my Motorhomes canopy, right on the beach at Camp Pendleton, in Oceanside, CA and when I felt warm, just stroll right into the Pacific and 'bodysurf' till cooled off. Man I miss that!

Be careful riding in the heat. A woman passenger/ girlfriend of my riding bud got a very bad case of heat stroke, as we were close to completing a 115 degree ride from Klamath, Oregon to Bakersfield, CA and when we stopped for gas, she wandered off and became incoherent and lethargic and scared us to death! She was okay after we got her into a cool motel room, with a swim in the pool and lots of cold liquids. My friend and I were just fine, although hot on the ride.

Sam:)

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Raising your eyebrow at climate change but you notice it's hotter now than back when?
I just turn on the AC. Arching one's eyebrow is hardly going to have a cooling affect.
May I suggest a new set of misters for the patio?
Which reminds me gotta go check Home Depot for some today. Old ones are old and leak all over the place. Can't waste water during a drought.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just came back from a 6700 mile trip- Atlanta, Sioux Falls, Portland OR, LAX , Florida to ATL. I had temps from 46 to 112. Three hours of 100-109 temps and one hour of 110-112 on the leg from LA heading east. From Sacramento to LA it was all 100 deg or so.

In the non humid areas a cool undershirt/vest with vents open on the jacket feels like 70 deg. In the humid area, its mesh and heat. I use a camel back and an extra footpeg mounted water jug for hydration

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did a trip in June from my home in Seabeck WA to Taos NM, San Diego and back home. Phoenix to Yuma was a scorcher. It was 107 in Yuma when I gave up and checked into a motel.
https://share.delorme.com/DonaldErickson

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Im

a simple day ride that takes you to the coast is hardly worth griping about.
Tell me about your mega hundred mile 100+ degree day!
America is in a heat wave. go for a ride of epic value and report back.
In 2011 I did a 10 day, 6,000+ mile ride from the Toronto area to Ohio, then off to Colorado, Four Corners, south side of Grand Canyon, Sedona, Death Valley, north side of Grand Canyon including Bryce, then up to Utah. I got get-home-itis and headed home doing 3,200 km or about 2,000 miles in 2.5 days. Much of it was in temperatures around 100 with the hottest being Death Valley at 126f.

(That was on the way into the valley, it hit 126 a bit later while riding.)

I learned how important hydrating is and that drinking water alone is not hydrating.

..Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts