StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my Vee for over a year. At moderate speeds I have always heard an unpleasant roaring noise that seems to be produced from a location lower than the windscreen. It sounds kind of like the sucking noise of a vacuum cleaner crevice tool. I cease to hear it at speeds exceeding roughly 50mph, possibly merely masked by the increasing wind turbulence about my helmet. Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a remedy?

·
Registered
237 Posts
MMM, Ear plugs are your friend. I suspect what you're hearing are the cam gears. Honestly, the Vee makes a lot of different noises.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've heard people say V-stroms suck, but this is a bit much.:biggrinjester:

Could it be a dirty air filter? That would be right under the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I notice a lot of noise coming from the front wheel as it impacts the ground. It echos through the handlebar gap and is quite annoying. I believe ear plugs are the solution, or a quieter helmet.

I never noticed this sound with my old cruiser as it didn't have a faring, but it is really noticeable with this bike. It's like an echo chamber there.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Always difficult to diagnose or give opinions on a noise that we can't hear...but I believe from your description you are hearing the roar of the wind travelling under the bottom of the windshield at the front bottom edge and up and behind the windshield. It's designed to prevent a vacuum forming around the instruments and in front of you at speed. This is supposed to give you a smoother ride. How loud the sucking noise is may depend on the position you have your windshield fixed at. If it's low down it may be louder, or conversley it may be more loud if the screen is adjusted higher up.

Of course this may not be the noise at all but I tend to think it is as I have a similar noise that behaves in the way your noise does. You soon get used to it or you go deaf and it doesn't matter any more!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I would first suspect your helmet

Don't worry about a noise unless it sounds like a ball peen on an anvil

Ride enjoy repeat

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mountainmeterman, did you look behind the instrument panel, at the base of the windshield? Some models come equipped with the Suzuki portable/cordless vacuum cleaner, while others don't. Based on your description, it seems to me you have one of the bikes that come with the vacuum cleaner and the crevice tool which is tucked away above the headlight assembly. You have four choices. You can remove the battery from the vacuum cleaner, leave the battery in place but remove the crevice tool, remove the battery and the crevice tool altogether, or keep the battery in place and replace the crevice tool with the brush tool. Good luck!
Well I'll be damned! Sure enough! I would have never thought to look for anything like that. Would anyone like to purchase an on-board vacuum cleaner?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mine makes a slight roaring sound when I'm slowing down. It threw mwe at first until I realized it was the Metzeler Tourance tire that was the culprit. First motorcycle that I've owned with this type of tire.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
I have owned my Vee for over a year. At moderate speeds I have always heard an unpleasant roaring noise that seems to be produced from a location lower than the windscreen. It sounds kind of like the sucking noise of a vacuum cleaner crevice tool. I cease to hear it at speeds exceeding roughly 50mph, possibly merely masked by the increasing wind turbulence about my helmet. Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a remedy?

I suspect it's a resonance in the airflow running thru the faring, at least if its the same noise I hear between 40 and 50mph

fwiw, I can only hear the noise if I'm not wearin my helmet

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I took off my snorkel

Mine sounds like an angry goose

or a vacuum with COPD

Actually that must be a bogus statistic. I like the idea that it is basically the same if you fall like 4 feet on to your head. New studies about permanent reduced capacity from relative minor concussions should scare the pee out of you.

Gary Busey for President

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What an idiotic statement!
I would have used the term assinine...... :confused:

I suspect karma will repay him for wishing death on another....

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Life hasn't been good lately

First invaded by Bostonites who's motto is live for a hand out and the other in someone elses pants

The their God old man of the mountain falls down

If they were smart they'ld blow the bridges over the Merrimac

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Shameful Admission

I found the problem today, right after swapping from my winter snowmobile face shield to my summer face shield. I am embarrassed to admit that the source of the noise was my snowmobile face shield all along. Still, you can't beat it for eliminating shield fog in the winter, due to the double pane construction. My current helmet is an HJC FS-15 carbon, and I will now insist that my future helmets have the option of a snowmobile face shield that fits.

During my ride today I also became very pleased with the sum of the incremental improvements I have made in wind management, thanks to the madstad, the givi screen, tuono mirrors, and now a normal face shield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts