StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you from V-Curious. From what I've learned so far, it's not common for wee-stroms to have roadside breakdowns or problems, (the kind that would prevent you from continuing a trip.) But for those of you that have had them, I'm curious in the following:

1) what was the nature of the breakdown/problem/issue

2) was it something you took care of yourself roadside, and if so what did it involve as far as tools/time/knowledge/resources/etc.

3) Or did you have to involve others such as towtruck, the dealer in the next town, a forum member with a pickup truck, etc.

I am mostly interested in problems that happened out of town, further than your circle of friends might typically be available to call for help/ride home/etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The Clutch handle on my 1000 broke last week on the way home, the portion that holds the actuating plunger for the hydraulic clutch just wore out and broke away, leaving the lever still in place, but unable to depress the hydraulic plunger on the clutch Master Cylinder.
I was able to get the bike a long way without the clutch, but I eventually had to use my trailer to get it the rest of the way home.
Waiting for a new Clutch lever, I have drilled a hole through what is left of the lever, inserted a metal pin bent at a right angle to the plunger and used a portion of a tent peg (the skinny smooth wire type) as my actuation plunger until the new lever arrives...

it is ugly but effective

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I had the two bolts holding the clutch actuator mechanism work loose on a trip to Minnesota. I fixed it using the bike's tool kit. If I hadn't replaced the case bolts with hex socket head types and had the original cap screws on, I would have needed the socket set I always carry to get access. That and buying a new tire from a place that accepted wheels but not bikes was my total on tour maintenance for 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I've had my charging system fail 3 times

first time I was scoping out and "adventure" ride in northern New Hampshire about 100 miles from home and about 8 miles away from remote civilization on a forest service road. luckily I had a hicup that got my attention to look at the voltmeter. I got to the top of a fairly steep downhill section and stopped the bike, checked battery connections, unplugged my headlights, and coasted down the hill to start the bike, at first I thought it might come back, but it's cause I was on a mostly downhill, the voltage would actualy climb, slowly from 12.3 back up to 12.8 (but not the normal 13.8) every time I had to get on the throttle it would drop, the more throttle the faster it would drop, I made it back to civilization and the highway, anything over 3500rpm would suck the voltage down and spudder (fuel pump pressure?) I made it 60 miles to the beginning of a long uphill off ramp and started pushing 1 mile later with plenty of traffic, guy & his wife on a harley stopped and asked if I needed gas, I said, no, I need a charging system, he was a christian biker preacher on his way home from a sunday sermon, he said "wait here, I'll be back in a half hour with a trailer :hurray:

second failure I was riding to my son's house, it failed about 300 feet from his driveway, smooth, level, paved push

third time I was on my way home from a late evening meeting, I got a little warning, unplugged one headlight made it another 5 miles, still had to push about 2 miles, again to my son's house

I don't need no steenkin cell phone

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
With over 125,000 miles on my 06 DL650, I have been fortunate in that nothing on the road has stopped me from riding on.

I did have a crash that broke my clutch lever and therefore meant I could neither start normally as the interlock switch couldn't be worked nor bump start as it just doesn't work to b ump start without a clutch. Hot wiring the swtich with a piece of wire go it going and I rode home without a clutch.

I also had the starter switch get corroded. BUmp starting worked fine in that case (I recommend third gear.)

I had three flat tires (nails) but my plug kit and air pump fixed that.

If I did have something major I would call CAA as they have motorcycle flat-bedding if needed.

..Tom

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Don't know if it qualifies, but I had a bad flat about 25 miles from home. RideOn didn't work. A local with an air pump get me to a nearby convenience store, where their last can of fix-a-flat did the trick and got me home where I plugged it. I now carry a 12v pump and a plug kit and use Ultraseal.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I discovered the limits of the charging system on a November group ride in 2005 or 2006. Pulled over to regroup and the bike wouldn't start. Three or four folks from here pushed and we bump started the bike.

I've been carrying some of the weetle jumper cables from aerostich ever since. Also installed a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Snapped the shift lever on a gravel nap one time. Small pair of vice-grips saved the day. :yesnod:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've not had a road failure on my '09 Wee in 21+K miles (two years). However, I have had road failures on other bikes that I owned at the time.

A couple of flat tires on a K75 -- fixed with a plug and the compressor that I normally carry.

Then there was the rear drive failure on my K1100LT on the way to a rally near Venice, FL. Fortunately, I was close to Sarasota. I made a call to Beemer dealer. They towed me in and repaired the RD. I was on the road in 24 Hours, and $1K poorer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
charging system

I discovered the limits of the charging system on a November group ride in 2005 or 2006. Pulled over to regroup and the bike wouldn't start. Three or four folks from here pushed and we bump started the bike.

I've been carrying some of the weetle jumper cables from aerostich ever since. Also installed a voltmeter.
tmcgee,

Did you discover the cause of the charging system 'failure?' Did you just have too much heated gear plugged in? Other than push-start and/or charging the battery when you got home did you have to do any repairs?

·
Registered
87 Posts
No issues with the Wee that I didn't cause. Once, I too broke the shift pedal and use a small vice grip to get me to a dealer in Rapid City,SD. It's one fantastic machine. IMO the Strom is the closest you will find to a perfect all around bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts