StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The specific case at hand involves an SV, but I think the issue is equally relevant to the V-Strom. I hope I'm not violating any forum rules...

Yesterday, I came upon a couple guys who had pulled their bikes over to the side of the road. I stopped to see if they were having a problem. They couldn't get one of the bikes, an SV, to start after a tip-over. It wouldn't crank. (Eventually, we got it going by push-starting it.) I ran through the checklist of possible causes I was familiar with, but maybe I missed something. Besides the following, what should I have checked?

Plug below the clutch lever: It was connected. We unplugged and reconnected it to make sure.
Kill switch: Verified it was in the "run" position.
Kickstand: Put it in the "up" position before attempting to crank.
Tip-over switch: Cycled the ignition switch to the "off" then "on" position to reset it.

Must have missed something...

Ideas?

·
Registered
22,323 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
If the bike started after a push start, the sidestand switch, kill switch, and tip-over sensor must be OK. So, the clutch switch circuit or the starter button itself?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

A reminder for V-Strom riders reading this and thinking they can avoid a similar problem by permanently shorting the circuit through the clutch lever switch--don't do it. I've read elsewhere on this forum that the computer that controls the Strom engine is sensitive to the position of the clutch switch and the bike won't run right if the switch is permanently shorted. I don't know if the same is true for the SV.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The only Stroms that seem to have trouble when the clutch switch leads are jumpered are 2007 and later 650s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts